A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Suggestions for Interior Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Interior Cleaning?

Does anyone have product/technique suggestions for interior cleaning of my new A4? (The dog has gotten things pretty dirty!) I'm wondering if there is a good all-around product for wiping down the leather, wood, interior doors, etc. Or should I be using different products for the different materials?

Thanks, Sean
Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I use lexol leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats. Works really well.

For the wood, I'd just use a damp microfiber to wipe it down and then wipe the dampness off using a dry one. Same for the dash and door pads.

If there's a lot of dog hair, you should obviously use a vacuum to get as much off as possible.

I also use one of those swifter things to get rid of the dust on the dash and screens.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Curry
Does anyone have product/technique suggestions for interior cleaning of my new A4? (The dog has gotten things pretty dirty!) I'm wondering if there is a good all-around product for wiping down the leather, wood, interior doors, etc. Or should I be using different products for the different materials?

Thanks, Sean
I haven't used Lexol but seems to get good reviews. Detailing - interior and exterior can lead you down a rabbit hole of very boutique and expensive products if you let it....or simply prefer to. But any good quality interior cleaner will take care of the whole interior, save for the windows and carpets. There was also a discussion of leather in these cars, seems most all the leather is coated with some kind of vinyl coating anyhow. I think the only thing of leather not so treated is the steering wheel - but I could be mistaken. And there really isn't much leather anyhow, the dash, door panels, console cover, headrest, the entire back of the seats are not leather. Having said that, I still apply a leather conditioner to the seats and steering wheel. I think it's a good idea to apply a good UV protectant to the dash and door areas - 303 Aerospace is a popular choice 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303 as the sun can fade interiors and also makes cleaning a little easier.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I like Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner and their Leather Condition. Despite their names, they can be used on leather, vinyl, plastic, etc. (pretty much anything except for glass, wood, and fabrics). The conditioner contains SPF 65, so it is good to use just it's protectant properties and it is not greasy or shiny.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beware of Lexol leather conditioner. I used it on the leather bolsters of the sport seats on my previous car ( Infiniti G35 ). It made the leather buttery soft at first, but then relaxed the leather so much that the bolsters began to fold over. At first I thought it was the best leather conditioner in the world. But the relaxation ruined the seats. It causes leather to stretch out. I used it on a golf glove that was too small for me one time, and the glove actually expanded to twice the size of my hand.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
I haven't used Lexol but seems to get good reviews. Detailing - interior and exterior can lead you down a rabbit hole of very boutique and expensive products if you let it....or simply prefer to. But any good quality interior cleaner will take care of the whole interior, save for the windows and carpets. There was also a discussion of leather in these cars, seems most all the leather is coated with some kind of vinyl coating anyhow. I think the only thing of leather not so treated is the steering wheel - but I could be mistaken. And there really isn't much leather anyhow, the dash, door panels, console cover, headrest, the entire back of the seats are not leather. Having said that, I still apply a leather conditioner to the seats and steering wheel. I think it's a good idea to apply a good UV protectant to the dash and door areas - 303 Aerospace is a popular choice 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303 as the sun can fade interiors and also makes cleaning a little easier.
The seats aren't leather? That's a bit surprising.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmxaudi
The seats aren't leather? That's a bit surprising.
Only the seating surfaces are leather. You can feel the difference just between where you sit on the seat cushion and the part of the seat cushion directly in front of you.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a pic of the seat bolsters on my Infiniti G35 after using Lexol conditioner. The cleaner was good but not the conditioner. But this was a different leather than what is in an Audi A4. Mileage may vary.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mwardA4
Beware of Lexol leather conditioner. I used it on the leather bolsters of the sport seats on my previous car ( Infiniti G35 ). It made the leather buttery soft at first, but then relaxed the leather so much that the bolsters began to fold over. At first I thought it was the best leather conditioner in the world. But the relaxation ruined the seats. It causes leather to stretch out. I used it on a golf glove that was too small for me one time, and the glove actually expanded to twice the size of my hand.
Damn. That's scary. I've used lexol twice till date after many here said it was a good product. You've managed to scare me.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, not trying to trash Lexol. Lots of people love it, but it has leather expanding properties beyond other leather conditioners. Best to use in moderation.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Interior Cleaning?