A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Engines stops when parking

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines stops when parking

Have a brand new 2017 S-line. i understand the start-stop feature (engine turns off but tach is at ready and engine restarts when you release brake). However, sometimes when I pull in to my garage or park at work, the engine turns totally off before I hit the start stop button (the tach is at OFF, not ready)(have to hit start-stop button to rosary engine), but electrical accessories are still running. Very confused. Does the car know that I am parking it?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Aguiar
....(have to hit start-stop button to rosary engine)...
This option is called "Park and Pray", the car knows...👼

Last edited by yvantheterrible; 07-14-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

if you unbuckle the seatbelt and open the door (or the other way around, not sure) the car turns the engine off after switching the transmission into park and engaging the e-brake. Not always, not necessarily in this order but sometimes it's a pain to keep the engine running and open the door to get briefly out.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that the car seems to know when I'm home as it automatically applies the parking brake most of the time after I shift into park. But it doesn't seem to do that when I'm out and about and parking in a parking lot, only in my driveway. Is there some sort of reason for this? Is the car smart like my iPhone and knows where I'm going before I go there? LOL
Old 07-15-2016, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been trying to figure out why the parking brake is applied automatically sometimes as well. I was wondering if somehow the car knows to apply it when you are on a incline or something but that doesn't always happen.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelersmb@gmail.com
I have been trying to figure out why the parking brake is applied automatically sometimes as well. I was wondering if somehow the car knows to apply it when you are on a incline or something but that doesn't always happen.
I've surmised there's an incline sensor of some kind. Pretty impressive.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I get the parking brake most of the time but not always, even in the same spot (garage). I usually turn the ignition off with the foot on the brake and it enables P in the transmission and engages the parking brake most of the time but as I said not always.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I get the parking brake most of the time but not always, even in the same spot (garage). I usually turn the ignition off with the foot on the brake and it enables P in the transmission and engages the parking brake most of the time but as I said not always.
Maybe it makes the decision dependent on what kind of mood it's in that day (could even explain some of the other things these cars do on their own - like slamming on the brakes while parallel parking just because it saw a metal trash can on the curb )
Old 08-20-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a brand new 2017 S-line. i understand the start-stop feature (engine turns off but tach is at ready and engine restarts when you release brake). However, sometimes when I pull in to my garage or park at work, the engine turns totally off before I hit the start stop button (the tach is at OFF, not ready)(have to hit start-stop button to rosary engine), but electrical accessories are still running. Very confused. Does the car know that I am parking it?
If you press,the brake peddle all the way down, start stop activates.

If you lightly press the brake peddle just enough to stop forward motion, the motor remains running.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I've noticed that with the start-stop system on, as soon as you hit the "P" button on the shifter, the engine turns off... and the rest of the car will follow in about 30 seconds.

I believe that in those circumstances, you'd need to restart the engine manually and then go back into D/R.

(I know that if you put the car in 'P', get out, and then get back in, the engine won't turn on without you manually hitting the start button. I've never tried it without getting out of the car...)

Quick Reply: Engines stops when parking