A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DIY Oil change and oil level.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Don’t really want to start a new thread since this is relevant, but anyone who does their own oil changes , what oil extractor do you use? I have seen people use Mytivac, Schwaben, etc but some reviews online are mixed. Curious to hear from you guys on what you use and how your pump has been holding up. I’m about 2 weeks from an oil change and wanting this to be a diy and not a dealer trip.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Don’t really want to start a new thread since this is relevant, but anyone who does their own oil changes , what oil extractor do you use? I have seen people use Mytivac, Schwaben, etc but some reviews online are mixed. Curious to hear from you guys on what you use and how your pump has been holding up. I’m about 2 weeks from an oil change and wanting this to be a diy and not a dealer trip.
I'm using this one, you can generate vacuum via an air source or hand pump. Not too big so easy to empty. The small extraction tube is perfect for Audi.

FIRSTINFO 2nd Generation Pneumatic/Manual 6.5 Liter Oil/Fluid Changer Vacuum Extractor Pump w/Hose Storage + 3.5 x 4.5 mm Engine Oil Hose + Dust Cover
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I use and like Topsider. I have had it only 2 years so cannot comment on pump longevity but suspect it's mostly about gasket sealing. Below is my post from another forum. It's a response to a 2.0 TFSI question but applies in general.
Good video. If you have not used this method before here are a few tips. The procedure is not quite as plug and play as you may be inclined to think.
The oil flow tends to air lock (bubbles) every so often so you need to be there full time to pump up the vacuum. About 15 min. for just the draining part.
My extractor small hose is provided with a clamp to isolate the sump from the tank. Vacuum is drawn on the reservoir, about 20 strokes, then the clamp is opened. This helps to establish the initial flow quickly. If yours doesn't have one you might consider adapting your own. Also my extractor is short and squat, so stable when pumping and easier to transport used oil to the re-cycler ie no need to transfer to other containers.
The 2.0 TFSI oil fill nozzle is oddly shaped and ordinary funnels are inconvenient (one hand on funnel,other on oil container) and a mess is likely. If you go with 5 Qt. jug (cheapest) you can forget it. Get a dedicated VW 1/4 turn locking funnel from Amazon. Get the good one or you might regret it if the plastic breaks and falls into the sump.
If you completely (or almost) drain the old oil, the engine takes 5 qt. and 28 oz. to read on the hash just under the MAX mark. 6 qts. is OK but then the level will likely be slightly above the MAX mark so not as easy to read.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by morris39
I use and like Topsider. I have had it only 2 years so cannot comment on pump longevity but suspect it's mostly about gasket sealing. Below is my post from another forum. It's a response to a 2.0 TFSI question but applies in general.
Good video. If you have not used this method before here are a few tips. The procedure is not quite as plug and play as you may be inclined to think.
The oil flow tends to air lock (bubbles) every so often so you need to be there full time to pump up the vacuum. About 15 min. for just the draining part.
My extractor small hose is provided with a clamp to isolate the sump from the tank. Vacuum is drawn on the reservoir, about 20 strokes, then the clamp is opened. This helps to establish the initial flow quickly. If yours doesn't have one you might consider adapting your own. Also my extractor is short and squat, so stable when pumping and easier to transport used oil to the re-cycler ie no need to transfer to other containers.
The 2.0 TFSI oil fill nozzle is oddly shaped and ordinary funnels are inconvenient (one hand on funnel,other on oil container) and a mess is likely. If you go with 5 Qt. jug (cheapest) you can forget it. Get a dedicated VW 1/4 turn locking funnel from Amazon. Get the good one or you might regret it if the plastic breaks and falls into the sump.
If you completely (or almost) drain the old oil, the engine takes 5 qt. and 28 oz. to read on the hash just under the MAX mark. 6 qts. is OK but then the level will likely be slightly above the MAX mark so not as easy to read.
Thanks and good looking out on the funnel - very good tip!

Originally Posted by StKnowhere
I'm using this one, you can generate vacuum via an air source or hand pump. Not too big so easy to empty. The small extraction tube is perfect for Audi.

FIRSTINFO 2nd Generation Pneumatic/Manual 6.5 Liter Oil/Fluid Changer Vacuum Extractor Pump w/Hose Storage + 3.5 x 4.5 mm Engine Oil Hose + Dust Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYL8P4B..._wwaRCbR71TF3C
Awesom! Checked this out on Amazon and the reviews are good and most are for the pneumatic use, which is good for me since I have a compressor. The company is Taiwan based and seems to have a decent line up of products with good reviews. Thanks! Serious contender.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks and good looking out on the funnel - very good tip!

Awesom! Checked this out on Amazon and the reviews are good and most are for the pneumatic use, which is good for me since I have a compressor. The company is Taiwan based and seems to have a decent line up of products with good reviews. Thanks! Serious contender.
I use the manual one from ECSTuning, the Schwaben. Have used it for a couple years now and it works great.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gguy
I use the manual one from ECSTuning, the Schwaben. Have used it for a couple years now and it works great.
thanks! As a matter of fact, that’s the one I ordered a few nights ago. Had a lot of good reviews from the enthusiast community and I can’t wait to use it.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks! As a matter of fact, that’s the one I ordered a few nights ago. Had a lot of good reviews from the enthusiast community and I can’t wait to use it.
It is great. The one thing is be sure that once the tube hits the bottom of the pan, stop pushing on it. It is easy to think you need to force it down a little more, which only bends it and causes it to rise up. If i stop as soon as it hits bottom, I get all the oil extracted out.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to all the great input in this thread, I did my first oil change earlier today. The pump of choice was the ECS Schwaben pump and the oil was the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200. I was able to get 5.5 qts out of the engine. With the dip stick being closer to front, I figured that if the car was leaning forward slightly, I would be able to get more oil out. My garage floor slopes a few degrees towards the garage door, so I backed her up in the garage and it worked perfectly. The easiest and the cleanest oil change ever. Super thrilled.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys recommend a place to buy the filter and oil?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bighaus
Can you guys recommend a place to buy the filter and oil?
Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773G1V4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773G1V4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-8078206-Pento-Performance-Synthetic/dp/B00JMAPU9A/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pentosin+oil&qid=1561742038&s=automotive&sr=1-4 https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-8078206-Pento-Performance-Synthetic/dp/B00JMAPU9A/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pentosin+oil&qid=1561742038&s=automotive&sr=1-4

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change and oil level.