A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

rear plate braket broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Yep, poor design from Audi on this bracket. Dealer replaced mine on my A6 under warranty or maybe it was just a good faith gesture. My A4 had one of the metal nuts come loose & I did a repair on it. The metal nuts will twist in the plastic if over torqued, making difficult, if not impossible to start the bolt. I saw this ebay item on another post & I plan on buying one of these if I have any more issues with the OEM plate bracket.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/License-Pla...53.m1438.l2649
Old 10-04-2020, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

No goodwill on this end. Nor does Audi Care actually care as they pretend to. The cost to replace the part isn't an issue, I am about principle which they don't get.

Cheap weak plastic material that isn't strong enough to hold the anchor in place is the real issue and while you try to remove the screw, spinning just bores out a larger hole. One other thing to those of you who encounter this and I'm sure many of you will is to not push at all while trying to remove the screw as there is nothing protecting the paint underneath except the small piece of double sided tape. You will risk chipping off the paint down to the metal. I found it easiest to remove the screws by using a small plastic pry tool under the screw to give it a little bit of pressure to stop the anchor spinning while I backed out the screw.

The universal bracket I was trying to buy is essentially the same as the one you referred to. My glue fix has so far been great and should hold for as long as I decide to keep this car and beyond. In any case it will certainly outlive the cheap plastic the bracket is made of.

Cheers,