A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Connect question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Audi Connect question

Ok, I will admit to being a non-techy guy, and I will confirm that with this question. If you have Navigation and Apple Play, what does Audi Connect offer you that you can't get from your Iphone and Navigation system, besides Google maps?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally I just prefer Audi Connect for navigation as it integrates with the car better... Virtual Cockpit etc. CarPlay just feels like I'm using the MMI screen as an external monitor for my phone when I could just use the car's built-in features.

Having said that, I can't think of any specific features that Audi Connect offers that your iPhone connected via CarPlay doesn't (on the Navigation side of things). Just generally (for me) a nicer experience to use.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

4G LTE Wifi hot spot, locking and unlocking from your phone, and other app features.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
4G LTE Wifi hot spot, locking and unlocking from your phone, and other app features.
4G LTE hotspot? So that offers internet access for computers and Ipads?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bob m
4G LTE hotspot? So that offers internet access for computers and Ipads?
Yes, you can connect up to 8 devices to your car. You have it free for the 1st 6 months of your ownership. Go to TEL, then the right option menu and then to the Wifi menu. Make sure hotspot is turned on and change your password to something that is easier to remember than the pre-programmed one.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, you can connect up to 8 devices to your car. You have it free for the 1st 6 months of your ownership. Go to TEL, then the right option menu and then to the Wifi menu. Make sure hotspot is turned on and change your password to something that is easier to remember than the pre-programmed one.
Thanks, when should hotspot be turned on? Only when its needed or be left on at all times?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My apologies I thought we were just discussing the navigation features... Yes I would echo these other comments. It's certainly a feature to go for if you're considering it.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks, when should hotspot be turned on? Only when its needed or be left on at all times?
You could leave it on all of the time.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You could leave it on all of the time.

And that would no affect on monthly phone/Internet charges?
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Everybody coming from an older Audi with AudiConnect will need to reset everything you know when getting a 2017 A4 or Q7. There is no Sirius traffic anymore, for any traffic data to be used with the Navigation Plus you will need AudiConnect. There is no Google Earth overlay or Google Search anymore without active AudiConnect subscription. There is no more Internet sharing using a personal SIM (at least without a hack).

The Navigation Plus in the MMI will work just fine without AudiConnect. You won't get rerouting on traffic data or the pretty Google Earth overlay but it will get you from A to B. You also get map updates but it's not clear if that's for 2.5 years (first 5 updates after the factory installed version) if you don;t have AudiConnect or the whole time while you have an active AudiConnect subscription.

Music streaming will work just fine, either via BT or USB, with or without CarPlay. Playing video from the SD card will also work.

I found the Internet sharing on AT&T not as reliable or fast as using my Verizon iPhone (in Chicagoland that is). So for any Internet connectivity I would probably use my phone's hotspot feature rather than the AudiConnect hotspot. On the other hand does an AudiConnect subscription give you 6GB of hotspot data (they are not saying if this is down only or a combination of down and up).

IMHO the main AudiConnect feature is the nice Google Earth overlay, second is Inrix traffic and Google Search. Last is the WiFi hotspot and remote app. Is that worth $750 for 30 months or $199 for 6 months (both including 6GB of WiFi hotspot)? Maybe, that's the question that everybody has to answer on his or her own.

I decided to likely continue my AudiConnect subscription, mainly or almost exclusively for Google Earth. If I do so I will go for the 30 months plan because I don't plan on using WiFi clients in the car most of the time. If there is ever the need for WiFi I will use my t-mobile SIM in the MMI so that the iPad users and stream Netflix and others for free. As an additional benefit does AudiConnect allow Blackvue dash cam to use its cloud features and my Plex server is happier also.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect question