Audi A4 B9 MMI Wifi

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B9 MMI Wifi

Hi All,

Looking for some Audi education.
:Picked up my new Audi A4 B9 2 weeks ago.
Does Audi wifi connect in the background whilst I am connected to bluetooth ?

I ask because whilst I am connected to bluetooth and tab into the menus the Audi wifi is not connected,
When I do try to connect it takes a few mins before it connects.
I guess my follow question is that when connected to wifi does bluetooth run in the background ?

As a side note what do i need (as the driver of the car) wifi for.
I am still unsure what are the uses - as the driver of the car.
Other than connecting to web radio(which is useless as it constantly disconnects)I cannot see what other uses it has.
I get that passengers can use it to connect to wifi but what does the driver need it for?
Is there any features available on wifi connection that you cant get on bluetooth connection ?

Am I missing the point ?
Any information will help as the manual is confusing on this issue

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2018, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

A little simplified but Bluetooth is for audio while WiFi is for data. Your MMI shares its Internet connection via WiFi and your phone can use that connection instead of its own data plan. The MMI data plan is limited though, so you may get a better deal from the unlimited data plan on your phone that you may have.

You can listen to your music on the phone via bluetooth, USB or WiFi. When you start the MMI, USB is the first that starts playing. You can also charge you phone while playing music via USB. Bluetooth is next and makes the MMI act like a wireless speaker. There are actually two Bluetooth connections, one for the telephone where the MMI is a mono handsfree speaker/microphone and another for audio (A2DP) where the MMI is a wireless stereo speaker. If you phone is connected to the car's WiFi you can stream music via DLNA player. The Audi MMI app is a DLNA player an allows streaming music to the MMI. It can also connect to the car over the Internet while not. being connected to the car's WiFi for some other features.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Enjoy the WiFi for six months, them decide if you’re willing to pay for it.

While you have it, you can use it as a more detailed search function in maps. If you have the Audi connect app loaded on your phone, you can see if the car is locked, where it’s parked, and how much gas you have.