A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried the above with no luck. I am in Toronto.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Caudi_b
Thanks for the reply cukecuke. Over the past couple of days, I have found some other messages boards suggesting some other 5F combinations; will give them a try and report back.
Hi, I've updated the maps to v2018 from myaudi via sd card. Before that, I messed around with the 5F codings given here of jampraneel including enabling the LTE Module. First nothing happened and I still wasn't able to receive or transmit data via WiFi hotspot. I installed an app showing inbound and outbound data activity on my iphone. The data connection between the car and the phone seemed OK but there was no actual data exchange. Today, strange thing happened and MMI asked me if to switch to the LTE module for data connection instead of hotspot. The data connection menu was there after enabling LTE module and installing the missing UMTS antenna but the menu was disabled before. I said yes and immediately inserted my SIM into the slot. The data menu was enabled and MMI asked for a valid APN configuration. I configured based on my carrier settings and voila! LTE connection was active and in about 20 seconds google earth loaded. I don't know why it took some time to activate the LTE module but certainly MMI did something after the map update. So; maybe for some cars, installed maps doesn't support or somehow, something blocks google earth overlay and while updating it checks again if Google earth is enabled and adds support. I'm just guessing. Here is what I experienced and hope it gives some idea for those who have the google earth loading issue. After maybe a year I have a working Google earth.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Very interesting. I have similar issue with my 2018 S3. When I change to Google Earth, it loads for a while then the Google Logo goes away. When I go to settings again it's back to regular maps. If I select Google Earth again as soon as I hit the back button it reverts back to standard maps. The only way to get to try again is to restart MMI.

I still have to buy the antenna but it seems hard to find? Could anyone point me to where they bought it? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought multiple ones just because I'm crazy and i haven't noticed a difference between em
there's a huge difference between having an antenna and not having it. (i know its shocking)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...3da24c4dzNOait

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IP67...3da24c4dzNOait

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UMTS...3da24c4dzNOait

with all of these you have to remove the plastic piece from the connector otherwise it doesn't fit.
but it comes out really easily you just pull a tab out from the side the connector comes out of the plastic piece
also I've left the antenna in the glove box the whole time, the only time i haven't had a signal is when my phone was also not getting a signal
Old 08-31-2018, 01:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jEFS3
Very interesting. I have similar issue with my 2018 S3. When I change to Google Earth, it loads for a while then the Google Logo goes away. When I go to settings again it's back to regular maps. If I select Google Earth again as soon as I hit the back button it reverts back to standard maps. The only way to get to try again is to restart MMI.

I still have to buy the antenna but it seems hard to find? Could anyone point me to where they bought it? Thanks!
I got this one and plugged it into purple outlet of mmi unit and mounted the antenna into the window column by prying the trim slightly. It's completely invisible. Car shops do it this way as far as I know.

In addition to my earlier post, I don't think the LTE module activation is related to map update anymore. The reason why google earth was not loading is the data transmission problem via hotspot even though they both seem connected. And, I still don't know why they can't exchange data. Google earth only works via LTE module data connection right now which is kind of useless without a dedicated sim data plan.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK thanks. I ordered 2 earlier this week. Isn't it working off the integrated SIM in the car if you remove the SIM you added for your tests? I have easy access to SIM cards and I have one in my car now. It picks up connection when really close to towers. I stopped in a spot it was not too bad I tried to load the maps... still it load for a while and goes away reverting back to standard maps. When I try to switch it again it reverts right back. I had the same behavior with the hotspot.
Whithout a SIM inserted it's different, I end up have a no connection message.
Another weird thing I still have to figure out it that when I enable the LTE, specifically the Byte_15 long coding, it greys out the hotspot connection portion of the Wifi settings so I can't connect to, let's say, my phone for example. I don't understand why the two would be exclusive and you could not have LTE and Hotsport on at the same time...
Old 09-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jEFS3
OK thanks. I ordered 2 earlier this week. Isn't it working off the integrated SIM in the car if you remove the SIM you added for your tests? I have easy access to SIM cards and I have one in my car now. It picks up connection when really close to towers. I stopped in a spot it was not too bad I tried to load the maps... still it load for a while and goes away reverting back to standard maps. When I try to switch it again it reverts right back. I had the same behavior with the hotspot.
Whithout a SIM inserted it's different, I end up have a no connection message.
Another weird thing I still have to figure out it that when I enable the LTE, specifically the Byte_15 long coding, it greys out the hotspot connection portion of the Wifi settings so I can't connect to, let's say, my phone for example. I don't understand why the two would be exclusive and you could not have LTE and Hotsport on at the same time...
My car is european spec and it doesn't have an integrated SIM. About the reverting back issue, I also experienced it in an area where I knew about network coverage issues. It might be a workaround for slow connections and nothing more.

About disabled hotspot menu, it is possible to enable it by turning off the data module via MMI online settings menu. They can't be active at the same time for some reason. Sometimes switching to data module from hotspot client is not straightforward and MMI requires a soft reset.

Last edited by cukecuke; 09-03-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I received the antennas today and installed them both, pretty easy. I get better signal. However It still behaves the same. I found a spot where I was getting 4 bars (very good) and tried to change to Google Earth. It behaved exactly the same as I saw the Google logo with the loading progress bar. When it reached 100% it disapeared. When I try again it reverts right back. Does that until I reboot MMI or restart the car. I am using an external SIM but I get the same result with Wifi.

Anyone has an idea? Is it possible that I got a setting wrong or that anything is missing?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not Google Earth, I know, but today was a good day if you have IOS 12 and are WAZE tester. A new test version of Waze came out today that brings Waze to CarPlay. Here it is on the screen of my Canadian 2017 S3.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Still not Google Earth but Google Maps 5.0.3001 just out and supports CarPlay. Waze and Google Maps is one week - goanna start using CarPlay a lot now.

Quick Reply: Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi