A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DSG flush required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid $875 for my AudiCare and just this one service typically runs around $500. The $875 covers everything that Audi calls for up to 50K miles...a terrific investment that save a ton of cash!
Old 11-03-2017, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

DSG fluid and filter change is easy. Remove filter, drain DSG fluid. Measure what came out, put that much back in plus a little that came out with the filter, pour new fluid down pipe the filter fits over, replace filter and enjoy.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not quite that simple but if you say so.....
Old 11-03-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
Not quite that simple but if you say so.....
I've done it 5 times and can do it in under an hour for less than $200 including beer.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Cuke, transmission fluid is typically mileage-based.
Cheers, I guess the oil doesn't not break down after time...

Last edited by cuke2u; 11-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi dbias,
Do you have a detailed procedure with photos for the Dual clutch transmission filter and oil change? As well as parts for this DCT filter and oil change. It would be great if you could post your procedure.
Thanks.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, don't listen to dibias or whatever his name is. he is lying. he has not done 5 dsg services on the transmission installed on the 2017 a4. I am not posting here to prove anything but I do not want you to injure yourself. you MUST consult Audi for this service. If you do wish to attempt to perform this service yourself I will tell you the filter is not changable. The fluid accumulator must be depressurized with ODIS (our factory scan tool). The fluid pressure is so high you can be severely injured removing the drain plug. I am a factory trained Audi Technician just so you know. Also if you have audi care it should be covered but again call your local dealership.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbias
DSG fluid and filter change is easy. Remove filter, drain DSG fluid. Measure what came out, put that much back in plus a little that came out with the filter, pour new fluid down pipe the filter fits over, replace filter and enjoy.
I wasn't going to get smart on this until I needed to perform the service on our A4, but you got me curious. I have had two Jetta TDI's in the past with the DSG transmission and am very familiar with the drain, measure, and refill procedure you have described. I purchased VCDS and did the service correctly per the factory service manual 3 times on those Jetta's, but many others have had success with your method as well.

I purchased the factory service manual for the A4 and just got done doing some preliminary research for the 7 speed transmission service. There are two separate fluids associated with the DCT, ATF fluid and MTF fluid. Once you have identified the correct drain and fill plugs for the ATF service, the procedure is similar to the DSG's factory method. It is a complete drain and slight overfill, then operate to between 35 and 45 degrees celcius, and allow excess to drain out. Done with the fluid. The filter is entirely different though.

Like I said previously, I've only done some preliminary research as I'm still 30,000 miles away from doing this service myself. The filter, IF EQUIPPED, seems to be integrated into the mechatronics unit or the transmission fluid pan. In order to service the filter, the high pressure accumulator MUST be depressurized first. Top fill method that you described isn't going to work with this transmission. At minimum, the VAS 6617 or similar will be required. As Tanner Sousa indicates, this is not something you want to do yourself unless you have access to the Audi diagnostic tool or VCDS, and that is assuming VCDS has the ability to perform this function. Again, I haven't looked deep enough into this to tell you anything conclusive, other than the fact that Tanner is correct.

Bottom line, until you do this service yourself, I wouldn't recommend telling others how easy it is. This transmission may have many similarities to the VW DSG, but not enough to recommend applying the same service technique.

CFM

Last edited by CFM567; 11-06-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my previous comment I️ said that the filter is not Chan gave. What I meant was it’s not part of the service. The mech unit does need to come out to change it. I️ just when to automatic transmission training a month ago and we took it apart. And the pan is plastic with the plastic quarter turn plug you see on your engine oil pan. I️ believe the fill hole is located on the side of the transmission. It will need to be at a certain temp as before but it’s a different procedure. If you really want to know I️ can look it up, just message me so you don’t ruin your transmission.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok, a bit more research and it seems the filter is in fact integrated into the transmission fluid pan(OEM part # 0CK321359K). I haven't yet confirmed that VCDS has all capabilities required, but you MUST (per the factory service manual) empty the ATF pressure reservoir AND disable the Transmission Fluid Auxiliary Hydraulic Pump prior to removing the ATF cooler. Removal of the ATF cooler is required to remove the transmission fluid pan which contains the filter(per the factory service manual). There are several warnings about the system being pressurized. Tanner Sousa is absolutely correct and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

The cost associated with just the transmission fluid pan(filter), gasket, and new drain plug is around $260.00 at dealer pricing. This plus the cost of fluid, and VCDS for those that don't have it (assuming it has the needed capabilities), will put this service into the realm of dealer service costs, especially with Audi Care including this service.

I haven't come across any posts indicating anyone has actually done this service themselves. If they have, I'd love to hear their insights and perspective.

CFM

Quick Reply: DSG flush required?