A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered my Q7, i live in montreal and THANK GODi found this thread! amazing info here....

so whats the verdict on how much DATA it uses? in one post i read about 500 and another says 100 for 45 min! huge difference

can anyone confirm? i can get a 18gig telus plan, but if its really 500m every 30-45 min that won't suffice!

Thank you!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Avandss
just ordered my Q7, i live in montreal and THANK GODi found this thread! amazing info here....

so whats the verdict on how much DATA it uses? in one post i read about 500 and another says 100 for 45 min! huge difference

can anyone confirm? i can get a 18gig telus plan, but if its really 500m every 30-45 min that won't suffice!

Thank you!
Congrats on the Q7!

To be honest, I am not sure about data usage. I just checked my S7's mobile data usage for tethering. My cycle reset on the 20th (so it's been 2 days), and according to my phone, I used only 2MB for the past 2 days. Which is very weird because I did have google earth showing in my virtual cockpit for both yesterday and today on my commute.

I am starting to think whether or not there's some sort of cache in the system now. I drive the same route everyday to/from work so maybe that's why it's not consuming the data?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

how many gigs do you have with your plan? and how often do you use it?

if you dont bust it with your current plan that would answer the question?

i do think that 500 is a little much for a 45min commute, it's not like its streaming an HD movie... and google is usually efficient with data consumption..i would thing atleast
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Avandss
how many gigs do you have with your plan? and how often do you use it?

if you dont bust it with your current plan that would answer the question?

i do think that 500 is a little much for a 45min commute, it's not like its streaming an HD movie... and google is usually efficient with data consumption..i would thing atleast
I have 6GB with Rogers and I am never over. Actually I just looked back on my data usage on mobile hotspot for the past 3 months, and I am never over 400MB. I have it turned on 80% of the time when I drive and I commute 40min each way to/from work.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Be carefull if you connect devices to the wifi hotspot of the car, because devices connected to a wifi connection usually download updates of all sorts and might eat up all your data!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello Guys... I live outside the US/Canada and my S3 comes without the sim card slot and without Audi Connect... Could this still work?

JC
Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why not since most of us was able to do this using our phones to thether.... one guy said he was able to able to active the sim slot but disappeared without a trace, maybe the Audi CIA got him , who knows
Old 03-24-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chimcu
I don't see why not since most of us was able to do this using our phones to thether.... one guy said he was able to able to active the sim slot but disappeared without a trace, maybe the Audi CIA got him , who knows

LOL you got out a good laugh out of me... will try now.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help/troubleshoot - did not work with my Q7

Hi OP and the rest... Made the changes as described today in my 2017 Q7 Technique S-Line (May 2016 production, no Audi Connect at the time). I used ODBEleven PRO that was purchased back in Nov. Anyways. Changed the adaption as described in the OP... but didn't quite work. Let me explain. please let me know where I went wrong.

1. made all the changes as described. clicked on the green arrow (checkmark) and adaptation was saved.
2. reset MMI. Pushed up Nav and Radio and held them in the up position then press and released the center **** - noticed MMI reloaded.
3. went to Connect Manager, 4th option down MMI Connect App, press (+) button/right menu button, selected to WIFI Option, 1) selected to Hotspot & Client, 2) rolled down to the bottom to "Search" for available network.

Here comes the problem:

Can't find my phone's hotspot! I have a iPhone 7 Plus. But It finds my house WIFI SSID no problem (and my neighbors!) and my HP wireless printer. So I drove out to a near-by park. brought my iPad along. and tried to search there. Nothing came up. However, my iPad found my iPhone's Personal hotspot no problem and tethered just fine as always. Is it an iOS WiFi hotspot issue?

Anyways, drove home, decided at least just connect to the house WiFi. entered password and MMI says successfully connected. (In Connection Manager, 3 option down, Data Connection, status now shows connected)

Went to Nav Map display setting, changed from Standard to Google Earth, backed out of there, re-entered to the Map main menu, Screen shows 4 audi Rings and Google Earth cover-page-like background, with the clock spinning... and spins and spins and spins...

Where did I go wrong? 1. what's up with my crap phone hotspot? 2. looks like connection was made but not sure if data started to "flow?"

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

feels like maybe there is another adaptation setting where it "allows" data to flow?

Quick Reply: Guide: Enable Google Earth/Traffic on Canada spec Audi