A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Mileage on odometer. Concern?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Mileage on odometer. Concern?

My Dealer is locating my 2017 A4. Should have one from another dealer (probably in NJ/NY). Question, what would be an acceptable amount of mileage on the car when I get it? I wanted to somehow ensure this wasn't used as the dealer demo car. Or is that even a concern?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always worried about that too. If I am buying a new car, I don't want one with a 1000 miles on it. I know that when they let these managers take these cars home or whatever, I'm sure they beat the hell out of them. When I got mine, it had 65 miles on it and part of that was they had to drive the car from another dealer that was about 25 miles away. I think under a couple hundred miles is acceptable.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm going to call my SA and ask that I be informed of mileage on the car, prior to being delivered here. If the mileage is an amount that I feel comfortable, than ok, but if it's too high (not sure of that amount this moment) I'm gonna assume that it could have been used as a demo car for test drives and that's not acceptable for me.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow, that never dawned on me to check the mileage. I remember many years ago, I bought off the lot a new Nissan Maxima that had 2,000 miles on the odometer. I argued to the salesman that it was a used car, and he said it wasn't because it never had been registered. I ended up buying it and never had any major problems with it.

My Audi dealership found my 2017 at a port in Philadelphia, about 300+ miles from where I purchased the car. It had 19 miles on the odometer, so I was satisfied with that. Plus the car was in flawless condition. But if it had arrived with 1,000 or more miles on the odometer? I would have had an issue with that.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I look at it is if someone is driving these cars as a demo car or something, it's like renting a car. We've all rented cars before and beat them up. I guarantee you the same thing happens with these demo cars. I would never buy a new car with anything over a couple hundred miles on it but that's just me.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I would say 300 miles is acceptable. Sometimes we drive over 300 miles just to do the dealer trade. With that said, your car will be driven by someone. Sometimes they arrive new at the dealership with 40 miles, sometimes 6 miles, but usually somewhere in the teens. They are also driven for PDI, to get gas, etc. It also depends on the dealer, but not all of them use demo cars. Some just grab any car off the lot for the test drive so that they all have somewhat low and equal mileage instead of being stuck with high mileage demo cars.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Wow, that never dawned on me to check the mileage. I remember many years ago, I bought off the lot a new Nissan Maxima that had 2,000 miles on the odometer. I argued to the salesman that it was a used car, and he said it wasn't because it never had been registered. I ended up buying it and never had any major problems with it.

My Audi dealership found my 2017 at a port in Philadelphia, about 300+ miles from where I purchased the car. It had 19 miles on the odometer, so I was satisfied with that. Plus the car was in flawless condition. But if it had arrived with 1,000 or more miles on the odometer? I would have had an issue with that.
2000 miles and telling you it's a new car because it's not yet registered. Well thankfully, most of we consumers are a little less gullible from our years of experience, but this is why there is a common sense of distrust for the auto salespeople. Yes, yes, a there are excellent ones out there and I have found a few, but still, much of that distrust or at least skepticism is deserved....
Old 05-27-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was shopping for my A4 a couple weeks ago the dealer had three identical cars. The one they gave me overnight had roughly 500 miles on it when I returned it the next day. I told them if I moved forward I would rather have one of the other two cars with only 20-30 miles on them. At the time, I was planning on leasing the car, and the dealer made a good point. The car would be covered for the full 36 months / 36k miles of the lease regardless of whether it had 2 or 2,000 miles on it. But, to make me feel better he offered to take off $1 of for every mile on the car and knocked another $500 off of the car (in addition to the discount we already negotiated) with the miles. That seemed fair to me.
A few days later I had decided to purchase the car instead of leasing it, and agreed on the price we reached without the additional $500 discount, for a car with only 25 miles on it. But, when I got to the dealer, I noticed they accidentally used the worksheet from the 500 mile car and the lower value was listed on the purchasing docs. Well, I'd like to say I did the ethical thing, but the truth is I couldn't sign all the papers fast enough.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I would say 300 miles is acceptable. Sometimes we drive over 300 miles just to do the dealer trade.
A 300 mile dealer trade...and they don't truck it!? That is surprising.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
A 300 mile dealer trade...and they don't truck it!? That is surprising.
We almost never truck them.

Quick Reply: Mileage on odometer. Concern?