A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi's key mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marz1
What happens when the car’s battery dies and the doors are locked? And what is the point of the valet key slot on driver’s door when no key is included with the car?
From the manual:

Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6

A key is included with your car. It is in the FOB. And you can also unlock the car with your myAudi app.
The myAudi app won't exactly do you any good if the car's battery is dead...
Old 01-06-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys are killing me.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A4Driver
No, I'm referring to the flat, black plastic key that you showed in your other photo. A key like that is not available for the B9 A4.

The current chrome key section you pictured will never fit in my wallet ... and wouldn't start the car, either.
Well mine would. The plastic valet key opens the door...I place the valet key inside this plastic fob, found inside the glove box and insert into slot to start car.

This plastic fob for use with plastic valet key to start car. This stays in my glove box and plastic key in tow hook.

You could also if your key comes apart. Place key in tow hook area, body of fob in EZ-pass pouch in trunk. Open door with key in tow hook, pop open trunk once inside car, retrieve body of fob from bag, start car. Am I missing something?? Maybe newer Audis don't have physical key slot on drivers door?
I don't have a newer Audi but a 2013.

Last edited by lmariorod; 01-06-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Well mine would. The plastic valet key opens the door...I place the valet key inside this plastic fob, found inside the glove box and insert into slot to start car.

This plastic fob for use with plastic valet key to start car. This stays in my glove box and plastic key in tow hook.
but from the looks of the key you don’t have a B9,
chassis car, rendering your idea unusable for the op or anyone else with one

Old 01-06-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

but from the looks of the key you don’t have a B9,
chassis car, rendering your idea unusable for the op or anyone else with one

I so stated I have a 2013 (B8.5) However does the key come apart from the fob? If it does, can the spare key not be placed in the tow hook area? And the body of the fob in an EZ-Pass pouch in the trunk? Open door with spare key from tow hook, pop open trunk, remove fob from bag and start car. No? That's what I would do If I didn't have the Valet fob and key. And was worried as OP about losing my fob.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, if I ever wanted to quit my day job and start stealing cars, I'm definitely going to start checking inside the tow hook cover for spare keys...
Old 01-06-2019, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6

A key is included with your car. It is in the FOB. And you can also unlock the car with your myAudi app.
Good note! That’s what I’m talking about. As opposed to what mentioned in couple of posts earlier, a flat key is included with our cars. It’s just part of the FOB now instead of being stand alone. My CC has a similar setup and you could also lock the trunk, rear pass through and glove box in that car with the flat key for valet situations.

Last edited by marz1; 01-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The only option is to hide a second keyfob WITHOUT battery in the car, and used it for emergency starts, like the one OP describe.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by marz1
Good note! That’s what I’m talking about. As opposed to what mentioned in couple of posts earlier, a flat key is included with our cars. It’s just part of the FOB now instead of being stand alone. My CC has a similar setup and you could also lock the trunk, rear pass through and glove box in that car with the flat key for valet situations.
The "flat" key included with my B9 is flat only in terms of the blade. When you pull it out of the fob, the thick (a little more than 1/4 inch) top part comes out with it. This does not make it useful for storage in one's wallet as was the case with the old plastic flat keys.

Quick Reply: Audi's key mistake