A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DSG flush required?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbias
Breadbooze, pertaining to the DSG side, I have a 2017 A4 that is approaching 35k miles and am looking at the upcoming dsg fluid change screaming towards me. I have done several dsg fluid/filter changes on two of my VW and a couple friends and have embarrassingly discovered that the Audi is a completely different animal than i'm used to. You describe problems getting the fluid back in the fill hole and i am wondering if this transmission has the same type of snorkle to set the fluid level behind the plug as the VW trans did. On the VW i had to remove the plug and would get a little bit of fluid come out, that had settled in the snorkel and then had to put an 8mm allen bit to remove the plastic snorkel insert to remove the rest of the fluid. This snorkle is basically a short plastic tube that screws up into the transmission pan and until it is removed the majority of the fuild will be retained in the pan, and filling up and over it requires the fluid to be pressurized going in with an adapter called a VAS6262 which screws on like the drain plug and has a nipple that tubing connected to the container of DSG fluid is attached to and then gravity fed or pumped back into the transmission pan.
Does anyone know if this is the case?
It is similar in concept, what is different here is the "snorkel" or what I call the overfill indicator is cast into the transmission casing, so there is nothing to remove, as the fill and drain ports are separate. The 6262 won't work here as it uses a very different threading. Per my instructions in the DIY post I used a tapered rubber plug that fit the port and drilled a hole that fit the tubing of my fluid transfer pump, sealed the tubing/plug mating area and filled about 2.2L back into the DSG side.

maybe this will help
Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbooze
It is similar in concept, what is different here is the "snorkel" or what I call the overfill indicator is cast into the transmission casing, so there is nothing to remove, as the fill and drain ports are separate. The 6262 won't work here as it uses a very different threading. Per my instructions in the DIY post I used a tapered rubber plug that fit the port and drilled a hole that fit the tubing of my fluid transfer pump, sealed the tubing/plug mating area and filled about 2.2L back into the DSG side.

maybe this will help
Thank you very much for the DSG fluid change steps, breadbooze! I am sure all DIY enthusiasts appreciate your info here. Ant chance you can post couple picts of the MTF drain and fill port locations? I assume they are different from DSG drain and fill ports.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

maybe this will help
NIce pic. I'll have to take a look.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by minmet
Thank you very much for the DSG fluid change steps, breadbooze! I am sure all DIY enthusiasts appreciate your info here. Ant chance you can post couple picts of the MTF drain and fill port locations? I assume they are different from DSG drain and fill ports.
Audi did not bless the DL382-7Q with a drain port for the gear side. It might be possible to remove the oil pump and drain it that way, I'll go that route next time I'm under there. I sucked it out and refilled 3.6L from the side fill port (see pic), specifications shows 3.8L fill for MTF. Specs also show 3.5L for DSG fluid change but since I only got 2.5L out it makes me wonder where the other liter is sitting. I figure the 2.2L of new fluid diluted with 2.1L of the old stuff (total DSG fluid capacity is 4.3L) is enough to keep the DSG happy for now, perhaps more info will leak out to the DIY community down the line, hopefully before the 80k fluid change.

exhaust side of the tranny

Last edited by breadbooze; 03-26-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-26-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi made a nice video detailing the lubrication system of the DSG.

DIGITALMEDIATECHNIK GMBH - PORTFOLIO

Also I stand corrected, the pressure accumulator is on the hydraulic (DSG) side of the tranny, which would explain the "missing" 1L.

http://www.digitalmediatechnik.de/Portfolio_23_ENG.html

Last edited by breadbooze; 03-26-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Audi made a nice video detailing the lubrication system of the DSG.

Also I stand corrected, the pressure accumulator is on the hydraulic (DSG) side of the tranny, which would explain the "missing" 1L.

Thank you very much, breadbooze! Will keep all this info on hand. Looks quite complex now. Kind will take some guts to tackle it.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi did not bless the DL382-7Q with a drain port for the gear side. It might be possible to remove the oil pump and drain it that way, I'll go that route next time I'm under there. I sucked it out and refilled 3.6L from the side fill port (see pic), specifications shows 3.8L fill for MTF. Specs also show 3.5L for DSG fluid change but since I only got 2.5L out it makes me wonder where the other liter is sitting. I figure the 2.2L of new fluid diluted with 2.1L of the old stuff (total DSG fluid capacity is 4.3L) is enough to keep the DSG happy for now, perhaps more info will leak out to the DIY community down the line, hopefully before the 80k fluid change.

exhaust side of the tranny
I did something very similar with my past hondas where you were supposed to change out fluid, 9qts, at 60k miles by removing plug and 3 qts drop out, put plug back in and refill 3 qts and drive around a while and repeat 2 more times.... what a PITA. So instead i dropped 3 qts every 20k and called it good.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone uncovered any more info on the DSG flush? 37k miles and counting and I need to start making plans
Old 05-28-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

wonder if getting a slight curve on the tube could help put the fluid over the wall where it needs to be instead of shooting it straight up and back down.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbias
wonder if getting a slight curve on the tube could help put the fluid over the wall where it needs to be instead of shooting it straight up and back down.
you could certainly try it, though pushing liters of DSG fluid through a tube of even smaller diameter wouldn't be very fun. Perhaps the makers of fluid transfer pumps have come around to making an adapter for this tranny. From what I see here- https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../007311sch01a/ that DSG adapter is for the older DSG trannies, they haven't come around to making one for this DSG.

Quick Reply: DSG flush required?