A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi's key mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Audi's key mistake

I attended an outdoor event tonight in an almost pitch-black field. Somewhere in that field, I lost my house keys. Luckily, I keep my car key on a separate key ring.

But what if I had lost my car key? I would be up the creek! I mean, who carries a spare remote key on him or her? With my previous three Audis, I had a small, flat "valet key" that I could keep in my wallet. And believe me, there were many times I was lucky I had it.

But this time around if I had lost my remote key, I would have been in big trouble. I keep my spare car remote key in a safe in my house, but the key to my safe was on my house-key ring, so that's gone, too. So it's not like I could've sent somebody to my house to pick up my spare car key. Luckily, I do have a spare house key and safe key hidden in a safe place, so I was able to get into my house.

Meanwhile, I'm curious about what other Audi owners do about having their spare key available for emergencies.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Never had an issue with keys, the spare one is in a drawer somewhere but that's it, never 'lost' the main key, ever...
Old 01-05-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good answer 🤨
Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Never had an issue with keys, the spare one is in a drawer somewhere but that's it, never 'lost' the main key, ever...
Um, let's hope you don't. Especially far away from home.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use to keep it in my wallet, but decided to do this instead. Been there for 5+ years and luckily never needed.

That's where the tow hook goes. The square piece just pops out using any flat object.

Black plastic tie holds key once pushed inside opening. No issues staying there for 5 years.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I never put my B9 key fob on a key ring. When I head out of the house with the car, I always keep it separate and put it in my jeans or shorts front pocket or zip it in a coat pocket if I’m wearing one. Then, all the time I’m out with the car and whatever I’m doing, I never touch the key. This might not work for everyone but it works well for me.

I started doing this a couple of cars ago ago. I always have to be going for my key ring for a key or store loyalty card. I was dropping my key ring way too often and my expensive car key fobs were really taking a beating as they bounced off the deck. Plus it added a lot of bulk to my key ring I didn’t want.

Last edited by Dave W; 01-06-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
I use to keep it in my wallet, but decided to do this instead. Been there for 5+ years and luckily never needed.

That's where the tow hook goes. The square piece just pops out using any flat object.

Black plastic tie holds key once pushed inside opening. No issues staying there for 5 years.
This is probably what you are referring to about the flat valet key. If however, you have a convenience key where you just press the start button with the fob in proximity, Does that fob allow you to disengage the physical key from the body of the remote, whereby you can physically open the car door? If so, I'd place that physical part that opens the door similar to what I've done on either the rear or front tow hook opening and keep the other part of the remote in the trunk. In a bag that won't allow the transmitter to be recognized by the car and therefore start the car. That is, until the body of the remote is removed from the bag. An EZ pass type bag/pouch to keep the tag from being read.

My fob allows for physical door lock key to open door.

Last edited by lmariorod; 01-05-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

this is the exact reason why like Dave, I never keep all my keys together. I don't really use my housekeys in the first place, unless the garage dies on me lol. The car key is always separate when I am carrying both sets, for this exact reason. If I am going to be in a crowded area, I will put the car key zipped in my jacket pocket, etc. almost 30 years of carrying a car key, have yet to lose one
Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Never lost car keys either, but I also keep them separate from my keyring with house and office keys. I have enough security at home that I feel comfortable keeping the spare key in an unlocked location, so it would not be difficult to send someone to fetch the spare keys.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I echo what others have said. Nothing else gets co-"ringed" with my car key. When I'm out, my car key goes in a front pants pocket by itself, so that I never accidentally pull it out looking for something else, or a zippered pocket, again by itself. If I'm doing some activity where it'd be inconvenient to have the key in the pocket of something Im wearing (e.g. swimming) then I usually have a backpack or similar with me, and I clip the key to a strap inside the bag. When I ski, I clip the key to a tether built into my pants or jacket. (I once lost my car key on the mountain many years ago. A local locksmith came out and was able to fabricate a key on the spot. He said he does it all the time. This was the mid-90's.)

I dont think there's any zero-risk solution that completely sidesteps both external risks and one's own potential forgetfulness.

Quick Reply: Audi's key mistake