A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Possible software bug, can you repeat it ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible software bug, can you repeat it ?

I have prestige with DA. I am driving down the highway, have ACC set, lane assist, etc.. all on. The car is tracking another car in front of me adjusting speed. I have my iPhone 6 connected via Bluetooth, playing music. I use the Virtual cockpit and steering wheel controls to change the song, it plays a different song than I picked, so I try again and again, same results. Except the last try, it freezes. Then everything goes dark, the virtual cockpit, HUD, the secondary screen. THe system comes back, but not a clean reboot. ACC is no longer set, lane assist is off (not my default), and I have a warning message about traffic jam not being available. Once I got to work, I turned the car off, then on again. No more warning about traffic jam.

A few days later driving around, I decided to see if I can cause the problem to repeat itself. Sure enough I was able to make it crash again, trying to select music on my phone through the virtual cockpit. Note if I try the same thing using the secondary screen and MMI controller, I can't replicate it. If I use the virtual cockpit to change radio stations, no problems. Just seems to be when accessing phone's music through the virtual cockpit. Now I think its possible that's something wrong with the playlist, but I can't imagine the playlist is actually causing the system within the car to crash.

Anybody else seen this kind of behavior ?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I noticed no one answered, so I'm assuming no one else had the same issue. I play music through my iPod, and I haven't had any issues.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update

I have not been able to repeat the problem for 3rd time so far. I did take the car to the dealer this morning though. They confirmed the issue with faults recorded in the car.

They said there are some known issues with iOS 10x devices and the car's software. There are no software updates available yet and my car has the latest software already. They encouraged me to connect the phone via the wire vs playing music through Bluetooth if I want to avoid the problem occurring again until a software update is available.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine crashed today ... no
virtual cockpit, restarted on its own .. I had iPhone plugged in.. carplay was connected but I wasn't touching any controls.. just cruising .. what should I do?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would swing by your dealer, maybe there is software update by now; they will be able to see the fault in the system, so while they may act like you are crazy at first, the evidence of the event will be visible to them. I have had the problem a couple of times, but its always when selecting songs from the phone connected wireless.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisGlenAllen
I would swing by your dealer, maybe there is software update by now; they will be able to see the fault in the system, so while they may act like you are crazy at first, the evidence of the event will be visible to them. I have had the problem a couple of times, but its always when selecting songs from the phone connected wireless.
thanks! will see if it happens again first, need to bring it in eventually for speaker paddings!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my car in for service last week. Talked to them about the same problems with an IPhone 7. They could not find anything wrong. They contacted Audi, who,said it is not an uncommon complaint, that Audi works fine (?), it is issues with the phone.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

US dealers don't have a TSB for a VC or MMI software update yet. The only option is to complain to Audi directly and hope that they will release a TSB for both in the near future that solves the issues that some of us are seeing.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Damn. I’m so glad I’m not the only one with this issue! I knew it had something to do with my wife’s iPhone. Copied from another thread I posted in. I wonder if any of u followed u with the dealer for a software update? Happened thrice to me already.

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
My MMI has never gotten stuck/froze. But I’ve had another issue and I’m not sure if anybody else had it.

A few thousand miles/couple of months ago, I was driving down the highway when suddenly the speedometer and stuff on my VC disappeared and the entire VC had the map (navigation) on it (It was set to normal view where the speedo and tacho was full sized and it was on the first general info tab; during the crash everything on the VC disappeared except for the map which looked like it was “beneath” the screen which showed the tacho, speedo and other details. I’m not a techy person so I don’t know the exact term. Underlay?). After a second or two the entire VC went blank. All the backlights on the center console went off too I think. And then a few seconds later the red door lights lit up, the VC started coming back on slowly (the tacho and speedo appeared but no needles or numbers, just the rings. Also all the dashboard warning lights were on). The warning lights disappeared and everything went back to normal as though nothing happened. The MMI screen was working normal and music was playing from my wife’s iPhone without any interruption. I pulled over and scanned using obd and found a lot of errors saying a lot of modules had crashed or something of that sort (lemme check if I have screenshots of the errors). I cleared the errors since everything appeared fine. Car drove normally during this “reset”. I thought it was a weird glitch but didn’t think too much of it and hoped that was the first and last time it happened.

A few days back the exact same thing happened again. The entire shutdown-restart took around 10 seconds. This time I didn’t scan the car. I’m sure the errors are still present. I just haven’t found time to take it to the dealer yet.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?
So this thing happened for the third time today. Like maybe 100 miles of driving after the previous incidence. Now it is beginning to worry me slightly. Does anybody have any idea why this could be happening?