A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Super Sensitive Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super Sensitive Alarm?

Been bugging me a bit over the last few months. Sometimes I leave the car with the windows down while it's in the garage. The problem is that almost every time I walk past the car it tries to blow my ear drums out with the alarm. It is seriously loud for a factory alarm, like really loud when you're in a concrete box. I assume it has infrared motion sensors somewhere inside the car. Glass normally does a great job of absorbing infrared, but with the windows down it detects me walking by and deafens me. Plus the damn thing locks itself constantly :-P. Not even sure there's much to do, and overall the car is fantastic, just wanted to vent.

Last edited by oesman; 04-21-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 531 Likes on 363 Posts

If the car didn't do this, it wouldn't be working properly.

If you want to leave the car in the garage with the windows down, turn the internal alarm sensor off.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What's the reason for keeping the window open? To let the heat escape?

Maybe you can just leave the sunroof open or open the windows on the other side where you wouldn't walk past by it?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
If the car didn't do this, it wouldn't be working properly.

If you want to leave the car in the garage with the windows down, turn the internal alarm sensor off.
Right I'm not saying it's working incorrectly . I'm just bitching . I didn't realize i could turn the sensor off, going to have to dig through the manual. Thanks!

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
What's the reason for keeping the window open? To let the heat escape?

Maybe you can just leave the sunroof open or open the windows on the other side where you wouldn't walk past by it?
Eh no real reason, just because it's not super hot yet in Houston I'm enjoying driving without AC on. So when I park I don't really roll the windows up or close the sunroof since I'll just have to open it all again in the AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oesman
Eh no real reason, just because it's not super hot yet in Houston I'm enjoying driving without AC on. So when I park I don't really roll the windows up or close the sunroof since I'll just have to open it all again in the AM.
So much dust Would get into every nook and cranny.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Although I'm not familiar with your exact model, some A8s have ultrasonic sensors in the cabin in case you want to lock it with the windows down it will alarm if anyone reaches inside. They are mounted in the headliner near the controls for the various overhead lights IIRC. It sounds like your sensors are turned up way too sensitive; the dealer can calibrate them. You could try taping over a slot or two as a short-term cure. Careful, though, the sensors for the cabin temp are in there and if you seal the wrong one, your AC will go nuts. Or you could probably disable the automatic locking via the MMI. that's one "feature" I could do without! If you disable the sensors you'll have to do it each time you get out, if it's like the A8/S8.

HTH
Tom
Old 04-22-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 531 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by oesman
... I didn't realize i could turn the sensor off, going to have to dig through the manual. Thanks!
Always worth looking through the manual, but it is the red switch on the end face of the driver's door. You need to activate it each time, as the system resets the internal sensors back on after the next lock cycle.