A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

PT: Audi A4 - Kick noise when gear switches from 3rd to 2nd.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PT: Audi A4 - Kick noise when gear switches from 3rd to 2nd.

Hello.

I’m the owner of Audi A4 Design 40 TFSI , Year of manufacture: 2019, the car holds 15,000 KM.

Recently, when I slow down quickly, I hear and feel like a small kick from behind, it only happens when the gear switches from 3rd to 2nd.

When I slow down gradually, I don’t feel this symptom. Other than that, the car operates smoothly.

The car is serviced on time in a certified Audi center, They examined the car in a test drive & scanned all systems by a computer, They say they found no problem, They also looked for similar complaints from the manufacturer and did not find any, They also say there are no engine/gear software updates for this model.

Wanted to know if this is a known problem ? Is this how Audi gear is designed to perform when the car slows down quickly ? Are you aware of any engine/gear software updates that may better tune my car ? How do you suggest I should continue further ?

I would greatly appreciate your opinion and advices on the subject,

Thanks Korso.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got paged out, so I checked mine on the drive back. It seems normal to have a shudder, if you manually shift it from 3rd into second. Are you just feeling a vibration? Normally I don't mess with the tiptronic, unless I am setting up to pass someone. So in auto mode, I don't really feel anything.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Korso
Hello.

I’m the owner of Audi A4 Design 40 TFSI , Year of manufacture: 2019, the car holds 15,000 KM.

Recently, when I slow down quickly, I hear and feel like a small kick from behind, it only happens when the gear switches from 3rd to 2nd.

When I slow down gradually, I don’t feel this symptom. Other than that, the car operates smoothly.

The car is serviced on time in a certified Audi center, They examined the car in a test drive & scanned all systems by a computer, They say they found no problem, They also looked for similar complaints from the manufacturer and did not find any, They also say there are no engine/gear software updates for this model.

Wanted to know if this is a known problem ? Is this how Audi gear is designed to perform when the car slows down quickly ? Are you aware of any engine/gear software updates that may better tune my car ? How do you suggest I should continue further ?

I would greatly appreciate your opinion and advices on the subject,

Thanks Korso.
This thread is probably closed. I have similar problem.
2011 A4 Quattro. Tiptronic 8 speed. Reason for reviving this thread is that I cannot find any information on a problem.

Got the car 4 month ago in February 2024. Initials inspection revealed transmission cooling line leak. I paid no attention as other problems were more urgent. Shifting was so smooth and fine. AS the weather got hotter here in Toronto, Transmission started to show issues in overall shifting, including very prominent down shift from third to second gear. Another symptom was when in cruising speed around 65, 70 km/h the car felt like hesitant to choose a great shifting back and forth every two seconds. No jolts.
Coming to stop is another story. From third to second gear getting a jolt.
Following the advice, replaced transmission fluid. Just drain and refill. The car became very smooth...even the engine vibrated less. All was good in the morning. Coming from work at plus 32 outside temperature, after half an hour drive with stop and go, slowing down broght back the problem. Question, could transmission cooling leak be a problem?

OP, have you fix your problem?