A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DIY Oil change and oil level.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 months and 13K miles, no oil added and no change on the level before or after the first service.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catch Cans?

All this makes me wonder if the Baffled Catch Can systems, like are offered by ECS, are necessary on the B9's. Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not an automotive engineer, however, the new gen 3 engines are vastly improved. With my B8 A4 the exhaust tips got black with carbon very quickly after I cleaned my car. With the B9 A4 the tips are very clean. The E888 gen 2 engine really consumed a lot of oil and this caused lots of problems with carbon build up with the intake and exhaust valves. This is a consequence of the direct injection engine design. It is more efficient but no fuel is washed over the valve and valve stems to keep them clean. However, if less oil is getting to the valves because of improvements to the E888 gen 2.5 (2013-2016 A4) or the new B9 A4 gen 3 engine perhaps there is just less oil to condense on the valves or remove with a catch can. I did not use a catch can for my B8 A4. At 65,000 miles I had to clean the carbon deposits from the valves. I believe there is a discussion about catch cans and oil consumption in the A6 forum.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prof
Hi rmur,

In the B8 A4 you had to use a VagCom to set the service interval. With the B9 A4 you can change the service interval using the MMI. See page 323 of the owner's manual. This is indeed a convenience and another example of one of many improvements found in the B9 versus the B8 A4.
Thank you, however my owner's manual (2017 A4) has the service interval info on p.316 and only discusses how to reset the oil interval. It indicates the service (inspection) interval must be reset by an Audi dealer, etc. Is this still true?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are my observations on oil consumption, did an oil change at 3,000 kms and will have my first service this week (1 year) 12,000 kms and have used only .5 quart. Now, have driven the car a few time near the red line to keep the system clean (and have a good time I must abmit).
Old 10-21-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well after reading this well done thread i got up off the couch and changed the oil in my 2017 A4. First time i had ever done one top side and it was beyond easy. Went to Walmart and got the $7 Pennzoil pump and went to Lowes and got a $3 coil of 1/4" poly tubing. I cut off about 3 feet of the poly tubing and stuck it in the end of the black hose on the hand pump and about 30 pumps later i was sucking up air. Changed the filter poured in the Castrol 0W-40 oil and i was done. I did remember to lube up the O ring.....which by the way the o ring i took off was bone dry and there is no way Audi dealer lubed it with oil when they changed it the first time. Heck it still looked like it had the white powder on it. Overall too easy and the with the walmart pump and poly tubing totaling maybe $12 way cheaper than buying a $149 oil extractor.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prof
I am not an automotive engineer, however, the new gen 3 engines are vastly improved. With my B8 A4 the exhaust tips got black with carbon very quickly after I cleaned my car. With the B9 A4 the tips are very clean. The E888 gen 2 engine really consumed a lot of oil and this caused lots of problems with carbon build up with the intake and exhaust valves. This is a consequence of the direct injection engine design. It is more efficient but no fuel is washed over the valve and valve stems to keep them clean. However, if less oil is getting to the valves because of improvements to the E888 gen 2.5 (2013-2016 A4) or the new B9 A4 gen 3 engine perhaps there is just less oil to condense on the valves or remove with a catch can. I did not use a catch can for my B8 A4. At 65,000 miles I had to clean the carbon deposits from the valves. I believe there is a discussion about catch cans and oil consumption in the A6 forum.
The new EA888 Gen 3 in the 2017 A4 has Direct AND multiport injection. take off the cover and you can easily count 8 injectors. Clean valves with good gas!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbias
The new EA888 Gen 3 in the 2017 A4 has Direct AND multiport injection. take off the cover and you can easily count 8 injectors. Clean valves with good gas!
Are you in the US? It was my understanding that MPI and DFI injection was available in ROW but remains only DFI in the US. This slide might be old, but look at the absence of MPI in the US version:

Old 10-22-2017, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also changed my oil on my 2018 Audi A4. It was very easy with a vacuum extractor. This is the first time I used a cartridge oil filter (unlike the sealed metal oil filters). The cost of the filter with O-ring is less than that of a sealed oil filter. I was surprised that no oil leaked when I removed the filter housing. After I screwed open the oil filter housing I let it sit for about a min to ensure all of the oil had drained from the filter. I purchased VW504-rated low friction oil (5W30) from Amazon; VW504 surpasses the VW502 specification and is recommended by Audi. A 5 quart jug of TOTAL oil was $37.00 and this was sufficient to bring my oil level to the full mark using the MMI gauge and a dip stick. After I recycled the oil, I purchased a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. I changed the oil on my 2009 Audi A4 every 7500 miles but I would still need to add a quart of oil between changes. With the EA888 Gen 3 engine in the Audi A4 B9 I see no oil consumption, the exhaust tips stay clean. So a real improvement. More power, no oil consumption and much better gas mileage. For road trips mainly using federal highways and state roads (as opposed to interstates) and using adaptive cruse control set at 60 mph I have a range of 600 miles per tank of gas. I could not achieve this in my A4 B8 with a manual transmission. Although the A4 B8 was a very good automobile; the A4 B9 is a remarkable improvement. I truly enjoy driving this car.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Arcoril
Are you in the US? It was my understanding that MPI and DFI injection was available in ROW but remains only DFI in the US. This slide might be old, but look at the absence of MPI in the US version:

mea culpa Prof. You are absolutely correct.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change and oil level.