A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Hi Guys, I recently bought an Audi Q7 in Australia.. when I ordered it I wasn't aware of the ambient lighting package and now I'm regretting it a lot after seeing it.

When I exit or lock the car there is this red LED light which comes up on the doors but it goes away in few seconds. So my question is that is it possible to keep this red led lights on the doors on permanently or any other way to get the ambience package installed?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pash81
Hi Guys, I recently bought an Audi Q7 in Australia.. when I ordered it I wasn't aware of the ambient lighting package and now I'm regretting it a lot after seeing it.

When I exit or lock the car there is this red LED light which comes up on the doors but it goes away in few seconds. So my question is that is it possible to keep this red led lights on the doors on permanently or any other way to get the ambience package installed?
Not possible. I believe someone here tried doing it but apparently the that red LED is a high output and is only meant to be on for short periods or else it will overheat. Someone did a retrofit and added coloured LED but it didn't look easy to do lol
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 734 Likes on 511 Posts

In the UK there are 3 LED options. On the SE the locations are limited. But on the Sport and the S Line all locations get the LEDs but fixed to a single colour. The Extended LED option allows for the colours to be changed. Does anyone know if on the Sport and S Line are the RGB LEDs installed but fixed to a single colour via coding or are the LED themselves a single colour unit?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by comraab
Hi
I love your mod. As an electronics/software/techie person, I wonder whether we could look into the data signals required for this and mock them up? I have used multicolour RGB LED strips before, but never put much thought to the control harness. I imagine there would be a power circuit and then additional lines to specify hue and flash. Would that account for the 4 wires in the Audi module? If so, wouldnt the info coming from the MMI be similar to the modules you buy commercially? Anyway, food for thought.

Thanks
Robyn
Actually looking at the picture of the circuit board that drives the RGB LED, it is clear that the LEDs are driven using a Melexis chip, which communicates via the LIN BUS. So it's not like the traditional RGB LED drivers you can buy. So the info coming from the MMI is put on the LIN BUS, which in turn is read by the MLX81108 chip and then it in turn controls the RGB LED itself. So unless you know the exact LIN BUS message it's going to be very hard to get the existing modules to light up. I have now specced my car with the Extended interior LED package. So when my car arrives, I could do some BUS sniffing and try and work out the messages sent to the modules.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have wanted to retrofit this ambient light option since i collected my Q7 last year. The chinese site taobao is selling the retrofit kit for Q7 and A4. And the parts only have led modules, conductors, led lights, and the wiring. No extra module was mentioned.

I guess for this to work, we need to find the wiring diagram for the led modules. And then purchase the necessary wiring or maybe modules and find the correct codes.

Anyone has the wiring diagram to share? If not, then i need to purchase it. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have a direct link to this LED kit on that site. I want to see what they are selling.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can check out this link https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...u=t2dmg8j26111

Dont think need to buy the vents and the centre console as we can just buy the led conductors and modules will do.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there any new info on this topic? Has anyone successfully or even attempted to upgrade to full RGB LEDs?

I would love to have this feature but I'm in a P+ so from reading these threads it sounds like a huge headache.

I guess if I couldn't change the colors thru the MMI I would be okay with just replacing the white LED with a colored LED.

Anyone replace all the white LEDs with colored?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
Is there any new info on this topic? Has anyone successfully or even attempted to upgrade to full RGB LEDs?

I would love to have this feature but I'm in a P+ so from reading these threads it sounds like a huge headache.

I guess if I couldn't change the colors thru the MMI I would be okay with just replacing the white LED with a colored LED.

Anyone replace all the white LEDs with colored?
Is possible but just that you need to change many parts as stated in taobao. You will need to change the center air vent, side air vent, center console panel, plus replace all the led modules. If u want, you can buy from taobao because they include everything and include wiring as well, no need to second guess

I have dropped the idea because too many parts need to be replaced. Good luck to you.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sbc55
You can check out this link https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...u=t2dmg8j26111

Dont think need to buy the vents and the centre console as we can just buy the led conductors and modules will do.
I’ve been looking at buying an A5 but it doesn’t have the Extended package which is a must have for me. Has anyone tried this package from taobao? I know it says it’s for an A4 but will it fit the A5?
Thanks
steve

Quick Reply: Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)