A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New To Me 2017 A4 - Tech Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New To Me 2017 A4 - Tech Questions

I just purchase a used 2017 A4 with the Premium Plus trim. I have a few questions about some of the tech features that I’m hoping someone can help answer. I really appreciate any insights you can offer.

I’m still trying to fully understand the MMI, and I’m also wondering how to fully configure it.
  • The prior owner’s info appears to still be stored.
  • The screen prompts in the car suggest I should visit the dealership to get it reset.
  • The MyAudi App (on my iPhone) has a similar message.
  • Some information I’ve seen online suggests I need an AT&T subscription. True?
  • Do I need to go to the dealer to have it reset?
  • Do I need to contact AT&T to get a data subscription for the car? (That’s my current carrier anyway.)

I have an iPhone X, and the Apple Car Play works great when I have the phone plugged into the hard wire connection. I’ve also paired the phone using BlueTooth for calls. But:
  • Wondering if there’s a way to connect to Car Play without having to use the hard wire connection?
  • Is this somehow connected to the WiFi pairing? I don’t seem to be able to get that to work yet either.
I downloaded the MyAudi App, but during setup it says verification isn’t complete. (I bought the car from a dealer, but it wasn’t an Audi dealer.)
  • The iPhone app says “verification is not yet complete. To make full use of the connect services, please contact your dealer or start the verification again.” Any thoughts?
  • Do I need a dealer to reset this feature?
  • What does it do? Is this related to the MMI?
  • Does it allow the car to connect to the MyAudi App?
Also, it’s not obvious to me how to get the google earth view on the Nav screen.
  • Perhaps that not a feature, but though it was.
  • Appreciate any suggestions for how to get that feature to work.
  • I’ve seen some suggestions that Google Earth won’t be available much loner (
On the satellite radio:
  • Is there an easy way to delete all of the prior owner’s presets?
  • The current process seems a bit tedious.
Finally, there’s only one key. New keys look pretty expensive.
  • Any suggestions for the most cost effective way to get another key?
I love this car, but just want to activate all the techie bells and whistles! This seems like a great group for help!

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Brian

Old 02-10-2020, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Nettleingham
I just purchase a used 2017 A4 with the Premium Plus trim. I have a few questions about some of the tech features that I’m hoping someone can help answer. I really appreciate any insights you can offer.
I presume you have an owner's manual? Most of the questions can be answered in it. However, I will try to help with some things, off the top of my head.

I’m still trying to fully understand the MMI, and I’m also wondering how to fully configure it.
  • The screen prompts in the car suggest I should visit the dealership to get it reset.
  • Do I need to contact AT&T to get a data subscription for the car? (That’s my current carrier anyway.)
I would visit an Audi dealership and try to get things reset. You don't need an AT&T subscription unless you want to have WiFi in your car. I think if you subscribe to Audi Connect ($199 every six months), Wifi is an additional $10 a month.

I have an iPhone X, and the Apple Car Play works great when I have the phone plugged into the hard wire connection. I’ve also paired the phone using BlueTooth for calls. But:
  • Wondering if there’s a way to connect to Car Play without having to use the hard wire connection?
  • Is this somehow connected to the WiFi pairing? I don’t seem to be able to get that to work yet either.
You need a wired connection for your phone. There's no WiFi pairing that I know of.

I downloaded the MyAudi App, but during setup it says verification isn’t complete. (I bought the car from a dealer, but it wasn’t an Audi dealer.)
  • The iPhone app says “verification is not yet complete. To make full use of the connect services, please contact your dealer or start the verification again.” Any thoughts?
You probably won't get the MyAudi App to work properly until you get your car reset at the dealership. The MyAudi app allows you to do certain things remotely on your car, like lock and unlock the doors, check the oil level and odometer readings, set a valet mode and check your car's location, etc.

Also, it’s not obvious to me how to get the google earth view on the Nav screen.
  • I’ve seen some suggestions that Google Earth won’t be available much loner(
You have to go into the MMI to select the Google Earth maps. Check the manual or just browse through the screens to find it. Yes, Google Earth on Audi ends at the end of the year, I think. Some have said that Audi is working on a replacement. I hope so.

On the satellite radio:
I would do a Google search for that.

The car originally came with two keys; the dealer should have given you two. You'll probably have to buy another one from the Audi dealer. Yes, they are expensive.

I love this car, but just want to activate all the techie bells and whistles! This seems like a great group for help!

Regards,
Brian

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-10-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Nettleingham

• I’ve seen some suggestions that Google Earth won’t be available much loner (
On the satellite radio:

Regards,
Brian

You do not have to have a 3rd party wireless plan, this would be used for mobile hotspot. If you do, you have to pay for an audi connect subscription, which is totally useless and not worth it at all. The google map overlay is the only useful, in my opinion, feature of audi connect. It's really not useful it just helps the built in map feel less naked.

I bought my car from a VW dealer and I had, still have actually, the verification message you mentioned in the myAudi app. Didn't bring it up when I was getting my 30k check up though and there's many complaints about it on here so I guess I don't really see the point of it.

I never look at the satellite radio stuff

Congrats on the car
Old 02-10-2020, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Voelker
You do not have to have a 3rd party wireless plan, this would be used for mobile hotspot. If you do, you have to pay for an audi connect subscription, which is totally useless and not worth it at all. The google map overlay is the only useful, in my opinion, feature of audi connect. It's really not useful it just helps the built in map feel less naked.

I bought my car from a VW dealer and I had, still have actually, the verification message you mentioned in the myAudi app. Didn't bring it up when I was getting my 30k check up though and there's many complaints about it on here so I guess I don't really see the point of it.

Congrats on the car
Thanks so much. I spoke with Audi, and apparently I have to purchase a new vehicle code (which has to be sent from Germany) so that the prior owner can be removed and I can start fresh. I would like to be able to use the cell phone app.

I appreciate the feedback on AudiConnect - I was reaching a similar conclusion. And given that the Google Earth feature isn’t going to be available on my model for much longer, I don’t see the point.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Voelker

Congrats on the car
VERY helpful information. Thank you. I’ve been trying to research this stuff online and in the manual, but candidly I was getting a bit confused between the MMI features and the MyAudi features. It turns out my confusion was due to the fact that I need the dealer to reset both systems so that I can be the “Key User.” To do that, I need the vehicle key number, which appears lost. A new one is $69 and is on its way from Germany to a local Audi dealership. I’ll take the car in when it arrives and they’ll reset everything.

Even my MyAudi account, which I set up with the VIN, shows the prior owner as the “Key User.”

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide these insights. Very helpful!
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Voelker (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

You don't need to purchase the new 10-digit vehicle code just to get the previous owners information removed. And unless you want to pay a ridiculous rate for a few connectivity features on your car/phone ($199/6 months was mentioned above) you don't need it at all.

I was in the exact some position about a year ago. After investigating non-dealer ways to get a new key, I realized they all had warnings, drawbacks, etc., etc.

I got a new key from the dealer, which required me to visit in person with title and ID to confirm they were getting a key for the car's owner. No, it's not chearp. When it arrived in a few weeks, they needed it for an hour to code everything, delete the previous owner's info, etc., etc. I waited until my for oil service was due and had it all done at once. I think key plus programming was around $350. The service tech at the dealership agreed that the 10-digit code would also need to be ordered - $100? - to get access to some services that he didn't think were worthwhile.

You can go to audiusa's owner area and get a code that the dealer uses to get some of the free services to work through the Audi iPhone app. They're pretty minimal and I haven't used it in many months. I brought it in when I went for service bu they said I could do it over the phone, even though the web site says it must be in person.

EDIT: looks like you already paid for the 10-digit code. It wasn't really needed.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the additional info. The main reason for buying the code (at least I thought) was to make sure the MyAudi phone app would work.

Your post provides a ton of valuable info. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if you need a paid subscription for the My Audi app features?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by A4TUNAT1
Does anyone know if you need a paid subscription for the My Audi app features?
I don't believe so, unless you're somehow able to use the audi connect services through the app. I've never taken the time to "get verified" since people seem to just complain about the app
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use the myAudi app without an active subscription. You can view vehicle status, parking location and remotely lock/unlock the car. In the latest update they have added Siri shortcuts to do the above as well as 3D touch/long press on the app icon.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Nettleingham (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: New To Me 2017 A4 - Tech Questions