Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Kind of confused, this Scheduled said filter change for MY18 on page 3

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...ges_022317.pdf
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...ges_022317.pdf
Looks like the document you reference is from February and the document I linked to is a September version. I think they are just behind the ball and are now catching up.

CFM
Old 11-08-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys.
I'm one of those that did not took Audi care, Thinking most cars don't need what i can't do at 50K or so. I'm not sure how much I trust Audi as a company, (My phobia) I tend to see Audi up there with Wells Fargo, Bernard Madoff ect having lunch laughing at us, and the fact that they're not doing OTA updates, don't help. Hope this service is not as complicated and expensive as its sounds.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
Thanks guys.
I'm one of those that did not took Audi care, Thinking most cars don't need what i can't do at 50K or so. I'm not sure how much I trust Audi as a company, (My phobia) I tend to see Audi up there with Wells Fargo, Bernard Madoff ect having lunch laughing at us, and the fact that they're not doing OTA updates, don't help. Hope this service is not as complicated and expensive as its sounds.
I can see the movie now...

Bestcar17: Hope this service is not as complicated and expensive as its sounds.
Narrator: But alas, it was.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bestcar17, the tough part would have been the filter change. With this not required, it is just a fluid change. Two minor hurdles to over come. First, you need to be able to measure fluid temperature. I use VCDS to do this, but I'm guessing a simple app like Torque and an OBDII bluetooth unit will be able to provide this information. Second, you need an adapter to fill the transmission. I haven't looked into the A4 specifically, but guys were coming up with $20 solutions for the VW DSG. Something similar is bound to pop up.

Other than that, It's just fluid cost and your time. Hopefully you are still a ways off from 40,000 miles and members will report how easy it is long before you need it.

CFM
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I interpret the 2018 booklet to mean "Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element" on all DSG/S tronic, but (because it is second in order) just the oil in the named models.

That is clearer in the 2017 document, where the first line (oil and filter) applies to all DSG/S tronic, and the second line applies to two specific models.

Last edited by Dan in St. Louis; 11-08-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
I interpret the 2018 booklet to mean "Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element" on all DSG/S tronic, but (because it is second in order) just the oil in the named models.

That is clearer in the 2017 document, where the first line (oil and filter) applies to all DSG/S tronic, and the second line applies to two specific models.
It was posted earlier, but the latest document for MY 2018 specifically states that the S-Tronic on the 2.0T models only require a fluid change: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...e_9-7-2017.pdf

The ambiguity is whether or not this applies to MY 2017 cars as well. However, since there were no drivetrain changes from 2017 to 2018 I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Still, Audi really needs to clarify this.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be interestings to see if Audi relocated to transmission filter or discontinue our DSG in MY19 or 20. That with screen volume.
I'm no way close to 40k, anyway, I call my dealer for a quote and info, they pull my vin and said $760, Regular service plus plugs, trans..... oil and FILTER and a few others.

If that's correct, then all I would have lost without Audi care, is the 20K and 30k oil change, That's not too bad given I had some quality time in the engine bay.
I do agree Audi needs to clear this up though.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also noticed in the 2018 maintenance schedule that the engine oil listed is VW Spec 502, while on the sticker in the engine bay of my 2018 A4 Prestige it lists (first) VW spec 504 or (second) VW 502 spec. oil. According to my reading the VW 504 spec has superior qualities over VW 502 spec. oil? I change my oil myself and I use VW 504 spec oil.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
I also noticed in the 2018 maintenance schedule that the engine oil listed is VW Spec 502, while on the sticker in the engine bay of my 2018 A4 Prestige it lists (first) VW spec 504 or (second) VW 502 spec. oil. According to my reading the VW 504 spec has superior qualities over VW 502 spec. oil? I change my oil myself and I use VW 504 spec oil.
504 is newer, but it's not necessarily better. 504 oils are what are known as low-SAPS (sulfated ash, phosphorous, sulfur) which means that they have a more emissions-friendly additive pack than full-SAPS oils like 502. One side effect of this is that low-SAPS oils start with a lower TBN, meaning that they can't suspend as much of the acidic combustion byproducts compared to a full-SAPS oil. To make things worse, gasoline in the US tends to be sulfur-rich which acidifies oil more quickly than the low-sulfur gasoline in Europe. The main goal of low-SAPS oils was to preserve emissions equipment like diesel particulate filters which obviously don't apply to our 2.0T engines, but there are also some side benefits to catalytic converters in cases where engines are burning oil.

It's my understanding that the 502 spec isn't as stringent as the 504 spec, but that doesn't automatically make 502 oils worse. I always pick full-SAPS 502 oils because of the more robust additive pack. The trick is to buy 502 oils that also meet some other very tough specifications like MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, and Porsche A40. Oils like Castrol Edge 0w-40, Mobil 1 0w-40 FS, and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40 are cheap, easy to find, and put up amazing numbers.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcoril
You're right, and it's totally ambiguous. They only mention the A4 ultra:

Perform first at 40,000 miles and thereafter every 40,000 miles.
  • DSG/S tronic: Change ATF oil and replace transmission filter element
  • DSG/S tronic: Change ATF oil (A3 e-tron, A4 ultra, A5, A5 Sportback, A6 front wheel drive, Q5, RS 3, TT RS only)
However, since the A5 and A5 Sportback have the exact same engine and transmission as the non-ultra A4 I think this is just an oversight.
I assume A4 ultra are the ones equipped with manual trannies and quattro ultra. Which means for us 2017 Allroaders with quattro ultra, do we fall under that maintenance schedule? I'm at 33k and planning the DSG change for january when I roll over 40k.

Quick Reply: DSG flush required?