A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google maps

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google maps

When I plug in my iPhone and activate google maps for direction, the phone announces the directions over the car speakers and interrupts the radio whenever a driving direction is announced as it should. However I have not been able to figure out how to control the volume of the directions independently of the radio volume. This is annoying if I don't want to listen to the radio but still want to be able to hear the google map directions. Is there a war to control the volume independently?
Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

If the phone is connected via Bluetooth but is not the audio source for the MMI (i.e. you are listening to radio), some apps on the phone use the hands free feature instead of BT audio to play their sounds. You can adjust that volume while the MMI is in hands free mode, i.e. during a phone call that is using the MMI as headset.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
If the phone is connected via Bluetooth but is not the audio source for the MMI (i.e. you are listening to radio), some apps on the phone use the hands free feature instead of BT audio to play their sounds. You can adjust that volume while the MMI is in hands free mode, i.e. during a phone call that is using the MMI as headset.
I am not using Bluetooth. The phone is plugged in and I am running CarPlay. Google maps won't show up on the screen but that doesn't matter as I find the audio directions sufficient and less distracting. I just cannot control the radio volume and google maps volume independently.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Laggy transmission

I am not using Bluetooth. The phone is plugged in and I am running CarPlay. Google maps won't show up on the screen but that doesn't matter as I find the audio directions sufficient and less distracting. I just cannot control the radio volume and google maps volume independently.
Try going into the google maps app and hitting the menu icon (three horizontal lines in the top left) and going to settings (gear icon in the top right). You should be able to set the volume to "louder".
Old 08-30-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can enable the app to send the sound as if it a bluetooth phone call so that it plays even if another source is selected. Under the same settings as above, just select play bluetooth as a phone call. This also works for waze.