A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DIY Oil change and oil level.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
I also changed my oil on my 2018 Audi A4. It was very easy with a vacuum extractor. This is the first time I used a cartridge oil filter (unlike the sealed metal oil filters). The cost of the filter with O-ring is less than that of a sealed oil filter. I was surprised that no oil leaked when I removed the filter housing. After I screwed open the oil filter housing I let it sit for about a min to ensure all of the oil had drained from the filter. I purchased VW504-rated low friction oil (5W30) from Amazon; VW504 surpasses the VW502 specification and is recommended by Audi. A 5 quart jug of TOTAL oil was $37.00 and this was sufficient to bring my oil level to the full mark using the MMI gauge and a dip stick. After I recycled the oil, I purchased a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. I changed the oil on my 2009 Audi A4 every 7500 miles but I would still need to add a quart of oil between changes. With the EA888 Gen 3 engine in the Audi A4 B9 I see no oil consumption, the exhaust tips stay clean. So a real improvement. More power, no oil consumption and much better gas mileage. For road trips mainly using federal highways and state roads (as opposed to interstates) and using adaptive cruse control set at 60 mph I have a range of 600 miles per tank of gas. I could not achieve this in my A4 B8 with a manual transmission. Although the A4 B8 was a very good automobile; the A4 B9 is a remarkable improvement. I truly enjoy driving this car.
Why did you change your own oil on a 2018 when your first oil change @ 10K miles is free?

Just checking.....
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil change frequency

My oil change schedule is just my personal prerogative. When my A4 B9 reaches 10,000 miles I will take it in for its "free" oil change. I change my oil before the scheduled mileage because it is economical when you do it as a DIY and that these oil changes are a good long-term insurance to protect an engine. I purchase each car with cash, we are a one car family, and I keep each car for a relatively long time. Several posts by techs in Audizine (both A4 and A6 forums) recommend more frequent oil changes than the 10,000 mile interval. I applied this approach during my 17 years of ownership with my 1992 VW Passat. My 2009 Audi A4 was the least expensive car that I have owned in terms of expenses during the post warranty period. I hope to continue this trend with my factory-ordered 2018 A4.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hi,

i just purchased a used 2017 A4 and would like to change the oil, thank you for this post, i'm sure it will help me a lot. I see the oil change can be done with an oil extractor, what model and where did you purchase it from?

thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here’s one option

The following users liked this post:
AudiB8Drew (01-02-2024)
Old 11-19-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a PELA 6000...had for years...small and highly rated when I purchased it. Cost around $60

Quick, Easy & Clean Oil Changes with PELA Products

Last edited by securityguy; 11-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thank you for your suggestions on oil extractors.
when replacing the oil filter, what torque would you use to tighten the filter enclosure?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gigagigosu
when replacing the oil filter, what torque would you use to tighten the filter enclosure?
25 Nm
Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
My oil change schedule is just my personal prerogative. When my A4 B9 reaches 10,000 miles I will take it in for its "free" oil change. I change my oil before the scheduled mileage because it is economical when you do it as a DIY and that these oil changes are a good long-term insurance to protect an engine. I purchase each car with cash, we are a one car family, and I keep each car for a relatively long time. Several posts by techs in Audizine (both A4 and A6 forums) recommend more frequent oil changes than the 10,000 mile interval. I applied this approach during my 17 years of ownership with my 1992 VW Passat. My 2009 Audi A4 was the least expensive car that I have owned in terms of expenses during the post warranty period. I hope to continue this trend with my factory-ordered 2018 A4.
Agree with your approach. I would prefer to be safe than sorry. Especially when it is so easy using the oil extractor.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gigagigosu
A fresh o-ring should come with the new filter so replace that also.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small o rings at end of oil filter

Hi,
Im new to the forum. Encouraged to do my own oil change after seeing your post. I have a 2016 A6 with a 2.0 engine that looks similar to yours. On mine i noticed a plastic shaft that stuck out of the oil filter canister. Does yours have as well? Are you supposed to change these o rings as well as the canister o ring that came with the filter? Parts guy at the dealer where i purchased the oil filter never mentioned it.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change and oil level.