A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Engine Code Difference - CYMC vs DBPA

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Engine Code Difference - CYMC vs DBPA

Does anyone know what the difference in engine codes is? CYMC vs DBPA. For instance, my engine code is CYMC and when I changed my oil last weekend, I didn’t have a long plastic thing that stuck out of the oil filter, like some of you have. I’m also looking to upgrade my coil packs and the part numbers are all over the place for the different engine codes. Does this engine code even matter when getting parts?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I realize this post was a long shot, but figured with all the engineers on the forum, it could generate some discussion and insights Google didn’t provide much info on this.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the DBPA is the ultra 2.0L that came in the FWD only model with only 190HP instead of 252HP for the normal quattro CYMC eninge.
If you have the quattro then I would just purchase parts for CYMC engine code which seems to be the first one that pops up in most searches.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by marsbar1976
I think the DBPA is the ultra 2.0L that came in the FWD only model with only 190HP instead of 252HP for the normal quattro CYMC eninge.
If you have the quattro then I would just purchase parts for CYMC engine code which seems to be the first one that pops up in most searches.
You're correct.

The EA888 Type 3 engines for the B9 A4 have the following engine ID codes:
CYRB CYMC CYRC CWPB DDWA DKWA DDWB DKNA DLHB

The EA888 Type 3-B (B-cycle version) engines for the B9 A4 have the following engine ID codes:
CVKB DBPA CWNA DEMA CVLA DHDA DLVB DKUB DLVA DKUA DKYA

Would need to spend some money on ERWIN to work out what differences exist between engine ID within the main engine type. Certainly there can be regional differences (often with slight power differences due to fuel quality/ECU programming), but there also may be some fundamental mechanical differences too. At the very least there are several output versions of these two engine types.

Good advice to the OP re. sticking with the relevant engine ID code when ordering anything. A lottery otherwise.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:22 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Would need to spend some money on ERWIN to work out what differences exist between engine ID within the main engine type. Certainly there can be regional differences (often with slight power differences due to fuel quality/ECU programming), but there also may be some fundamental mechanical differences too. At the very least there are several output versions of these two engine types.
Isn't one big difference with injectors? I've always understood that North American '252/248HP' 2.0T cars don't have port injection while in other markets they do...
Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 545 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Isn't one big difference with injectors? I've always understood that North American '252/248HP' 2.0T cars don't have port injection while in other markets they do...
I think that was on the previous generation, EA888 Type 2, engines.

But as I said, you would have to dive quite deeply into Audi/VAG's technical documentation to find out what the differences are between the various versions.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’m thinking about emailing our friend Vincenzo at AoA to inquire some details on these. Here is the perfect example of confusion that I am running into:
- I’m wanting to upgrade/replace my coil packs and the current coil pack that’s installed is 06H-905-110-E. I’vecalled 3 separate dealerships and gave them my VIN and was basically given the same part number but with different letters at the end : H; F; and L. When checking Audi’s website and drilling down to my car, I get an H, that’s superseded by an E. The “E” seems to be discontinued according to online retailers such as ECS. The last dealership gave me 06H-905-110-L, which according to the AoA website, does fit the 2018 A4 M/T but lists code DBPA. My code is CYMC. The “L” also seems to fit models like RS3. With so many versions of the coil pack that seems to fit a bunch of models, I’m being led to believe that the engine code may not matter for this particular part, but I’m still wanting to know the difference.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
As far as I understand only the 190ps engine in other markets have dual injectors..
Old 10-31-2020, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

My car is NOT Quattro and it has the CYMC engine.

According to this (eSelf Study Program 920163, page 13 in the pdf), EA888 gen 3 doesn't have multi point injection in the US market!!

Modifications to ULEV 125 (USA)
> No multi-point injection (MPI).
> Diagnosable PCV system ventilation hose (mandatory).
The following users liked this post:
Clixt (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another difference between these engines is the fact that some have a drive chain made of metal that you never touch and others have a rubber belt that must be changed every 60.000 km
CVKB has the metal chain. The question is how do you know if you got the dual injector system or not?

Quick Reply: Engine Code Difference - CYMC vs DBPA