A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Nav starts the radio too. Why ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nav starts the radio too. Why ??

OK I give up -- is it impossible to turn nav on without the radio coming on too?
Old 04-11-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Just put the audio source in Aux, Bluetooth, CD, etc.. and it won't start up automatically (as there will be no source audio coming through). Just select Radio if you decide you wan to listen to the radio.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by volcomic
Just put the audio source in Aux, Bluetooth, CD, etc.. and it won't start up automatically (as there will be no source audio coming through). Just select Radio if you decide you wan to listen to the radio.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, this took me a while to get used to as well. As far as I can tell, the "entertainment audio" (ie radio, CD, media etc) is never "Off". There is no on/off switch. It can be muted or paused but never switched off. And any button or setting you switch, that invokes audio of any sort (e.g. Nav) automatically unmutes and/or unpauses the entertainment audio, presumably in the process of enabling the overall audio. Here's another example. Mute or pause whatever music you were previously listening to, then go to the MMI Touch Volume setting. Your music will resume. This annoyed me a lot at first (and still does sometimes) until I got used to it.

Switching to Media modes where there's none available (e.g. DVD with no disk in the player, Aux with no source connected, SD/USB with no card/thumb drive inserted) is an effective workaround, but I find it's quicker and easier to just tap the volume **** anytime I hear music when I dont to. It becomes reflexive pretty quickly.

This is one of very few UI/UX *design* errors with the car IMO.

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 05-12-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Yeah, this took me a while to get used to as well. As far as I can tell, the "entertainment audio" (ie radio, CD, media etc) is never "Off". There is no on/off switch. It can be muted or paused but never switched off. And any button or setting you switch, that invokes audio of any sort (e.g. Nav) automatically unmutes and/or unpauses the entertainment audio, presumably in the process of enabling the overall audio. Here's another example. Mute or pause whatever music you were previously listening to, then go to the MMI Touch Volume setting. Your music will resume. This annoyed me a lot at first (and still does sometimes) until I got used to it.

Switching to Media modes where there's none available (e.g. DVD with no disk in the player, Aux with no source connected, SD/USB with no card/thumb drive inserted) is an effective workaround, but I find it's quicker and easier to just tap the volume **** anytime I hear music when I dont to. It becomes reflexive pretty quickly.

This is one of very few UI/UX *design* errors with the car IMO.
Are you sure this isn’t a software glitch? I have software 3xxx something and I don’t get this problem. I switch to NAV and my radio doesn’t come on. I switch to MMI touch volume and it only does “MMI TOUCH VOLUME” sequence. My only issue is that when I use CarPlay and Spotify, the volume is usually lower than radio; so when I unplug my phone it switches to radio and it’s hella loud!

But I just have to remember to switch the source to media so it doesn’t switch to radio.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

What is the sequence that causes this? I've only had mine for 3 months, so maybe I'm missing something, but the nearest I have to "off" is pushing down the volume dial or turning it all the way counter-clockwise. This puts the crossed-out-speaker icon on the screen.

When I do this, turning Nav on/off/on doesn't turn on any audio, whether I was listening to radio or media.