A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 Stick Shift -- inconsistent shift feel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default B9 Stick Shift -- inconsistent shift feel

My 2018 A4 with a stick shift has been experiencing some odd behavior... Hoping that someone with lots of Audi stick shift experience (either B9 or previous models) can weigh in and provide some guidance as to what could be happening before I have the dealership attempt to diagnose. First off, when i first bought the car, my original opinion of the stick shift feel was that its one of the best I've driven. I've owned Honda, Mazda, and Toyota sticks, and prior to this Audi, I would say that the Mazda one (Mazda 3 skyactiv) was my top choice. I love how the shifting has this "snap-snap" feel. Well, for the past 2 weeks, my third gear began to feel a little rubbery without the "snap-snap" feel and it just feels weird when it happens, especially when all other gears are so crisp. It just feels numb and not very satisfying It doesn't happen all the time, but at least several times during each drive. The car has 5,500 miles. At first I started to think this could be a normal Audi/VW stick shift feel, but after reaching out to a few stick owners on the forum, i think what I am experiencing could be an anomaly.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm maybe someone else can chime in. I'm not experiencing any third gear problems. Do you ever get a "thunk" sound when starting off a low- to medium- throttle? That's the weird one for me.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 860 miles on my 2018 A4 (sport plus 6 speed) and its given me some strange issues I am concerned about. Twice, my clutch pedal has been to the floor yet I could not shift out of 2nd gear because the pedal had not relayed to the transmission possibly.

I also get some strange movement in my seat. I feel like there is something very heavy revolving underneath the car when the AC is on and I am at a stop. This started about 4 days ago and has occurred 5-6 times out of the 12-15 times I have started and driven the car.

Also, the auto start / stop engages VERY early, prior to a complete stop. Sometimes when the car is still at 1-2mph but coming to a stop.

Hopefully I can chime back in when I have more miles. Cars almost broken in

Pros: Car warms up incredibly fast. Insanely quiet car for quite possibly with windows up, maddening wind noise with them down. I love driving with the front windows down but this A4 has way too much noise and wind drag. Its seriously a concern for me. Never experienced anything like it.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the occasional "thunk" or almost a slippage feel when launching at low to medium throttle, maybe like ptmdsharp is describing. I don't have any issues related to shifting into third.

I can't recommend the OBDeleven enough to eliminate the auto stop/start. Game changer. Also, eliminate the seat belt chime. Another personal favorite.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

YES! At low to medium throttle. Glad to know I'm not going mad. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, at least I know I’m not imagining things dropping the car off today for some other warranty work and will mention this as well and see what happens.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any update?
Old 04-26-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default good ol' "couldn't replicate"

Originally Posted by anoop
any update?
Not really :/ The only thing i was told is that the tech didn't feel anything. Happens just about every day especially when i first start driving. Now that the temps are warming up, its happening less I think but still there. After driving for about 10 miles, the shifts get crisp again and I think to myself "well, maybe it just needed to be warmed up" but then you get this one not so crisp shift and disappointment sets in once more. Could this be a normal VAG stick shift feel? All of my previous sticks were Japanese...