A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Canadian Options - Which are worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Options - Which are worth it?

I recently started shopping around for a new car (currently driving a '15 ATS) and really fell in love with the A4. I was looking for something with a deep technical integration, something fun to drive and something comfortable in long distances. From everything I've read, this seems to check all boxes.

Then we get to the options and trims and I start to wonder about how worthwhile some options are. Here are a few questions I'm hoping the community can help with:

* The Technik package is the only one with the B&O sound system and VC. You can't get these otherwise. The VC is really cool, but the inability to throw Google Maps (and soon Waze via AA) is really disappointing. I plan on leasing, so modifying code isn't something I'm too crazy about doing. Do we have any idea if this is planning on changing any time soon? Also, what can I expect to be different out of the box with the nav compared to US models?

* Does anyone have experience with the ADAP? $2,000 is quite a bit of money and from what I've read, stuff like pre sense city isn't all that useful up here. Is the active lane assist and adaptive cruise really worth the cost?

* Adaptive damping suspension - While reading on Audi's site, it seems that if you want to be able to switch between driving modes (dynamic, auto and another I can't recall), you need this. Is that true?

* Finally one last question my dealer couldn't answer - Does the fob used to unlock the car set memory seating? E.g., can I unlock the car with 1 fob and have it auto-adjust all the seats/mirrors and have a 2nd fob do the same with a completely different setting (aka for the wife)?

* Pricing - Looks like as of yesterday, Audi is running a 1.9% lease and finance rate with $1,000 credit back. Is this about par for the course on deals? My current lease ends in August, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth breaking early or if this deal runs 3-4 times a year.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edelwild
* The Technik package is the only one with the B&O sound system and VC. You can't get these otherwise. The VC is really cool, but the inability to throw Google Maps (and soon Waze via AA) is really disappointing. I plan on leasing, so modifying code isn't something I'm too crazy about doing. Do we have any idea if this is planning on changing any time soon? Also, what can I expect to be different out of the box with the nav compared to US models?

Comment: Unless you're crazy into music - I don't recommend the Technik

* Does anyone have experience with the ADAP? $2,000 is quite a bit of money and from what I've read, stuff like pre sense city isn't all that useful up here. Is the active lane assist and adaptive cruise really worth the cost?

Comment: Not worth it in my opinion. If you use aggresive mirror angle which is how you should be driving anyways, there's no need for blind spot detection, the only useful feature IMO.

* Finally one last question my dealer couldn't answer - Does the fob used to unlock the car set memory seating? E.g., can I unlock the car with 1 fob and have it auto-adjust all the seats/mirrors and have a 2nd fob do the same with a completely different setting (aka for the wife)?

Comment: I don't think it comes w/ the basic package but the progressiv will have it (I have it).

* Pricing - Looks like as of yesterday, Audi is running a 1.9% lease and finance rate with $1,000 credit back. Is this about par for the course on deals? My current lease ends in August, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth breaking early or if this deal runs 3-4 times a year.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!
I would go w/ the S-Line Progressiv and LED upgrade. I've sat down and given it a LOT of thought and price-value-happiness level, I'm extremely satisfied.

Don't forget to enable developer view in AA and put 720 settings on so that you can use the fulls creen
Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not own a B9 A4 and I am not looking to buy one in the near future. But, I would like to share my opinion if I am considering to purchase one. My opinions are based on my experience with my S5.

* Technik Package: Definitely consider the getting the car in this trim for the B&O Sound System, if you appreciate better quality audio over the base Audi System. If you are the type of person who does not care about sound quality, then you can pass this one up. As for the Virtual Cockpit, in my opinion, if you want the car to be relevant for years to come, i.e. if you are planning to keep the car for a long period, the VC will be a benefit. I predict that all cars will eventually get VC. A good example is the new Honda CR-V. But, if you am just leasing it for a short time then VC is just a nice-to-have item. For this category, if leasing, just settle for the Progressiv Trim Line unless you have to have the B&O Sound System.

*ADAP: I am a type of driver who wants to be engaged in my driving all the time. I have read (but could not find the thread) that there are some drivers who just wish they could deactivate it. Here is a nice thread about a real world actual impression of ADAP:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...sions-2913497/

Personally, I will easily pass up ADAP under the Technik Package. Under the Progressiv Package, I will pick DAP because I find the top view camera, rear cross traffic alert, side assist, pre-sense rear, and exit warning valuable tools for safe operation of a vehicle. Progressiv's DAP is standard to the Technik Trim Line. And, I feel that this is all the DAP I need for now. I will be more at ease with ADAP if a lot of cars on the road have them and if their designers adhere to a common standard so traffic situations will be more controlled and predictable.

* Adaptive Suspension: All trim lines come with Audi Drive Select (ADS) which, in its base form, allows the driver to alter throttle response and transmission shift characteristics in different settings (Auto, Dynamic, and Comfort). Adaptive Suspension adds more flavor to ADS by changing the characteristics of the suspension based on the different ADS settings. If you want to enjoy driving your car once in a while and mixing things up, Adaptive Suspension is a must-have. But, if you just use the car for day-today mundane driving, you will not miss Adaptive Suspension.

* Key Fob and Seat Memory: My answer is yes because my 2016 S5 does it. And, I can disable or enable this feature in the MMI. If you want to learn more about it, I suggest reading the Owner Manual for a B9 A4. You can access the Owners Manual here:
Audi Online Owner's Manual

It will ask you for a VIN #. Just Google the net for a VIN# for a US B9 A4 and use it to access the Owners Manual.

* Pricing: Not sure about this but Audi does run seasonal deals regularly. The B9 A4 is their bread and butter car so they will have better deals on those compared to other models.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
I would go w/ the S-Line Progressiv and LED upgrade. I've sat down and given it a LOT of thought and price-value-happiness level, I'm extremely satisfied.

Don't forget to enable developer view in AA and put 720 settings on so that you can use the fulls creen
I wasn't a fan of the steering wheel when testing out the S-Line version. Do you know if that can be swapped out?

Also, what factors did you use when deciding on the Progressiv version of Technik or other options?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
I do not own a B9 A4 and I am not looking to buy one in the near future. But, I would like to share my opinion if I am considering to purchase one. My opinions are based on my experience with my S5.

* Technik Package: Definitely consider the getting the car in this trim for the B&O Sound System, if you appreciate better quality audio over the base Audi System. If you are the type of person who does not care about sound quality, then you can pass this one up. As for the Virtual Cockpit, in my opinion, if you want the car to be relevant for years to come, i.e. if you are planning to keep the car for a long period, the VC will be a benefit. I predict that all cars will eventually get VC. A good example is the new Honda CR-V. But, if you am just leasing it for a short time then VC is just a nice-to-have item. For this category, if leasing, just settle for the Progressiv Trim Line unless you have to have the B&O Sound System.

*ADAP: I am a type of driver who wants to be engaged in my driving all the time. I have read (but could not find the thread) that there are some drivers who just wish they could deactivate it. Here is a nice thread about a real world actual impression of ADAP:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...sions-2913497/

Personally, I will easily pass up ADAP under the Technik Package. Under the Progressiv Package, I will pick DAP because I find the top view camera, rear cross traffic alert, side assist, pre-sense rear, and exit warning valuable tools for safe operation of a vehicle. Progressiv's DAP is standard to the Technik Trim Line. And, I feel that this is all the DAP I need for now. I will be more at ease with ADAP if a lot of cars on the road have them and if their designers adhere to a common standard so traffic situations will be more controlled and predictable.

* Adaptive Suspension: All trim lines come with Audi Drive Select (ADS) which, in its base form, allows the driver to alter throttle response and transmission shift characteristics in different settings (Auto, Dynamic, and Comfort). Adaptive Suspension adds more flavor to ADS by changing the characteristics of the suspension based on the different ADS settings. If you want to enjoy driving your car once in a while and mixing things up, Adaptive Suspension is a must-have. But, if you just use the car for day-today mundane driving, you will not miss Adaptive Suspension.

* Key Fob and Seat Memory: My answer is yes because my 2016 S5 does it. And, I can disable or enable this feature in the MMI. If you want to learn more about it, I suggest reading the Owner Manual for a B9 A4. You can access the Owners Manual here:
Audi Online Owner's Manual

It will ask you for a VIN #. Just Google the net for a VIN# for a US B9 A4 and use it to access the Owners Manual.

* Pricing: Not sure about this but Audi does run seasonal deals regularly. The B9 A4 is their bread and butter car so they will have better deals on those compared to other models.
Thanks for the detailed answer here.

I definitely love audio and it's one of the reasons I love the Bose system in my ATS. I hear a lot of people saying the B&O is far superior to the other trims, but I suppose I should try and listen for myself.

You mention almost future-proofing yourself with the VC since most cars will upgrade to that eventually. Does Audi have a history of upgrading their software when new things are released? For example, let's say the '18 version allows for AA in the VC area. Would Audi likely (or have they done similar things in the past) update the '17 A4 to allow for the same functionality?

Adaptive suspension - I definitely do like to mix things up once in a while, although I wonder if it's not often enough. I will say that if I wanted a "standard" car for every day use, I probably wouldn't be looking at this. Maybe I just convinced myself to get it.

Thanks for additional comments on ADAP and key fobs. Will check those out shortly.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I wasn't a fan of the steering wheel when testing out the S-Line version. Do you know if that can be swapped out?

Also, what factors did you use when deciding on the Progressiv version of Technik or other options?
OMG! You don't like the S-Line steering wheel! Crazy haha

Um... to me the Technik, if you look at it over all, is a bunch of gadgetry added for a lot of money. The only thing that stood out to me was the blind spot system but meh, I'm a very active drive so it wouldn't have helped me out. The sound system upgrade is not that good IMO. There's a few guys on here that made their own upgrades at professional shops, for way less money and have a way better system now than B&O.
For me, investing the money into the S-Line was much more important. I loved all of the features that comes w/ teh Sline, especially:
- seats
- wheels
- bumpers * look (lowered suspension, but really not that stiff - really difficult to the tell the difference - most of the difference comes from wheel/tyre size)
- S-Line illuminated sills (this is on the gadget end but damn it looks so good. EVERY single person that gets in at night is like... Damn. That's hot)

Also... if you're leasing... why do you care about "future proofing" your car w/ VC? If you're not really inclined to it... doesn't matter... It's a lease.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
OMG! You don't like the S-Line steering wheel! Crazy haha

Um... to me the Technik, if you look at it over all, is a bunch of gadgetry added for a lot of money. The only thing that stood out to me was the blind spot system but meh, I'm a very active drive so it wouldn't have helped me out. The sound system upgrade is not that good IMO. There's a few guys on here that made their own upgrades at professional shops, for way less money and have a way better system now than B&O.
For me, investing the money into the S-Line was much more important. I loved all of the features that comes w/ teh Sline, especially:
- seats
- wheels
- bumpers * look (lowered suspension, but really not that stiff - really difficult to the tell the difference - most of the difference comes from wheel/tyre size)
- S-Line illuminated sills (this is on the gadget end but damn it looks so good. EVERY single person that gets in at night is like... Damn. That's hot)

Also... if you're leasing... why do you care about "future proofing" your car w/ VC? If you're not really inclined to it... doesn't matter... It's a lease.
I'm not actually all that interested in future-proofing. It was brought up, so it interests me. Plus, who knows, maybe at the end of the lease I'll buy outright, so it's still good to know.

I didn't actually know there was an option for illuminated sills. Must have missed that. Will Google and see if there are pics
Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed answer here.

I definitely love audio and it's one of the reasons I love the Bose system in my ATS. I hear a lot of people saying the B&O is far superior to the other trims, but I suppose I should try and listen for myself.
Sound quality is very subjective. I have heard people say good things about the base Audi, B&O and Bose Systems. And, I have heard the opposite. Heck, my parents do not have any ear for quality music systems. They think it is just a waste of money. You are correct when you said that you should try it yourself and see if your ears appreciate the upgraded sound. Bring along your favorite music source, say a CD or portable music player, and do a listening test. Play around with the settings to your ears' pleasure and see how the base and upgraded stereo compare. Your ears and your wallet will have the final say concerning this matter. Other people will have their opinions and I respect them for that. I am an audio-visual system designer and audio systems are part of what I do for a living. The B&O System is definitely a step up in terms of sound quality from the base Audi System. While I am not a big fan of the Bang and Olufsen brand and their tech, I prefer the better sound quality over the stock Audi System.

You mention almost future-proofing yourself with the VC since most cars will upgrade to that eventually. Does Audi have a history of upgrading their software when new things are released? For example, let's say the '18 version allows for AA in the VC area. Would Audi likely (or have they done similar things in the past) update the '17 A4 to allow for the same functionality?
No, unfortunately, unless it is a safety related issue, Audi will not or does not upgrade any of their software. If there was an upgrade, you are expected to pay through the nose for it. A good example are map updates. The dealership will sell it to you for an arm and two legs :-)

Adaptive suspension - I definitely do like to mix things up once in a while, although I wonder if it's not often enough. I will say that if I wanted a "standard" car for every day use, I probably wouldn't be looking at this. Maybe I just convinced myself to get it.

Thanks for additional comments on ADAP and key fobs. Will check those out shortly.
Good luck! Keep us posted with you shopping adventure, observations, and decisions!

Last edited by plat27265; 05-02-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
Sound quality is very subjective. I have heard people say good things about the base Audi, B&O and Bose Systems. And, I have heard the opposite. Heck, my parents do not have any ear for quality music systems. They think it is just a waste of money. You are correct when you said that you should try it yourself and see if your ears appreciate the upgraded sound. Bring along your favorite music source, say a CD or portable music player, and do a listening test. Play around with the settings to your ears' pleasure and see how the base and upgraded stereo compare. Your ears and your wallet will have the final say concerning this matter. Other people will have their opinions and I respect them for that. I am an audio-visual system designer and audio systems are part of what I do for a living. The B&O System is definitely a step up in terms of sound quality from the base Audi System. While I am not a big fan of the Bang and Olufsen brand and their tech, I prefer the better sound quality over the stock Audi System.

No, unfortunately, unless it is a safety related issue, Audi will not or does not upgrade any of their software. If there was an upgrade, you are expected to pay through the nose for it. A good example are map updates. The dealership will sell it to you for an arm and two legs :-)

Good luck! Keep us posted with you shopping adventure, observations, and decisions!
Thanks again. I think right now the biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is how worthwhile the Technik package is outside of the speaker system, especially with the US seemingly getting more features build-in.

I'm also very curious to see how the 2018s hold up, although not sure how long I'd have to wait to get details and even delivery.

Finally, anything else you think I should probably be taking into consideration here? It sounds like you've done far more research than me at this point, so definitely curious to hear what you think.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks again. I think right now the biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is how worthwhile the Technik package is outside of the speaker system, especially with the US seemingly getting more features build-in.

I'm also very curious to see how the 2018s hold up, although not sure how long I'd have to wait to get details and even delivery.

Finally, anything else you think I should probably be taking into consideration here? It sounds like you've done far more research than me at this point, so definitely curious to hear what you think.
Well, I did my research before I decided to buy my B8.5 S5. I won't pretend I know everything. I just know some things :-)

To determine if the Technik trim line is worthwhile for you or not, go through the added features that distinguish it from the Progressiv trim line and see if you can live with or without any of those features. Identify your wants and needs. If you are still undecided and want to experience any of those features, take a Progressiv and a Technik for a test drive and play around with those features until you are satisfied and ready to make a decision.

I believed you've covered all there is between the Progressiv and Technik trim lines. If there were other differences, they are minor.

For me, I settled on my Audi S5 in the Technik trim line because I wanted the B&O System, Adaptive Suspension Option, Dynamic Steering Option, and the rear motorised rear sunshade option. I did not pick the Adaptive Cruise Control because I feel I won't use it often enough to justify its cost. Plus, I have read about the radar sensor being easily mis-aligned if someone just nudged your bumper at the wrong place. The re-alignment cost is expensive and a hassle.

Quick Reply: Canadian Options - Which are worth it?