A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Swap

My car has been produced. Got a call today from the Audi dealer. I will get in 2 weeks it seems.

I have the basic steering wheel (standard here in Europe) that looks like this:

It has that small star symbol that I'm not sure what can be used for.

I am asking because as I want to swap my current steering wheel with this gem below I found on ebay:

heating option

The only problem (and huge bonus) is that it has a heating option as you can see in the image.

1. Does the car need recoding after upgrading to a heated steering wheel for it to work? Or it's just plug and play it will work after pressing the button?

2. The airbag I assume can be swapped between my current steering wheel and the chrome one. I assume it is the same, right?

3. If the heating button is replacing the spot of the button with a star * , what will I miss without it?

Your help and info is welcome. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to point out the obvious, but what do you think will happen to your insurance if you're in an accident and they figure out that you've done something non-standard related to the airbag? Any dependents you might have could regret your decision.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Sprior. I'm all for making the vehicle your own, but I'm very leery of changing anything connected to safety features.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm guessing he'd just swap the airbag from one wheel to the other.. standard thing to do when swapping wheels...
Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sprior
Hate to point out the obvious, but what do you think will happen to your insurance if you're in an accident and they figure out that you've done something non-standard related to the airbag? Any dependents you might have could regret your decision.

What do you mean by non-standard? I will put my brand new airbag in the chrome steering wheel. They are the same, same size, part number (the whole steering wheels are the same except the chrome part, the other is plastic). I do not get your point...

Let's say you need to change your airbag...what do you do? It's the same thing...
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Proper coding should enable the heating function and disable the "joker" button (used as shortcut to one of the MMI features). Airbag may be different, you will need to confirm the part numbers to be certain. After proper coding the airbag should work just like it did with the old steering wheel.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Proper coding should enable the heating function and disable the "joker" button (used as shortcut to one of the MMI features). Airbag may be different, you will need to confirm the part numbers to be certain. After proper coding the airbag should work just like it did with the old steering wheel.
Thank you for the info.

Coding for the heating button i expected, but do I also need coding for the airbag? Even if the airbag remains exactly the same ( it is the same part number same size same shape, everything)

Long story short: do you need coding for the airbag also?

Thanks again
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't think the airbag ends to be coded but I would still have a dealer follow the proper steps for replacing a steering wheel and/or airbag.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I don't think the airbag ends to be coded but I would still have a dealer follow the proper steps for replacing a steering wheel and/or airbag.
+1, better safe than sorry!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you guys! Owe you a virtual beer...

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Swap