A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Manhattan Gray or Daytona Gray

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. Manhattan Grey is a good compromise between black, blue, silver and grey as it feels there is a tinge of each in it.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
They are both really nice.
I went with Daytona ��

Old 06-11-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your Daytona looks great! This is mine manhattan.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by KBeagle
I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
They are both really nice.
I went with Daytona ��

LOVE that Daytona! You really managed to capture the blue-green color in it. Very few pics show that. Those wheels are great as well!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The difference between metallic and pearlescent is in the materials they use in the undercoats. Metallic usually contains very fine aluminium powder, which helps reflect light pretty evenly but as aluminium oxidizes, it wont last forever. however, it is far easier to replace should you ever need to do that. it also reflects light without having any prismatic effect, so it doesn't really split light, meaning you only see the effect of a small part of the overall paint at any time.

Pearlescent paint uses a powdered mineral, Mica, instead of aluminium. this has to be processed quite a lot, before it is pure enough and powdred enough to use in the car paint. As well, a small difference in the chemical composition of the mica can give different results in terms of the end product, so it needs to be very tightly controlled. It is far more difficult to replace, and usually has to be sourced directly from the OEM. It has a somewhat prismatic effect, so spreads the light as well as reflecting it. This is what gives it its 3D look. You can see its effect over the whole car very easily. As well, (and there is some question about this) people claim it shines up better under wax. Where the metallic paint shines well, the pearlescent paint develops a really nice, thick lustre that people say metallics struggle to match.

Personally, if money wasnt an issue, i would always recommend the Daytona grey option. as its limited to the S line cars, its going to be rarer, and i have to agree with the looks thing - the pearlescent Daytona grey does look far better.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by j2488
The difference between metallic and pearlescent is in the materials they use in the undercoats. Metallic usually contains very fine aluminium powder, which helps reflect light pretty evenly but as aluminium oxidizes, it wont last forever. however, it is far easier to replace should you ever need to do that. it also reflects light without having any prismatic effect, so it doesn't really split light, meaning you only see the effect of a small part of the overall paint at any time.

Pearlescent paint uses a powdered mineral, Mica, instead of aluminium. this has to be processed quite a lot, before it is pure enough and powdred enough to use in the car paint. As well, a small difference in the chemical composition of the mica can give different results in terms of the end product, so it needs to be very tightly controlled. It is far more difficult to replace, and usually has to be sourced directly from the OEM. It has a somewhat prismatic effect, so spreads the light as well as reflecting it. This is what gives it its 3D look. You can see its effect over the whole car very easily. As well, (and there is some question about this) people claim it shines up better under wax. Where the metallic paint shines well, the pearlescent paint develops a really nice, thick lustre that people say metallics struggle to match.

Personally, if money wasnt an issue, i would always recommend the Daytona grey option. as its limited to the S line cars, its going to be rarer, and i have to agree with the looks thing - the pearlescent Daytona grey does look far better.
The decision was easy for me since the Allroad doesn't come in the Daytona. I agree it definitely looks better in a photo than the MGM, but in person, the MGM looks better than it does in the photos on this thread.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Agreed
Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blorzoga
The decision was easy for me since the Allroad doesn't come in the Daytona. I agree it definitely looks better in a photo than the MGM, but in person, the MGM looks better than it does in the photos on this thread.
Id go one step further and suggest if you put the two side by side, the MGM looks like any other metallic gray car, but the DGP just looks that bit more impressive. The depth of the colour is really something on the DGP.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by j2488
Id go one step further and suggest if you put the two side by side, the MGM looks like any other metallic gray car, but the DGP just looks that bit more impressive. The depth of the colour is really something on the DGP.
Agreed. I had an '11 S5 Cab in DGP and the depth is incredible. It appears to be a gray-green, but up close the magenta and green flecks really pop.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is one other thing.

In bright light, the MGMwill suffer what all metallics do, white reflection.

This is when the bright light is reflected off the car but because of the curves,and the way metallic paint reflects the light, the reflection is too strong from certain areas of the car and this results in a pure white reflection. Because its so bright, the rest of the car looks duller in comparison.

Parlescent paints dont really have this problem since they refract the light instead of reflecting it.

Quick Reply: Manhattan Gray or Daytona Gray