A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Comfort Adaptive Suspension Setting

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfort Adaptive Suspension Setting

Hi I'm looking at buying an A4 here in Australia and have driven a model with the standard sport (not adaptive) suspension which feels quite good across potholed roads. I was also wondering about getting the comfort (not sport) adaptive suspension but I don't have a chance to drive one so hoping some forum members might be able to help with this question.

If the comfort adapative suspension is in the dynamic mode does this still produce a somewhat sporty damped ride or is it still a bit underdamped.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Comfort Adaptive Suspension and love it. Around town I generally keep it on Auto, but when I'm on the road - especially if it's a winding road - I put it on Dynamic. A definite difference. Steering feels tighter and there's no question that it accelerates dramatically better. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clr1945
I have the Comfort Adaptive Suspension and love it. Around town I generally keep it on Auto, but when I'm on the road - especially if it's a winding road - I put it on Dynamic. A definite difference. Steering feels tighter and there's no question that it accelerates dramatically better. I'm very pleased with it.
It sounds like you're talking about the Drive Select modes, not just Comfort Adaptive Suspension. Switching between Drive Select modes between Auto and Dynamic will adjust the things you mention, but if you want to see ONLY the difference that the adaptive suspension makes, the way you'd do the comparison would be to set up the Drive Select Individual mode to match the sub-settings to match another mode except for the one you want to compare. For example I've been driving in the Dynamic Drive Select mode and wanted to see how the Auto mode of the adaptive suspension would be different, so I set the Individual Drive Select mode to use Dynamic for all of the sub-settings except for Suspension which I set to Auto. That way I can switch just the suspension back and forth without changing anything else by picking either Dynamic or Individual Drive Select. BTW, since I've got a manual transmission the acceleration isn't going to change because of Drive Select.

Last edited by sprior; 04-19-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprior
It sounds like you're talking about the Drive Select modes, not just Comfort Adaptive Suspension. Switching between Drive Select modes between Auto and Dynamic will adjust the things you mention, but if you want to see ONLY the difference that the adaptive suspension makes the way you'd do the comparison would be to set up the Drive Select Individual mode to match the sub-settings to match another mode except for the one you want to compare. For example I've been driving in the Dynamic Drive Select mode and wanted to see how the Auto mode of the adaptive suspension would be different, so I set the Individual Drive Select mode to use Dynamic for all of the sub-settings except for Suspension which I set to Auto. That way I can switch just the suspension back and forth without changing anything else by picking either Dynamic or Individual Drive Select. BTW, since I've got a manual transmission the acceleration isn't going to change because of Drive Select.
With the setup you have, do you notice a difference in the suspension between Dynamic and Individual Drive Select modes? Also, am I correct in interpreting that the comfort adaptive suspension controls are integrated into the drive select modes or is there a way to control it separately? I'm still waiting on my M/T B9 with comfort adaptive suspension that I ordered last month. Can't wait to try all of this out!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It sounds like you're talking about the Drive Select modes, not just Comfort Adaptive Suspension. Switching between Drive Select modes between Auto and Dynamic will adjust the things you mention, but if you want to see ONLY the difference that the adaptive suspension makes the way you'd do the comparison would be to set up the Drive Select Individual mode to match the sub-settings to match another mode except for the one you want to compare. For example I've been driving in the Dynamic Drive Select mode and wanted to see how the Auto mode of the adaptive suspension would be different, so I set the Individual Drive Select mode to use Dynamic for all of the sub-settings except for Suspension which I set to Auto. That way I can switch just the suspension back and forth without changing anything else by picking either Dynamic or Individual Drive Select. BTW, since I've got a manual transmission the acceleration isn't going to change because of Drive Select.
After all that insight you didn't actually answer my original question about the relative feel of the adaptive comfort suspension so if you have anything to share then feel free to let me know
Old 04-19-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

...... so I set the Individual Drive Select mode to use Dynamic for all of the sub-settings except for Suspension which I set to Auto. That way I can switch just the suspension back and forth without changing anything else by picking either Dynamic or Individual Drive Select. BTW, since I've got a manual transmission the acceleration isn't going to change because of Drive Select.
same here, but since mine's DSG I also use the shifter to put the tranny in "Sport" (and defeat the auto shutoff). Really like the adaptive damping suspension, very worthwhile IMO.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have the Comfort Adaptive Suspension. For my everyday commute, I typically leave it in the Individual setting with everything set to Dynamic, except for suspension which I set to Comfort. Toronto roads are terrible this time of year - full of potholes. Not much difference between the suspension modes when I had on my 17 inch winter tires, but it quite noticeable after switching to the 19 inch performance tires. In terms of drive select options, I only bother with Individual (as customized above to soften the suspension on bad roads) and Dynamic. Everything in comfort is just not fun to drive. I love the Comfort Adaptive Suspension for providing this flexibility.