A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Red LED on the door of the drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red LED on the door of the drivers side

Hey guys,

Is there anybody who can tell me the function of the red LED on the door on the drivers side (close to the mirror)?
It starts blinking when I lock the door. So at first I thought it was the alarm. But now I found out there is no alarm installed in my car... So why the LED?

And the fact that I don't have an alarm is probably also the reason why I cannot make my car beep (once or twice) when locking or unlocking the car, because that feature simply uses the horn of the alarm.

So, again, what purpose does this LED have?

Thx,
JST
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 AM
APR Stage 1 B9.5 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you open your door, if there is a car coming it will blink red... https://youtu.be/aVyox-NU-Oo
Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris 'Kontender' Jackson
when you open your door, if there is a car coming it will blink red... https://youtu.be/aVyox-NU-Oo
No no, that's not it...
When the car is unlocked, the LED is off, and when the car is locked, the LED is flashing once a second approx. Just like on an alarm. But I don't have an alarm. And I noticed on other A4's at the office that they all have this LED. And nobody can tell me what it means...
Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Red LED in door Drivers side. What's it doing?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

I thought that's alarm indicator. Your car is just premium and don't even have Convenience package?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm....I don't think I have an alarm, because I don't have the button to switch on/off on the inside of the door (near the reflector).
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jee-esteke
Hey guys,
Is there anybody who can tell me the function of the red LED on the door on the drivers side (close to the mirror)?
It starts blinking when I lock the door. So at first I thought it was the alarm. But now I found out there is no alarm installed in my car... So why the LED?
And the fact that I don't have an alarm is probably also the reason why I cannot make my car beep (once or twice) when locking or unlocking the car, because that feature simply uses the horn of the alarm.
So, again, what purpose does this LED have?
Thx, JST
The tiny, round red LED on the top of your door is to let you know that your doors are locked and your alarm is set.

Look on your remote key ... do you have a thin, red button underneath the trunk release button? If so, you do have an alarm. The red button is your panic button. Press it, and your alarm will sound and your exterior lights will flash. It's not a very loud alarm -- more like a beeping -- but I just set it off inside my garage and it hurt my ears. Outside, not so much.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
The tiny, round red LED on the top of your door is to let you know that your doors are locked and your alarm is set.

Look on your remote key ... do you have a thin, red button underneath the trunk release button? If so, you do have an alarm.
Again I have to disappoint you....nothing like that...

Key A4
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What if I'm wrong....let's say I do have an alarm... How can I activate it?
Apparently not with a "panic button" on my remote. Any other way? Is there a motion detector inside? I've tried locking the doors with an open window, and then acting like an idiot through that window, but nothing happened.
So, any ideas?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

jee-esteke, where you located? For US models, Convenience package will have the alarm. Premium + and Prestiges trims both have it for sure while Premium trim need the package to have it.

Quick Reply: Red LED on the door of the drivers side