A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Safety Systems Malfunction Light (Why?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Systems Malfunction Light (Why?)

Not sure what the etiquette is for first post, but; Hi all, I'm new.
I've just bought a 2017 A4 w/ season of audi package and convenience package about 2 weeks ago and I've driven the beauty for less than 200 miles.
Today, as I was leaving the mall, I dropped the parking pass in the gap between the seat and center console on the passenger side.
In order to get the pass, I had to move the passenger seat back to be able to reach it and forward into its original position. I'm not sure what happened, but after I hopped back in the driver seat and started up, the airbag system light was on and VC said there was a safety system malfunction.
Any other owners here experience this issue? I'm going to take it to my dealer to have it checked out, but I also wanna know what caused the light to turn on.
Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your A4. Definitely a weird situation but it sounds like the parking pass might have dislodged a connection or something when you were fishing for it. Best to have the dealer check it out and report back what was found.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A4 safety system mulfunction

Same here, 2017 Audi A4 season of audi with 800 Mike's, the system safety mulfunction light came on ( the airbag​ light) it says to check the owners manual. I did not move the seats or dig for stuff around them, it just came in. What's going on?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Any SRS malfunction is pure speculation until the code is pulled to indicate what the system saw as abnormal or a failure. Head to the dealer and let them diagnose. It's a warranty item so it's free....don't stress about it. Just get it looked at to ensure the system is operating properly.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got it fixed.
According to the service department, there was a malfunction with the seat pod. They just recalibrated the pod and the light came off. Still not too sure as to what happened, but it's been fixed, and they did a system scan to make sure everything's good (it was).
I wasn't charged for the service and they gave my baby a wash while they were at it
Note: There was no issue with how the car ran.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SoySaucePrince
Got it fixed.
According to the service department, there was a malfunction with the seat pod. They just recalibrated the pod and the light came off. Still not too sure as to what happened, but it's been fixed, and they did a system scan to make sure everything's good (it was).
I wasn't charged for the service and they gave my baby a wash while they were at it
Note: There was no issue with how the car ran.
Lol. I wouldn't let them wash my car if I were you

And good to hear they fixed the issue.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same message/light combination at less than 50 miles. May have been delivered that way, but my wife didn't notice it and I drove it the next day and saw it.

They said an airbag module was shorted and it took about a week for the part to come in (no part was available in the US).
Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomasz Zyzdorf
Same here, 2017 Audi A4 season of audi with 800 Mike's, the system safety mulfunction light came on ( the airbag​ light) it says to check the owners manual. I did not move the seats or dig for stuff around them, it just came in. What's going on?
I had the same light and warning come on, but it turned out to be an issue with the presense camera in my situation. When they hooked my car up to run diagnostics it verified the code and issue with the camera, but as they were running the diagnostics the fault cleared. I'm still expecting the light to come back on at some point.

I've also seen weird issues with messages showing up when my phone is sitting on the passenger seat, and I was told they're working on a TSB for that issue.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New warning A4 2017 Safety Malfunction

Just this morning the warning "Safety Malfunction, see owner's manual" popped up while driving and making a turn and then turned off, when I then turned my wheel again to park came up and shut off again. Sounds like some type of bug to me, when I called my local Audi service office, they stated never heard of it. I guess they don't read this blog site.
The following users liked this post:
Spinmaster7 (09-13-2019)
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same thing happened to me

After an year I left the car at the dealership for service. Next day I picked it up and after a few hours the same warning message came up. Took it back to the dealer and was told some problem with the seat belt sensor. They replaced it.

Quick Reply: Safety Systems Malfunction Light (Why?)