A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation without Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation without Audi Connect?

Will the navigation system on the 2017 Q7 still work if I discontinue Audi Connect Service? I realize I would not receive map updates or other Audi Connect services.

Audi marketing materials say that some functions require internet access to work. Does this have to be Audi Connect? Can I use a hotspot on my phone instead?
Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Yes, it will still work, but you won't get any traffic information anymore, so the routes will be static. Also no Google Earth overlays of course.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

It sucks that you cannot use your phone hotspot to get google earth or traffic information either!!!!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I let my Audi Connect expire and have no desire to renew it as its not worth the price for me. During my 6 month trial it repeatedly couldn’t find what I ask (speech) or even type-in. After several attempts, really wanting it to work I ended up grabbing my phone (google maps) and every time the first time it finds my destination. Its truly disappointing as I really like the map on the dash (Tech package)!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinmaster7
I let my Audi Connect expire and have no desire to renew it as its not worth the price for me. During my 6 month trial it repeatedly couldn’t find what I ask (speech) or even type-in. After several attempts, really wanting it to work I ended up grabbing my phone (google maps) and every time the first time it finds my destination. Its truly disappointing as I really like the map on the dash (Tech package)!
We're you using Google search with Audi Connect or just the built in search? If you didn't specify online destination, it wasn't using Google.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Spinmaster7
Sounds like you didn't learn how to use it properly. A Google search performed through Audi connect is the exact same search that is done in Google Maps. Anything Google Maps finds, the MMI can fine, but you obvioiusly have to issue the correct command. You need to say "Google search <search term>" or "Online destinations <search term>"
Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Sounds like you didn't learn how to use it properly. A Google search performed through Audi connect is the exact same search that is done in Google Maps. Anything Google Maps finds, the MMI can fine, but you obvioiusly have to issue the correct command. You need to say "Google search <search term>" or "Online destinations <search term>"
I was under the impression that the only REAL google maps that you can get is through Android Auto. The Google search that you describe is still using Audi's Here maps correct?
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clone1008
I was under the impression that the only REAL google maps that you can get is through Android Auto. The Google search that you describe is still using Audi's Here maps correct?
A Google search is a Google search, whether it's done through Android Auto or directly through the MMI. A Google Local search results in a set of GPS coordinates for the place you looked for. If you then navigate to these coordinates, the MMI will use its own HERE maps, where as Android Auto will use Google Maps, but the database you did the search against is exactly the same Google database. Search and Maps are two different concerns. A search results in a list of places with corresponding GPS coordinates. HERE maps or Google Maps is then used for turn-by-turn directions to those GPS coordinates from your current position. You may get a different route from HERE maps vs Google Maps, but you'll end up at the same place.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-22-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
A Google search is a Google search, whether it's done through Android Auto or directly through the MMI. A Google Local search results in a set of GPS coordinates for the place you looked for. If you then navigate to these coordinates, the MMI will use its own HERE maps, where as Android Auto will use Google Maps, but the database you did the search against is exactly the same Google database. Search and Maps are two different concerns. A search results in a list of places with corresponding GPS coordinates. HERE maps or Google Maps is then used for turn-by-turn directions to those GPS coordinates from your current position. You may get a different route from HERE maps vs Google Maps, but you'll end up at the same place.
The reason I commented is because I tested it this morning with different results. I pushed the talk button and said "google search ....then said the business I was looking for. When it came up I chose to navigate to it. I then opened Google Maps on my phone and put the same business name in the search and chose to drive to it. This trip was a 200 mile trip and both were identical in directions until the last 5 miles. The Audi navigation kept wanting me to do a U turn all the way to the business while Google Maps on my phone took me right to the front door. So in your theory it sounds right but in the real world something is different. What am I missing?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Slightly off topic - but related....
Does anyone (SYMAWD ?) have any updated information regarding Audi's disclaimer in the new brochures that "Google Earth and Google Street View services may not be available after December 2017" ?
After what I paid to continue Audi Connect for 30 months on two cars - they darn well better have an alternative available .

Quick Reply: Navigation without Audi Connect?