A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Oil Change Notification @2.5k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Notification @2.5k miles

Hi,

I recently purchased (01/17/2018) a 2018 Audi A4 and have a little over 2.5k miles on it. Yesterday I started seeing a notification when I start the car that said "oil change is due in 29 days". I checked with the dealer and he said that the scheduled maintenance is at 5k miles or 1 year. Whom should I listen to, my car or the dealership? Is this normal? This is my first car, so, I don't really know how long the oil lasts after a change.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

The first service is at 10,000 miles or one year. This is in your manual. The fact that the car says an oil change is due in 25 days means that one year from the “in service” date is up. The dealer should have reset this reminder when you bought the car. Also note that the first oil change service is free.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The first service is at 10,000 miles or one year. This is in your manual. The fact that the car says an oil change is due in 25 days means that one year from the “in service” date is up. The dealer should have reset this reminder when you bought the car. Also note that the first oil change service is free.
Got it. Thanks. So, it seems like this is just a BOZO on the dealer's part. I'll call them up and check if I can reset the notification myself.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:26 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by newbeitoanaudi
Got it. Thanks. So, it seems like this is just a BOZO on the dealer's part. I'll call them up and check if I can reset the notification myself.
I think you can reset it in the MMI, but that would lead to inaccuracy too because it would then be a year/10000 miles from the day you reset it, not from the proper day... so you'd have to track it manually.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing happened with my car. With ODBeleven, I was able to reset the first oil change that is due after 12 months and the first service that is due after 24 months exactly to the day to 1 and 2 years after I took delivery of the car. This way the remaining service notifications for the ownership of the car won’t be screwed up...
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So what is the consensus about oil deterioration with time? Is it that the engine is used so little until delivery so that, say, 6 months at the dealer doesn't count in the planned oil service period of max 12 months, or is it included in the delivery preparation to change oil?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

There's no way there is an issue with the oil in such a new car. There's no oil change at dealer prep. The port prep people would top off, if necessary. Hopefully checking oil level at dealer's PDI would be done, but who knows?

I think OP needs to come to an understanding with the dealership as to what needs to be done (now) to maintain warranty, etc.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by audi8k
So what is the consensus about oil deterioration with time? Is it that the engine is used so little until delivery so that, say, 6 months at the dealer doesn't count in the planned oil service period of max 12 months, or is it included in the delivery preparation to change oil?
They definitely don't change the oil before delivery. I think it's primarily just that the engine doesn't get used that much. Also, I think there is a wide margin of error in these recommendations. It's not like your engine will blow up if you are 2 weeks or 500 miles late for an oil change... so maybe you dip into a bit of that margin if your car sat on the lot for 6-9 months before delivery.

I believe Audi used to have the first oil change at mid-intervals, i.e. first oil change at 8000kms, then the next one at 23000, etc, which would have compensated for this issue.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same notification come up at 6500 miles. Oil level was at max. I took it to the dealership and they reset it. They asked me to bring it in when either one year has passed or at 10k miles and that the computer may not notify me before since they reset it.

The service manager assured me that the oil will last 10k miles and there is no in between changes necessary regardless of driving severity (heavy traffic).

Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CDang
The service manager assured me that the oil will last 10k miles and there is no in between changes necessary regardless of driving severity (heavy traffic).
That and a class action lawsuit will get you a cup of coffee the next time VAG fails to properly size an oil sump. It’s probably fine this time around, but I’m still changing mine early under severe conditions use.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ement-2790828/

Quick Reply: Oil Change Notification @2.5k miles