A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

I miss my car... (two days with a Progressiv)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

German cars are iffy when it comes to standard equipment. I was either getting an A4 or C300. The Mercedes doesn't have CarPlay or AndroidAuto! Korean cars are definitely bang for your buck though
Old 04-26-2019, 11:53 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
OP -sorry to hear about the damage.

I hate parking garages and valet parking for obvious reasons.. Anytime I have to valet I will hand the guy a tip when I arrive and ask him if I can park it up front which they usually let me. If they don't I'll ask them to keep it up front and I tell him I'll take care of you again later when I leave. Anytime I do this my wife will always shake her head as if I am embarrassing her.

Funny thing is last week my wife had to go to a training class for work and it was mandatory valet parking at the location. Well, she tells me it was a very tight lot so she followed my lead and tipped the guy to park it up front which he did. I just smiled and kept the comments to myself.
I should have been a little clearer - the incident with my car did not involve valet parking or anything like that. It involved a Lexus SUV parked next to me that somehow turned too soon on its way out... so her door hit my fender/bumper.

(This is actually a good thing compared to my car being in movement - under Ontario insurance rules, if a moving vehicle hits a parked vehicle, it seems that the moving vehicle is deemd at fault and the parked vehicle doesn't have to pay an insurance deductible or anything... and gets a rental vehicle even if the insurance policy wouldn't normally cover it)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SNGGA
This x100000000, like I get this is German car and we need to pay for all the nice toys but these are like standard safety features I think even Benz and possibly even BMW have?
I thought for MY19 they would at least make Pre-Sense City standard but nope, this is Canada we don't get the good stuff
Even the new Q3 doesn't have it as this will be the newest Audi yet here
Do A3s (let alone Q3s) even have standard rearview cameras these days? In the US they do since rear view cameras are mandated, but I'm not sure Canadian-spec ones do...
Old 04-26-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Do A3s (let alone Q3s) even have standard rearview cameras these days? In the US they do since rear view cameras are mandated, but I'm not sure Canadian-spec ones do...
Any and all vehicles sold after May 2018 are suppose to come with rearview cameras; mandatory from Transport Canada.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
So... my car was the victim of a rather unfortunate mishap in a parking garage last week. Off to the body shop it is for probably at least two weeks...

The dealership group's in-house rental provider gave me another A4. Big kudos for them for doing that - it's much more convenient than trying to get a comparable car from a random rental car company.

This thing is a 2018 progressiv with the sport ventilated seats. (Roughly comparable to the US premium plus with a few omissions because... Canada)

A couple of thoughts/questions/rants:
1. I remember reading a thread about the poor quality of the rear camera. Wow is the rear camera a disappointment compared to that on the cars with the 360 camera.
2. The audio system... makes me miss my B&O.
3. I really, really, really miss my safety features. Adaptive cruise, pre-sense city, lane keep assist, etc.
4. The sport ventilated seats are not bad... maybe I should have ordered those... oh well, on my next car?
5. Is the non-VC instrument cluster mounted at a different angle than the virtual cockpit? It... feels differently located, though maybe my seating position being different in this car is part of it...

Not sure what other changes there are - the front console USB port, I notice the all-weather lights seem to be gone (but I don't know if that's a 2018 thing or a Progressiv thing), otherwise... hmm... it's another A4. I do really love the A4 though... especially when it isn't smashed up...
I feel your "pain." It is hard to get into pretty much any other car from our two Audis. The dealer loaners are fine, but they are always models that are at least a step down in trim.

I've got it so bad that I now rent through Silvercar when I can. But even those cars are Premium+, so I definitely miss the extra features we have with the Prestige trim. The ones I miss the very most are the Adaptive Cruise Control and the 360 cameras with top view. And the sound system is clearly not as good.

Audi forced me into the Prestige trim because I couldn't get the Driver Assistance Package without it. Now, I am pretty much hooked on all the nice features...
Old 04-29-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
I feel your "pain." It is hard to get into pretty much any other car from our two Audis. The dealer loaners are fine, but they are always models that are at least a step down in trim.

I've got it so bad that I now rent through Silvercar when I can. But even those cars are Premium+, so I definitely miss the extra features we have with the Prestige trim. The ones I miss the very most are the Adaptive Cruise Control and the 360 cameras with top view. And the sound system is clearly not as good.

Audi forced me into the Prestige trim because I couldn't get the Driver Assistance Package without it. Now, I am pretty much hooked on all the nice features...
Agree - for me I'm glad I bought the Prestige level for the reasons you mention, but I really think the ACC should be standard equipment on all levels - it's that much of a safety issues - as well a comfort issue.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:16 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Agree - for me I'm glad I bought the Prestige level for the reasons you mention, but I really think the ACC should be standard equipment on all levels - it's that much of a safety issues - as well a comfort issue.
And unfortunately, it won't be standard equipment until some regulator mandates it...

Have you seen Doug DeMuro's video review of an MB CLA45 from the year before rear view cameras were mandated in the US? That car is like upwards of 50K USD and it doesn't even have a rear view camera! Doug rightfully rips it a new one for that...

Honestly, after now a week with this car, I remain somewhat shocked. This car MSRPs for maybe $5K less than mine... and the difference in safety content is just crazy. No blind spot monitoring, no lane departure warning, no traffic sign recognition, no adaptive cruise of course, no 360 camera, no... anything. Honestly, I suspect my dad's 2009 Hyundai Genesis had the same safety features as this 2018 car...
Old 04-29-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Agreed. You can get features like ACC and blind spot monitoring on mid-level trims of some VWs (Golf SE, Atlas V6 SE), so I think it is just a matter of time before Audi offers DAP as at least an option on the P+ lines. Perhaps 2020?
Old 04-30-2019, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
And unfortunately, it won't be standard equipment until some regulator mandates it...

Have you seen Doug DeMuro's video review of an MB CLA45 from the year before rear view cameras were mandated in the US? That car is like upwards of 50K USD and it doesn't even have a rear view camera! Doug rightfully rips it a new one for that...

Honestly, after now a week with this car, I remain somewhat shocked. This car MSRPs for maybe $5K less than mine... and the difference in safety content is just crazy. No blind spot monitoring, no lane departure warning, no traffic sign recognition, no adaptive cruise of course, no 360 camera, no... anything. Honestly, I suspect my dad's 2009 Hyundai Genesis had the same safety features as this 2018 car...
I didn't get the DAP with my Technik b/c it's like another $2k+ ? For the Technik trim they should really make some of the DAP features standard like the Prestige in the US. At least Presense City...or Lane Departure, HUD would be nice too
We were looking at the Accord 2.0 Touring and it had a lot of the DA features plus HUD and then we saw that it's a package on the A4 lol (yes I know you can't compare Accord to A4)
Just for German cars (at least in Canada), you have to play ball or get nothing
Do Porsche owners feel the same too lol everything has a price
Old 04-30-2019, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SNGGA
I didn't get the DAP with my Technik b/c it's like another $2k+ ? For the Technik trim they should really make some of the DAP features standard like the Prestige in the US. At least Presense City...or Lane Departure, HUD would be nice too
We were looking at the Accord 2.0 Touring and it had a lot of the DA features plus HUD and then we saw that it's a package on the A4 lol (yes I know you can't compare Accord to A4)
Just for German cars (at least in Canada), you have to play ball or get nothing
Do Porsche owners feel the same too lol everything has a price
Keep in mind when Audi moved DAP from an option to standard for A4 Prestige trims, they also upped the price by almost the same amount of money as the option previously cost. So a 2017 A4 Allroad Prestige plus DAP listed for just a few hundred more than a 2018 A4 Allroad Prestige (with DAP standard). So you pay either way. DAP still just an option in some Audi models. The option just costs more on the higher end models...

Quick Reply: I miss my car... (two days with a Progressiv)