Really disappointed in the MMI / CarPlay on my 2018 A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator6
Bad information is worse than no information
Backing up chemengin's claim.
No, I don't have source for you. I am looking at a lengthy service record from Oct 2017. I complained to the dealer about the resolution especially under low light condition where the image looks have scrolling lines and fading. To the dealer's credit, they did extensive work trying to find the cause even have the Audi Technical Assistance Center involved with TFM name printed on the sheet. After examining lots electrical wires, test disconnected drive belt and blower motor for possible alternator interference, swapping in a brand new 5F module, replaced rear Camera with a new one, finally determined by TAC that the cause is because the P and PP trims only have one rear camera and the single image is stretched to full screen thus causing the crappy looking resolution. The Prestige trim has Top and Side cameras and the MMI screen is divided for more than one image (three?) when backing (True?) thus has better quality. Basically, I got the car back with same crappy back up resolution after the it was in the dealer for more than three weeks.
The following users liked this post:
chemengin (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmm.. the deck lid release with camera seems to be different, don't know if it's a connectivity difference or a different camera with different angle. Maybe someone who removed the camera can post more information

with front camera (Prestige):
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...565827566.html

without front camera (Premium Plus):
3V0827566L
https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...V0827566L.html

Diagram (see #15):
https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_201...321850.html#15

There are 4 cameras for surround view (360 cameras) package (included in Prestige):
front, rear, mirror left, mirror right
https://www.kufatec.com/en/audi/a4/a...di-a4-8w-41630

Last edited by Void20; 09-30-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

I think we shall continue to original thread which is dedicated to only this subject:
Backup camera is kinda garbage

We have photos there
Old 10-01-2021, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had my PP for over 4 years and I think the MMI has crashed on me twice. Shutting off the car rebooted it fine.

I have used the drawing dial a few times but have found it easier to use the voice input.

I never really plug my phone is (android) so I can't help you there. Maybe that's the main cause of the crashes?

I really don't have a problem with my backup cameras image.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't had any problems (yet- knock on wood) with the MMI or backup cameras on my 2017 A4. I have used/continue to use both Android Auto and Apple carplay.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I've had my '17 A4 for over 5 years and really have no complaints re: the MMI. I would much prefer it to the new touchscreen in the B9.5. My only minor gripe is that when I plug in my IPhone the screen defaults to Apple Carplay but I can quickly revert back to the Audi screen by hitting one of the buttons by the shifter. It is great to use Apple Carplay for nav and still pull up music in the Virtual Cockpit. I rarely use the writing capability because I use Google Maps. No complaints here.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:13 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've had my '17 A4 for over 5 years and really have no complaints re: the MMI. I would much prefer it to the new touchscreen in the B9.5.
You are wise... the touch screen nav in the 2020 is worse in a lot of subtle ways. As is the virtual cockpit. They also got rid of the CD player and SD card slots in the glovebox. I guess that's how they're paying their diesel fines...

There are lots of nice little things about the 2020, like the phone box, the fact that it doesn't do the 40km/h brake vibration etc, etc. But the infotainment stuff isn't on that list...
Old 10-02-2021, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sesser
I have a MY18 P+ and I have noted a couple of times where CarPlay would quit and jump back to MMI. If I was playing music, it would stop. I had to reselect CarPlay in the MMI for it to work. It happened several times using the Audi supplied, coiled lightening cable. I switch to an Apple USB to lightening cable and it happened a couple more times. After switching to some off-brand Amazon 10pk of USB to lightening cables that cost $8, it hasn't happened since. So cable selection appears to be important to maintain a good connection to the MMI.
I also experienced the same issue when I purchased a used 2018 A4 a month ago. I swapped my cheap Amazon lightning cable with a certified cable from Best Buy and haven't had an issue with intermittent/flaky connections and drop outs since then.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
You are wise... the touch screen nav in the 2020 is worse in a lot of subtle ways. As is the virtual cockpit. They also got rid of the CD player and SD card slots in the glovebox. I guess that's how they're paying their diesel fines...

There are lots of nice little things about the 2020, like the phone box, the fact that it doesn't do the 40km/h brake vibration etc, etc. But the infotainment stuff isn't on that list...
I'd have to agree, I greatly prefer the '17-19 "****" MMI vs. the '20+ touch screen MMI based on my limited amount of time spent in B9.5 loaners. I really wish they would have at least kept the ****/physical buttons in addition to adding the touch screen, similar to some of the BMW iDrive systems (2019+ 330i for example). The only times I've wished I had a touch screen on my 2017 is for panning or zooming in/out on the map while using CarPlay navigation – a very difficult task with the rotary dial.

One thing in particular that irritated me on the 2020 A4 MMI was that it locked out certain menus while moving (probably due to safety regulations on touchscreen infotainments). I recall trying to adjust the sound settings while moving and the menu was disabled. I understand why they do it, but there have been many times in my 2017 A4 where I've tweaked the B&O sound settings while driving (as safely as possible/when conditions permit) as it can be hard to get it dialed in just right while parked since engine/road noise can greatly impact the sound.

Out of curiosity, what is the 40km/h brake vibration? Are you referring to the brake pedal clicking during the ABS check?

Last edited by mc-io; 10-05-2021 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

My **** is like a touch pad. It zooms/pans nicely from what I remember, but I hardly ever (really never) use that. Good to know it's there though as I too dislike touch screens for many reasons.

Quick Reply: Really disappointed in the MMI / CarPlay on my 2018 A4