A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 A4 Recommended Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default B9 A4 Recommended Tire Pressure

As per request by a posted in another thread and for the sake of those who can't find the time to read the manual, the following information comes from the B9 A4 Owners Manual, Page 328:

A4 with the 2.0L 4-cyl. Gasoline Engine with:

225/50 R17 94H All-season Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 30/28
Max. Load (F/R psi): 35/35

245/40 R18 93Y High-performance Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 30/28
Max. Load (F/R psi): 33/33

245/40 R18 97H All-Season Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 35/32
Max. Load (F/R psi): 36/36

245/35 R19 93Y High Performance Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 36/33
Max. Load (F/R psi): 41/44

Note: Normal load is defined as having up to 3 persons in the car most of the time.

Last edited by plat27265; 10-20-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting that up. I'm sure it's gonna help people out!

Also it's in the door jamb too, a sticker there will indicate pressure for the wheels/tires that your car came with. I was shocked to find my car was delivered with 49 psi in each tire. I asked the sales rep why that was (he was texting me to follow up) and he was like "they put in what the tire says". LOL, it does not say 49.

Really the easiest thing to do for anyone that doesn't know what they're doing is to go by the door jamb.

Last edited by oesman; 10-20-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As soon as I discovered this in the manual a while back I dropped my pressures down from the door sticker (maximum load) recommendation. Makes a noticeable difference in ride quality, especially with the sport suspension.

Dave

Last edited by Dave W; 10-21-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does higher/lower pressures affect tire wear, especially cornering at speed? I would think higher pressure would give a stiffer ride but longer tire life.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arkive
How does higher/lower pressures affect tire wear, especially cornering at speed? I would think higher pressure would give a stiffer ride but longer tire life.
If the differences aren't too extreme, the effect on tire wear would be relatively small over the life of the tires.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
As soon as I discovered this in the manual a while back I dropped my pressures down from the door sticker (maximum load) recommendation. Makes a noticeable difference in ride quality, especially with the sport suspension.

Dave
That's so good to know. What PSI did you drop it down to?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higher pressures will cause uneven wear, just different kinds. Particularly in the wide, low-profile tires on these cars, over-inflation can lead to excessive wear in the middle part of the tread. Under-inflation can lead to over-heating, which leads to tire failure. Under-inflation is also not going to do your rims any favors when you inevitably hit a pothole.

I don't mean to sound d*ckish, but correctly inflating tires is something that's never given me trouble. Recommended pressures have been in the door jamb on every vehicle I've ever driven, and it's something I check/maintain regularly, particularly before a long trip or when the temperature drops.

I have a compressor in the garage, and I bought this (https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ortby=ourPicks) about 15 years ago. It reads 2 psi low, according to my TPMS, so I inflate to 2 psi over and I'm good to go. With 8 vehicle tires, 8 trailer tires, and more bicycle tires than I can count, it's the only way to go - you'll never miss trying to find a service station with a working air hose, and enough quarters to get the job done.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
That's so good to know. What PSI did you drop it down to?
I have the 18" All Season Pirellis, so I go 35 psi in the front and 32 psi rear.

Dave

Last edited by Dave W; 10-21-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin' SV
Higher pressures will cause uneven wear, just different kinds. Particularly in the wide, low-profile tires on these cars, over-inflation can lead to excessive wear in the middle part of the tread. Under-inflation can lead to over-heating, which leads to tire failure. Under-inflation is also not going to do your rims any favors when you inevitably hit a pothole.

I don't mean to sound d*ckish, but correctly inflating tires is something that's never given me trouble. Recommended pressures have been in the door jamb on every vehicle I've ever driven, and it's something I check/maintain regularly, particularly before a long trip or when the temperature drops.

I have a compressor in the garage, and I bought this (https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ortby=ourPicks) about 15 years ago. It reads 2 psi low, according to my TPMS, so I inflate to 2 psi over and I'm good to go. With 8 vehicle tires, 8 trailer tires, and more bicycle tires than I can count, it's the only way to go - you'll never miss trying to find a service station with a working air hose, and enough quarters to get the job done.
Yes, but the whole point here from Plat's useful post is that the pressures on the door jamb are NOT RECOMMENDED for most people most of the time. The correct pressure, which is Normal load, is in the Manual.

Audi are eking out an extra 0.5mpg or so on certification at the expense of their owners suffering a lousy ride, compromised handling, and excessive rear tyre wear by putting Maximum load rather than Normal load numbers on the door jamb. They do not do it in other markets from what I have seen. They have both Normal and Maximum on the door jamb stickers elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Swappy (05-24-2020)
Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

You can thank the Ford explorer and firestone tires for the door jambs all now showing max load for the tires...

Quick Reply: B9 A4 Recommended Tire Pressure