A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Creaking noise due to faulty body panel - lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Hopefully i can fix like described here.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,

Did any of you have this problem on a 2018 A4 B9 (europe) and was helped by the TPI procedure?
Old 06-09-2024, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just made the tool and completed the body creak TSB repair on my '17 A4 Premium.

It went quite easily - the three underbody shields came off and went back together easily and the tool went in precisely to about the depth expected based on the pictures in the TSB. With a sharpie mark on the tool, you can tell that you're creating the necessary clearance based on how deep the tool goes into the hole before stopping. Only hint I would add is - the tool will want to rotate slightly towards the outside of the car on each side which is normal as the chisel tip finds the gap - this is normal and visible in the pictures in the TSB, but not called out explicitly. There were witness marks on the chisel tip confirming that it found its target.

The approved 3M cavity wax (08852) and equivalent products are readily available at auto and hardware stores, so I'll be getting a can later today to finish up the job.

Since I'm finished with the tool, I'm happy to sell it to a fellow B9 enthusiast - PM me if interested.

Old 06-16-2024, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an A4 Avant - 2019 with 59,700km, I started to notice a noise when accelerating at around 1000-2500 RPM.

I tried accelerating the car with the hood open at the same RPMs - I can't hear anything when the car is stopped, the engine runs silently. The engine was inspected, everything is fine, no fault codes, the suspension arms were also inspected and they are all in order. I have the impression that the sound comes from some internal part of the dashboard, from the Driver's side.

I found many topics on this subject, but I didn't find a video with the exact sound of my car. That's why I filmed the noise of my car.

I have already followed all the instructions in TPI 2044902/5. But unfortunately the noise continued the same way.

Find a video on YouTube where someone said that it is possible that the noise is from the steering column.

Old 06-16-2024, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sammk1234
Just made the tool and completed the body creak TSB repair on my '17 A4 Premium.

It went quite easily - the three underbody shields came off and went back together easily and the tool went in precisely to about the depth expected based on the pictures in the TSB. With a sharpie mark on the tool, you can tell that you're creating the necessary clearance based on how deep the tool goes into the hole before stopping. Only hint I would add is - the tool will want to rotate slightly towards the outside of the car on each side which is normal as the chisel tip finds the gap - this is normal and visible in the pictures in the TSB, but not called out explicitly. There were witness marks on the chisel tip confirming that it found its target.

The approved 3M cavity wax (08852) and equivalent products are readily available at auto and hardware stores, so I'll be getting a can later today to finish up the job.

Since I'm finished with the tool, I'm happy to sell it to a fellow B9 enthusiast - PM me if interested.

Hi sammy 1234

I followed all the instructions in TBI 2044902/5. I manufactured the tool according to the document's specifications, leaving a gap of 8mm between the pieces. But unfortunately, in my case, the noise remains the same. In my case, it comes from the driver's side.

Did it work for you?
Old 06-18-2024, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It did work partially and got rid of one of the very occasional noises I was experiencing. However, I still do have another noise which seems to be more prevalent and that usually manifests at low to medium speeds going over bumps, especially as the steering is turning. I'm starting to suspect strut mounts or suspension joints (ball joints, control arm bushing or such).

Ah, the fun continues...
Old 06-19-2024, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pcarvallo85
Hi sammy 1234

I followed all the instructions in TBI 2044902/5. I manufactured the tool according to the document's specifications, leaving a gap of 8mm between the pieces. But unfortunately, in my case, the noise remains the same. In my case, it comes from the driver's side.

Did it work for you?
I just watched your video again and it sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. If you find a fix, be sure to post it and I plan to do the same. You have under half the mileage of my car, so maybe it's not wear and tear but rather something giving up over time...?

If it's strut mounts or suspension joints, PITA no big deal. If it's CV joints, I'd be a bit surprised but no huge deal. If steering rack or anything like that it'll be end of my B9 journey I fear!
Old 07-12-2024, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@Pcarvallo85 , I did some more research and it appears that the remaining noise I'm experiencing is from the front control arms.

This is a video of the issue in the B8 (t=32s) but the B9 suspension set-up is close enough.

I'm going to let it go this year and attack it next summer.