A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Pre-sense malfunction indicator

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pre-sense malfunction indicator

Hello - Recently I made the mistake of installing a tow hook license plate frame on my 2017 A4 PP. I didn't like it, so I removed it and found a cheapy front center frame.

However, ever since putting the tow hook on, I've been getting the 'Audi pre-sense malfunction - please contact service' pop-up on my dash screen - even after removing the tow hook plate and only having the front center plate.

I assume that pre-sense is triggered by all the small circular sensors around the bumper line of the car. Is there any way for me to reset this myself? I assume not, but just checking. Can it be done by anyone with an OBD device? It doesn't appear to be going away - I've been driving the car for over a week without the tow plate and it still goes off. Will it do any damage, other than being an annoying beep that comes up?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I don’t think presense uses the PDC sensors on the bumper. It uses the camera mounted behind the inner rear view mirror. If the windshield portion outside the camera is dirty, the “presense not available” message pops up. Same if there’s very bright sunlight hitting the camera (like when you come out of a dark tunnel into daylight). Is there any error when you scan with OBD11?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I don’t think presense uses the PDC sensors on the bumper. It uses the camera mounted behind the inner rear view mirror. If the windshield portion outside the camera is dirty, the “presense not available” message pops up. Same if there’s very bright sunlight hitting the camera (like when you come out of a dark tunnel into daylight). Is there any error when you scan with OBD11?
Thanks. I don't have my own OBD, but a guy I know at my local monro does it for me whenever I get those service messages so I can take it to him if i need to. I cleaned the windshield by the camera just in case and it still is going off. Plus I figured that would be a pretty big coincidence if that started happening right when I installed the tow hook. It doesn't say "not available", it says "audi pre-sense malfunction - please contact service".
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I have also some issue with audi pre-sense malfunction - please contact service - (B11CE15 Windshield heater for front sensor system - Open circuit/short circuit to B+).... the issue is that everything seems to be working fine, but after some time the error is triggered and lane assist + traffic jam says not available and then audi pre-sense malfunction - please contact service...then again after some time it will recover itself, but traffic-jam stays not available...after "restarting" car everything works fine until that error is triggered...sometimes after 1h sometimes 10mins...that happens to be there since it started freezing outside and sensor is being heated itself...but some sensor stops working I guess..is there any DIY fix for that? new used camera (I mean whole assembly) cost around 100$ (part number 8W0907217B) ..do u think it needs to be calibrated after?

B11CE15 - Windshield heater for front sensor system - Open circuit/short circuit to B+

Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pre-sense rear does use the rear bumper sensors https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...ver-assistance
Just one other thing, the rear sensors should be turned off when towing, otherwise they'd be going off all the time. This I believe is part of the trailer wiring system telling the car there's a trailer connected. But I wonder if there is a manual override within the MMI settings...

Last edited by cuke2u; 12-12-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did you fix Audi a4 fault B11CE15 ?

Did you fix that error B11CE15 windsheald sensor heating? You wrote that you replaced camera does it helps to fix problem ?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Doesn't really replace sensor, since it needs to be calibrated then...aaand too much $$$ for calibration I guess (or some DIY solution)...so I have found (with OBD11) that in module A5 (Front Sensors Driver Assistance System) -> Long coding -> Windshild_heater - coded -> changed to Not_coded...and since then, no error (obviously because some condition will check if there is heater present ) but, yes this can lead to some issues with camera...fogging, etc...but didn't really experienced anything so far (3weeks in ~ -7*C)
The following users liked this post:
JonAudi5 (04-27-2024)
Old 02-04-2020, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default did you fix Audi a4 fault B11CE15 ?

So apart recoding and disabling sensor heating do you know is it in same sensor sitting that heater or on windsheald? Or some module failing to heat it. As my one now what I notice then is over +11C it's working when just lower 10C it's starts show faulty Audi pre sence. As in this case if heating disabled it should pop always error.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

1) From what I saw on some websites, that heating part should be just some heating tape between windshield and sensor...BUT..replacing that part should be not that easy + some adaptation needs to be done after...
2) my assumption is that there are some markets where heating part is not even needed (california maybe?, etc,..), so if that module is not coded, there is not even check performed (which leads in our case to disabling pre-sense, lane assist, etc..)..but that is just some hypothesis, but as is works as expected now...had also malfunction errors before, now nothing...pre-sense, lane assist, traffic jam assist works nicely now
3) coded temp to start heating is around 5*C

maybe there will be some issues in -15*C, will inform later..
Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default pre sence

so with which diagnostic tool you decode that camera pre sence heating ? becasue I cant find on VCDS or maybe looking not in right place

Quick Reply: Pre-sense malfunction indicator