A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Suspension loose on turns at higher speeds@35mph+

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension loose on turns at higher speeds@35mph+

My 2017 A4 Quattro @14.5Kmiles, suspension seems to have loosened especially on turns at higher speeds@35mph+ & the body roll seems/feels to have increased. The ride seems to be OK as before(especially on a straight road) and is not soft.

Thoughts? Ideas? on next steps
Old 10-05-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you have the adaptive suspension, which was a factory option on some trims for MY2017? If so, you probably know that the suspension firmness is adjustable via your Drive Select settings. Comfort = soft, Auto = medium, Dynamic = firm.

Even if you have one of the fixed suspensions, you probably also know that the Drive Select buttons will still affect the ride by adjusting the electromechanical resistance provided by the power steering system, making the wheel easier or harder to turn. The effect is subtle and does not affect the shocks, but an easier to turn wheel as you'd have while in Comfort setting can sometimes seem like a lack of suspension tightness because road feel through the steering column is somewhat reduced.

Other ideas:
- is your tire pressure OK? Keep in mind the A4 system uses an indirect TPMS system that measures tire pressure differential by comparing # of axle rotations while driving straight: you won't get a TPMS light on the dash if all 4 tires are low, only if one of them is low as compared to the other 3.
- is your alignment good? I'm sure you'd know if it wasn't but worth asking.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the answer.

Originally Posted by mplsbrian

Even if you have one of the fixed suspensions, you probably also know that the Drive Select buttons will still affect the ride by adjusting the electromechanical resistance provided by the power steering system, making the wheel easier or harder to turn. The effect is subtle and does not affect the shocks, but an easier to turn wheel as you'd have while in Comfort setting can sometimes seem like a lack of suspension tightness because road feel through the steering column is somewhat reduced.
I suspect the above to be the case. Recently due to excess traffic on local roads I have keeping it on "Comfort" setting.
Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Other ideas:
- is your tire pressure OK? Keep in mind the A4 system uses an indirect TPMS system that measures tire pressure differential by comparing # of axle rotations while driving straight: you won't get a TPMS light on the dash if all 4 tires are low, only if one of them is low as compared to the other 3.
- is your alignment good? I'm sure you'd know if it wasn't but worth asking.
Tire pressure should be good(will check).
Alignment, I have no clue, the steering does keep straight on a straight road without any correction from me - so assuming that is an indicator it should be ok. However, will check.