A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Attaching front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attaching front license plate

Dumb question, but how does one attach a license plate to this? There are no holes at the top that align with my license plate. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You just make your own with self tapping screws.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You just make your own with self tapping screws.
And no screws longer than 8mm. You don't want to screw into the grill.

Just center the plate in the bracket, then use the screws to mount it. There will be extra room around the plate because the bracket is shared with the US and Japanese license plates, so it has to accommodate both sizes.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
And no screws longer than 8mm. You don't want to screw into the grill.

Just center the plate in the bracket, then use the screws to mount it. There will be extra room around the plate because the bracket is shared with the US and Japanese license plates, so it has to accommodate both sizes.
I finally attached the license plate. I could not find self tapping screws that were 8mm (5/16"), so I ended up using #12 1/2" (13mm) with a washer instead. Between the thickness of the plate and the washer, the 1/2" worked perfectly.

I had to shift the plate as far up as possible (see my original photo) to ensure that aluminum would not get damaged. When I took my plate holder off, there was a styrofoam backing (probably about 1/4" in thickness) that is placed to cover the gray part of the grill underneath. Where the aluminum protrudes further out, the styrofoam was grooved.

Even with the 1/2" screws, I was worried that it might damage the protruding aluminum part of the grill, so I wanted to make sure I was screwing into the thickest part of the styrofoam, which meant shifting the plate as far upwards as possible.

And to be extra careful, I did attach with the license holder off the car, so I could see how far the screws might protrude after installation. Happy to say the tip of the screw did not pop through on the styrofoam, which means it was not going to touch the gray part of the grill.

Finally, to install, I first drilled the holes, then used the self-tapping screws as suggested. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to do same thing on my '15 Q5 3.0T. I found out on here to use the self tapping screws. Having to figure it out myself still doesn't make sense on a cars this expensive, and from the Audi brand.

Audi....why wouldn't you deliver cars that are ready to screw a plate on easily?
Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Had to do same thing on my '15 Q5 3.0T. I found out on here to use the self tapping screws. Having to figure it out myself still doesn't make sense on a cars this expensive, and from the Audi brand.

Audi....why wouldn't you deliver cars that are ready to screw a plate on easily?
While driving to multiple auto parts shops and then Home Depot to find short self-tapping screws, I kept saying to myself that this is ridiculous. How hard would it have been to produce a license plate holder for North America?!?

Now, with that said, after reading some of the stories here where dealers are using longer screws and just screwing right through the plate holder to the grille underneath, maybe it was best that I did this myself.

Even if they made a plate holder correctly sized, I have a feeling it would be cheap like the back one where the holes are in the right spot, but they put that little metal piece behind it so the screw has something to screw into. Well, when I took off the temporary tag, I noticed those little metal squares were rotated about 45 degrees. I squared them back up, but sure enough, when I attached my real plate, I must have applied a tad too much pressure to one of them, and now it must be spinning freely as it stripped the plastic and I can't get it off now. Oh well, that's why there are three others!
Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can always use one of these instead:

Found here https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_...10127016_22246
Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tascon
You can always use one of these instead:

Found here https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_...10127016_22246
Lol. So OTP
Old 11-01-2016, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fixpoint
While driving to multiple auto parts shops and then Home Depot to find short self-tapping screws, I kept saying to myself that this is ridiculous. How hard would it have been to produce a license plate holder for North America?!?

Now, with that said, after reading some of the stories here where dealers are using longer screws and just screwing right through the plate holder to the grille underneath, maybe it was best that I did this myself.

Even if they made a plate holder correctly sized, I have a feeling it would be cheap like the back one where the holes are in the right spot, but they put that little metal piece behind it so the screw has something to screw into. Well, when I took off the temporary tag, I noticed those little metal squares were rotated about 45 degrees. I squared them back up, but sure enough, when I attached my real plate, I must have applied a tad too much pressure to one of them, and now it must be spinning freely as it stripped the plastic and I can't get it off now. Oh well, that's why there are three others!
My A4 is coming probably early next week, maybe this weekend. When I told my salesperson to not drill the bumper to install the front plate & that I would do the tow-hook thing, he told me that the plate holder was installed at the factory already. He said that they could de-install the plate holder and provide a screw hole cover.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the opposite problem. There is no mounting plate on the front of my 2016 Allroad, and no screw holes anywhere in the grill. What do I need in order to put the front plate on? FYI, I was ticketed last year in NY for not having a front plate on a different car. Cars are registered in MD.
thanks.

Quick Reply: Attaching front license plate