A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DIY Oil change and oil level.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh heck, you are so right. I'll just use my wife's Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE oil in the Audi. It's not a 502.00 or 504.00 oil but since manufacturer approvals don't matter I should be just fine.

Last edited by uberwgn; 06-30-2019 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dbias (09-28-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiobuck
The oil you are using will not hurt your engine, it is good oil. It also can't pass the 504 standard. Plenty of Audi owners use 502 oil and are happy with it. You posted that it had 504.00 approval and that is simply wrong. Don't get upset because you are wrong.
Can you or anyone else here provide unambiguous answers to the following. Who writes, in other words designs, not asks for, the specification? Who tests the oil to certify the specification? Is the test a simulated one (i.e. meets certain characteristics) as opposed to actual operation in the ultimate machine?
In industry/engineering the usual division of labor is that customer chooses from a list of available specifications which are defined by an industry standards body. The material is tested and certified by the manufacturer or by a specialty design firm. It is highly unusual for the end user to design his own specification and then test it. Such a thing could happen in a case of some secret but then of course would not b certified/made public. So for example Boeing would call for a certain Ti alloy part to some ASTM specification, Precision Castparts manufactures and tests the components. Boeing could also in some critical application hire a specialty testing company to additionally test and confirm.
So can someone here provide a similar line of dots for the oil? If not, I am skeptical.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People on this forum are asking questions about what type of oil to use. A manufacturer approval is not wordplay. Manufactures look for an oil to prioritize properties that are more and less important to them.
You must be joking referring to various approvals as "wordplay". So there is no difference in oil properties of a low-SAPS 504.00 oil (this will usually be a 5w-30 weight) and say a full-SAPS 5w-40 oil intended more for racing use? GTFO!

The fact is you stated your 5w-40 oil was 504.00 approved and it is not. It is in line with the 502.00 standard that placed a higher premium on wear protection (and resulted in higher intake deposits). The 504.00 standard is low-SAPS and has a very high priority on intake valve carbon deposits, some say at the cost of wear (though my UOA does not bear this out).
This is not wordplay and these are not small differences.

I don't know of any 5w-40 weight oils that have passed the 504.00 cert. You want people to believe that every single manufacture of oil decided they simply shouldn't submit their 5w-40 oil for the 504.00 process. Or is it more likely that the properties chemists' blend in 5w-40 oils tend to not pass the strict deposit accumulation standard that is a priority of low-SAPS oils.
You are just straight up lying now... How sad honestly. You just said "The fact is you stated your 5w-40 oil was 504.00 approved and it is not.". I never said that and you are simply trying to confuse people in here and misconstruing my words for the purposes of trying to win a debate. For your edification, I said: "AMSOIL European Car Formula is approved VW 502, 504, 505, 507", which is a true statement. I never stated which weight is in which certification and frankly it doesn't matter. You can keep blasting me and others and call us names and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
Can you or anyone else here provide unambiguous answers to the following. Who writes, in other words designs, not asks for, the specification? Who tests the oil to certify the specification? Is the test a simulated one (i.e. meets certain characteristics) as opposed to actual operation in the ultimate machine?
In industry/engineering the usual division of labor is that customer chooses from a list of available specifications which are defined by an industry standards body. The material is tested and certified by the manufacturer or by a specialty design firm. It is highly unusual for the end user to design his own specification and then test it. Such a thing could happen in a case of some secret but then of course would not b certified/made public. So for example Boeing would call for a certain Ti alloy part to some ASTM specification, Precision Castparts manufactures and tests the components. Boeing could also in some critical application hire a specialty testing company to additionally test and confirm.
So can someone here provide a similar line of dots for the oil? If not, I am skeptical.
Audi publishes a list of products that meet Audi Oil Quality Standards:

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf

"Audi engines must always use engine oils that conform to the applicable Audi oil quality standard. No other engine oils may be used (this also applies when the engine oil is topped off between services)."

Why not just follow their requirement?
Old 06-30-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CFLQTRO
Audi publishes a list of products that meet Audi Oil Quality Standards:

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf

"Audi engines must always use engine oils that conform to the applicable Audi oil quality standard. No other engine oils may be used (this also applies when the engine oil is topped off between services)."

Why not just follow their requirement?
Yes I agree, follow the advice of those who should know, really obvious. But that is not what I asked. My question was to about making things up.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markjohnsonii
AMSOIL European Car Formula is approved VW 502, 504, 505, 507. I use the European Car Formula 5W-40 Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil here in Texas
Is it not you that is trying to confuse people? Consult the list posted by CFLQTRO for oils Audi has approved. Amsoil has one oil that has the 504.00 builder approval, as I stated. The others, including the one you use I believe to be in the vein of 502 oils but Audi doesn't actually certify that oil for 502.00 use.

You state 'Amsoil European Car Formula', which sounds singular, and then blast 4 different VW applicable specs after it. Vague at best. People here had asked for actual oil recommendations and that is what I gave. The one 504.00 Amsoil was on my list if you look back.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html#
With the above link one can compare relative strengths/weaknesses of different builder specifications.
bdh1119 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it not you that is trying to confuse people? Consult the list posted by CFLQTRO for oils Audi has approved. Amsoil has one oil that has the 504.00 builder approval, as I stated. The others, including the one you use I believe to be in the vein of 502 oils but Audi doesn't actually certify that oil for 502.00 use.

You state 'Amsoil European Car Formula', which sounds singular, and then blast 4 different VW applicable specs after it. Vague at best. People here had asked for actual oil recommendations and that is what I gave. The one 504.00 Amsoil was on my list if you look back.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html#
With the above link one can compare relative strengths/weaknesses of different builder specifications.
I’m with you on this. When I was looking at oils to do the 10k change on my A4, I was surprised to see all the back and forth in forums about 502 vs. 504 (or oils without approvals). As far as 502 vs. 504, the main argument for 502 (at least in the US) was it's more “robust” and better at dealing with US gasoline that hadn’t gone to ultra low sulfur when 504 was established. Well, the US is ultra low sulfur now, so that shouldn’t be a con in the 504 column these days. I think the 504’s emphasis on piston and inlet valve cleanliness, fuel economy, and catalyst efficiency makes it the better choice.

I went with Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 because it’s a 504 and one of the few available at the 0W cold viscosity. I’m in the frozen north and figure the engine can use all the help it can get.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...041/11356222-P
uberwgn (07-01-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
Thanks Prof...good to know. I am going forward with my order on Amazon of the TOTAL QUARTZ INEO and the Mann filter.
Dude thanks for this! This is by far the cheapest 504 i've been able to find. Has anyone had any long term experience with it? Seems too good to be true! 3 5qt for 110$
Old 07-14-2019, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It might be interesting, if one could extort the 504.x and 507.x standards from VWG, because US oils will typically meet the API/SAE specs only, and Mobil one is a CF rated oil, suitable for diesels in general, which today often means turbo diesels.

Many oils can meet many specs--but you don't get the VWG approval until you pay up and submit samples for testing. Which of course might "freeze' your product when you wanted to "improve" it in the future.

Might be worth asking, since the Mobil1 is half the price.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
It might be interesting, if one could extort the 504.x and 507.x standards from VWG, because US oils will typically meet the API/SAE specs only, and Mobil one is a CF rated oil, suitable for diesels in general, which today often means turbo diesels.

Many oils can meet many specs--but you don't get the VWG approval until you pay up and submit samples for testing. Which of course might "freeze' your product when you wanted to "improve" it in the future.

Might be worth asking, since the Mobil1 is half the price.
This is exactly why oil mfgs dont certify every flavor of their oils.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change and oil level.