A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Reupholstering A9 b4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reupholstering A9 b4

Hello,

I recently bought a 2018 A4 Premium Plus Moonlight Blue with Rock Grey interior. This is my first luxury car coming from a Honda which also had a grey interior but gray exterior. I realize I should have got the car with a darker interior. The rock grey leather interior just shows more dirt easily and doesn't look right with the dark exterior. Does anyone know if the Audi dealership offers any reupholstering services? Or this is something you have to find a after market shop that specializes in this? Is it possible to change the car interior color and add things like sports seats?? I would think if they were to change the interior then they would need to change the dash and door panels? What would be the cost of something like this? Am i better off just getting a premium seat cover? Does A4 offer anything like that?

Last edited by Abhik Banerjee; 12-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Reupholstering a car in Audi-quality leather is prohibitively expensive. Your best option is probably trading it in for a car with the options you want.

Your second best option is probably buying something used off a wrecked car. Here is an example of a complete interior upholstery set for $2100 (https://www.ebay.com/i/322900187057?chn=ps). You will then have to pay someone to switch all these parts out which I suspect will be a full day or so of labor, and then pay them again to dispose of the old parts (or store them in an attempt to sell those on eBay or something).

Regarding the change from standard to sport seats, there will almost certainly be some coding involved to program the vehicle to accept a different type of seat than that which it came with, so that all the seat adjustment buttons work properly and the car doesn't throw codes, and there may be some harness changes as well. I can't answer those questions.

Again, your best option is probably to trade it in.

Seat covers, IMO, are certainly an option for a temporary flavor change but will never look as clean or feel as comfortable as OEM.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Or look online for an A4 with the interior you want that was wrecked. You could probably buy the full set - door cards, seats, console cover for ~$2000 give or take
Old 12-02-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Reupholstering a car in Audi-quality leather is prohibitively expensive. Your best option is probably trading it in for a car with the options you want.

Your second best option is probably buying something used off a wrecked car. Here is an example of a complete interior upholstery set for $2100 (https://www.ebay.com/i/322900187057?chn=ps). You will then have to pay someone to switch all these parts out which I suspect will be a full day or so of labor, and then pay them again to dispose of the old parts (or store them in an attempt to sell those on eBay or something).

Regarding the change from standard to sport seats, there will almost certainly be some coding involved to program the vehicle to accept a different type of seat than that which it came with, so that all the seat adjustment buttons work properly and the car doesn't throw codes, and there may be some harness changes as well. I can't answer those questions.

Again, your best option is probably to trade it in.

Seat covers, IMO, are certainly an option for a temporary flavor change but will never look as clean or feel as comfortable as OEM.
Thanks. What kind of shop would be willing to do that work? Any body shop or specific type of shop? It would probably cost a additional 1k for labor?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got couple of seat covers to protect against the rubbing that happens when getting in and out.

I clean the seats using Audi leather cleaner and conditioner which are excellent.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Abhik Banerjee
Thanks. What kind of shop would be willing to do that work? Any body shop or specific type of shop? It would probably cost a additional 1k for labor?
No idea, you'd have to call around and request a quote.

Personally I'd just trade it in and get a new car built the way you want. Might be a bit more expensive after all is said and done to do that, but it sure sounds like a lot of work to order seats of unknown condition site-unseen off of eBay, wait for them to be shipped freight at what expense, all while hoping they are in good condition with no pieces broken/missing/damaged/scuffed/damaged in transit, renting a U-haul to transport everything to a willing shop (because they are likely not going to sign for and store your eBay shipment until your service appointment), which means waiting a week or more with the seats in your garage for a shop to have an opening that lines up with a time you don't need the vehicle for a couple days so they can work on it, and then finally hoping to god that they don't screw anything up to where you are left with a creaky seat or a funky shop grease smell or a leather tear or a greasy shoe scuff on your otherwise perfect door panels or some other issue that might occur in the process of conducting this work.

But if you still insist on going through the trouble and carrying all these risks, surely there is someone out there who will do whatever you ask for $145/hr or whatever shop labor rate.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can order the seat covers. I'd estimate about $1200 per seat
Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

There are tons of interior shops that do exactly this work

Old 12-02-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I was like 0_0 when i saw this question. Was so curious to see what people say. I knew nothing on this topic. Now... I kinda do haha. Happy Sunday y'all.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that nobody brought up is that the side airbags are mounted in the seats. I would imagine that adds a layer of complexity to the situation.

Quick Reply: Reupholstering A9 b4