A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Discussion: Flashing Firmwares to your A4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Discussion: Flashing Firmwares to your A4

Ok so first and foremost, thank you and credit to @aberbic @bruce_miranda @blue_pond and everyone that contributed to the VC thread. I created this thread because I don't want to further thread jack the VC thread. For those who questions and discussions regarding flashing FWs to your A4, let's discuss it here. Also note that I have a US model A4, and used a US FW (1316).

Tools
http://mib-helper.com/

Last edited by Clixt; 11-04-2020 at 07:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
William_B (11-05-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want to update my 2017 A4 Technik - Canadian version, MMI version 0918 to 1316, I've looked into metainfo2.txt file and there is field region=USA. I've expected something like "NAR" not just "USA". Who knows, is any difference between MMI versions of USA and Canada?

Note, ISO file has label "4M0906961BN", thank you bruce_miranda for file.
This is part number of SD card from Audi, when I google it, I find that this is update of MMI for NAR region.

Last edited by rames; 10-06-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rames
I want to update my 2017 A4 Technik - Canadian version, MMI version 0918 to 1316, I've looked into metainfo2.txt file and there is field region=USA. I've expected something like "NAR" not just "USA". Who knows, is any difference between MMI versions of USA and Canada?

Note, ISO file has label "4M0906961BN", thank you bruce_miranda for file.
This is part number of SD card from Audi, when I google it, I find that this is update of MMI for NAR region.
Hmm like what Bruce said, in the other thread, if your car isn't in the meta, it won't let you update it. He also mentioned that 1316 is a USA FW, so idk if it'll work.

I wonder where we can get the firmware files though. It was mentioned before to ask at Turbo Quattro forums, but I don't speak Russian
Old 10-06-2020, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have a photo of FW 1422 (or full version #) on their US A4?
Old 10-06-2020, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 734 Likes on 511 Posts

Someone with an expired and over 3 year old car should try updating the maps using the same method and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clixt
Hmm like what Bruce said, in the other thread, if your car isn't in the meta, it won't let you update it. He also mentioned that 1316 is a USA FW, so idk if it'll work.

I wonder where we can get the firmware files though. It was mentioned before to ask at Turbo Quattro forums, but I don't speak Russian
To get various firmware files, there is a forum (I don't know if it is allowed to post other forum links here), first registration requires $25 via Paypal. I am not registered yet. After registration, you can ask firmware, ELSA, ETKA, ODIS software and someone will share it. There is some shared links, but it is not visible unless registered.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rames
To get various firmware files, there is a forum (I don't know if it is allowed to post other forum links here), first registration requires $25 via Paypal. I am not registered yet. After registration, you can ask firmware, ELSA, ETKA, ODIS software and someone will share it. There is some shared links, but it is not visible unless registered.
Hmm my gut feeling is no, but you can share it with me via PM. I have a feeling which forum it is. I have been searching for FWs this morning, and currently in the rabbit hole lol.

@bruce_miranda I would actually try it once i get enough information and get my hands on the MMI update. I feel like it should be the same process because If we can update the VC and MIB2 FW this way, why not the maps?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Anyone with a valid Audi Connect should be able to download the map package. Whether the MMI then accepts that is an entirely different matter. There is a counter that is referenced that checks if an update is allowed or not. Once 6 updates have past (irrespective of whether you updated the MMI or not) it shouldn't allow you to update using the normal map update procedure. That's why someone, with two cars in household are able to use the same Map update download to do both cars. There is nothing in the actual update package that is specific to a car. The real question is, will it update the map via the Engineering menu, or will that part need a connection back to the Audi systems to reset the allowable update counter.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Anyone with a valid Audi Connect should be able to download the map package. Whether the MMI then accepts that is an entirely different matter. There is a counter that is referenced that checks if an update is allowed or not. Once 6 updates have past (irrespective of whether you updated the MMI or not) it shouldn't allow you to update using the normal map update procedure. That's why someone, with two cars in household are able to use the same Map update download to do both cars. There is nothing in the actual update package that is specific to a car. The real question is, will it update the map via the Engineering menu, or will that part need a connection back to the Audi systems to reset the allowable update counter.
Gotcha, I definitely passed that marked and it was a shame that the previous owner didn't do any map updates to it. I could be going crazy here but I remember that my map version was 2016/2017. After flashing the FW you gave me, it's now 2017/2018... I also wonder if that counter can be reset via OBD11 or VCDS..
Old 10-06-2020, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Depending on when your car was made, you should have atleast 6 updates, one every 6 months. So it's worth checking if you atleast have as many as your car was allowed. The real challenge will be finding someone who has saved the older map packages and is willing to share them. It's not illegal to share the map package, a lot of people think it is.
As for resetting the map counter, I think it's not an offline setting. I remember someone saying that a setting is required on both the car and the Audi servers. Something like a new digital key getting created for your car and then stored on it to allow further map updates.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Flashing Firmwares to your A4