A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

From Radio to CarPlay- What is the easiest way?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Radio to CarPlay- What is the easiest way?

When I am connected to CarPlay I sometimes play the radio while using Maps in CarPlay. What is the easiest way to bring up CarPlay again. I can go to menu, then go to CarPlay ur that seems like a lot of work. Is there a faster way to get back to CarPlay?
Old 01-06-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 118 Posts

A little counterintuitive but - press the Nav/Tel toggle to Tel, you will then get a screen that asks if you want to switch to car play. Press the rotary **** down to select and you are in Car Play
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
A little counterintuitive but - press the Nav/Tel toggle to Tel, you will then get a screen that asks if you want to switch to car play. Press the rotary **** down to select and you are in Car Play
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except this only works on newer software. On my 2017 this doesn't do anything.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Too bad, it is very convenient.

It is unfortunate that there is no do-it-yourself way to update the MMI in the newer cars. In my 2006 and 2008 C6 A6's you could purchase the update CD's from the dealer and do the update yourself. Depending on the number of revisions between the old and new sometimes you needed to update to an intermediate version first, and you had to have the car on a battery tender so the power management function did not shut things down in the middle of the update with the potential to brick your MMI. I can see that Audi does not want customer's complaining they bricked their system but I do not see why, with the current technology, they cannot develop an over-the-air safe update. This is the way the world is going, Apple and Android do it for phones, my Garmin cycling GPS updates and adds features, hell even appliances can self update. I think that this makes the product more attractive to the customers.

They could even make it a perk if you are an Audi Connect subscriber, it would make Audi Connect a more attractive option.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I do not see why, with the current technology, they cannot develop an over-the-air safe update. This is the way the world is going, Apple and Android do it for phones, my Garmin cycling GPS updates and adds features, hell even appliances can self update. I think that this makes the product more attractive to the customers....
Wireless updates would be convenient, but they would also open up the cars to hackers and malware. I'm not saying Audi would be negligent if they chose to set this up as an option, but if they got it wrong, the downsides could be serious. For example: https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/black...xplained/9493/
Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by avignon
Wireless updates would be convenient, but they would also open up the cars to hackers and malware. I'm not saying Audi would be negligent if they chose to set this up as an option, but if they got it wrong, the downsides could be serious. For example: https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/black...xplained/9493/
Microsoft and Apple seem to have figured out how to keep their over the air updates secure for computers and phones so the technology exists. I realize that Audi is not a computer company but they are getting closer with all of the tech in the cars. Another option would be to offer upgrades the same way the map database is updated, we download the maps onto and SD card and plug it into the MMI. At this time I feel very fortunate with the version of MMI software I have from mid 2017, Based on what I read on the forums it appears to have fewer bugs and CarPlay apparently works better than the earlier versions. If the hardware has not change I think that everyone should be allowed to update their firmware.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sperhacs
When I am connected to CarPlay I sometimes play the radio while using Maps in CarPlay. What is the easiest way to bring up CarPlay again. I can go to menu, then go to CarPlay ur that seems like a lot of work. Is there a faster way to get back to CarPlay?
Another quick option is to long press "voice command" button.

Short -> NAVI
Long -> Android auto/Car play

Regards,

Pato