A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Desperate for Bluetooth Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate for Bluetooth Help

In the Connections Manager my phone is showing up under the phone menu. However, when I try to play music via bluetooth it is saying no device is connected. I go to connection manager and expand the BT audio player menu and click on my phone. Then I get the following: The connection could not be established. I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.4.

My phone shows up under the various connection manager selections but I cannot check any of the boxes and in my phones bluetooth settings it is showing I am connected to Audi MMI.

In the menu it says bluetooth audio player deactivated but when I try to select my phone it says the connection could not be established.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I am not a technology idiot but I am getting very frustrated with this car since I have not been able to get this to work properly since day 1.

Is there a way to reset everything back to factory and start over? Should I do this?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had this issue initially and what resolved it was removing the Bluetooth pairing in connection manager, followed my initiating a new pairing, only this time I initiated the pairing by selecting the music player option in Bluetooth instead of the phone option.

This resulted in al Bluetooth functions being setup properly (and I too was on iOS 9.3.4). Hope that helps...

Ps: I may have disabled CarPlay prior to the above steps but I can't recall for sure. I do use carplay though so if I did disable it, I must have enabled it again right after I corrected the Bluetooth issue.

Originally Posted by HomerJay
In the Connections Manager my phone is showing up under the phone menu. However, when I try to play music via bluetooth it is saying no device is connected. I go to connection manager and expand the BT audio player menu and click on my phone. Then I get the following: The connection could not be established. I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.4.

My phone shows up under the various connection manager selections but I cannot check any of the boxes and in my phones bluetooth settings it is showing I am connected to Audi MMI.

In the menu it says bluetooth audio player deactivated but when I try to select my phone it says the connection could not be established.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I am not a technology idiot but I am getting very frustrated with this car since I have not been able to get this to work properly since day 1.

Is there a way to reset everything back to factory and start over? Should I do this?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zillerkaz
I had this issue initially and what resolved it was removing the Bluetooth pairing in connection manager, followed my initiating a new pairing, only this time I initiated the pairing by selecting the music player option in Bluetooth instead of the phone option.

This resulted in al Bluetooth functions being setup properly (and I too was on iOS 9.3.4). Hope that helps...

Ps: I may have disabled CarPlay prior to the above steps but I can't recall for sure. I do use carplay though so if I did disable it, I must have enabled it again right after I corrected the Bluetooth issue.
Thanks. That still didn't work but then I deleted the Audi BT profile from my phone and reboot it and it worked on the first try.

Is there a way to stream music from your phone when connected to the USB ports? When I connected I got a message it would disconnect BT and them my audio stopped playing. I like to keep my phone charged while driving and would hate to lose the streaming capability. Seems silly you wouldn't be able to stream via USB cable.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm able to play music over the USB connection. I have a iPhone 6S (iOS 9.3.4) and use Google Play Music. When I plug the connection in, it does disconnect BT, but then it jumps to the media player and plays fine. The phone ends up listed as iPhone 2 or iPod, I can't remember, but everything plays, album art shows up, and the controls work. Many people will say that the sound is actually better of USB, but others say they can't tell a difference.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks. That still didn't work but then I deleted the Audi BT profile from my phone and reboot it and it worked on the first try.

Is there a way to stream music from your phone when connected to the USB ports? When I connected I got a message it would disconnect BT and them my audio stopped playing. I like to keep my phone charged while driving and would hate to lose the streaming capability. Seems silly you wouldn't be able to stream via USB cable.

Thanks for the help.
Go to media, go to the left menu, and you should be able to select USB as long as you are not connected to car play.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Go to media, go to the left menu, and you should be able to select USB as long as you are not connected to car play.
Thanks, I have no USB selection but I do have a little icon that looks like an early model iPod. However, when I select that it says "No playable files" even though I am streaming Google Play Music.

Are these common issues? I am surprised I am having so much difficulty with this as I've never had an issue in any other car. Even my Ford Flex with MyFord Touch and Microsoft Sync has seamless plug and play integration. This seems a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

I appreciate all the help and patience.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks, I have no USB selection but I do have a little icon that looks like an early model iPod. However, when I select that it says "No playable files" even though I am streaming Google Play Music.

Are these common issues? I am surprised I am having so much difficulty with this as I've never had an issue in any other car. Even my Ford Flex with MyFord Touch and Microsoft Sync has seamless plug and play integration. This seems a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

I appreciate all the help and patience.
I'm not too familiar with iPhones (own 0 Apple products), but perhaps try putting a song into the native iPhone music app and see if it plays.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have CarPlay enabled or disabled?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by unashamedgeek
Do you have CarPlay enabled or disabled?
CarPlay is disabled. I have nothing checked under Audi smartphone in the connection manager. I essentially followed the instructions in the post linked below and I get the same screens but when the system makes the switch to USB I get the "No playable files" message.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24808893
Old 08-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. I just went and tested mine again. When I start my car, my phone connects with BT. I then plug in my cable from the arm storage and I get message that says BT audio will stop and will continue over the cable. The media player that looks like the old school iPod with a 2 in the name comes up and my Google Play Music launches and starts playing music.
I'd make sure that I had the Google Music app up and working before connecting the cable, but other than that, I'm not really sure why your music won't play.

Quick Reply: Desperate for Bluetooth Help