A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

T-mobile promotion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 PM
djm
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-mobile promotion

Not to be an advertisement, but just a note that T-mobile started a promotion last week for a free third line if you already have two lines. As well as 10gb/month of high-speed hotspot/tethering use per line (previously tethering was limited to low speed).

Since they give unlimited data, it should be a good way to use this hack [https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...#post24806402]] to get a free hotspot in your car with unlimited data.

(You'd still need to pay for Audi Connect to get traffic and Google Earth, but on its own that only comes with 6gb of hotspot, lifetime.)

My SIM is coming in a few days...
Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you request a voice SIM or a device SIM?

is this the only coding you plan on making?

" On the topic of using an external SIM card for data, there is an adaptation channel in 5F called "Internal SIM card; use" with the default setting of "always". Changing this to "automatic" extends the Data Connection Settings
menu and allows entering an APN, username and password. The MIB2 detected the required APN automatically based on the SIM card inserted just like older MMI head units."

Lastly,will this route all data through the TMobile SIM card or just the wifi?

If all, are you sure the Audi connect features will continue to work throught the SIm card rather than the eSIM?

Last edited by Donkihad; 03-04-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

As he wrote (and others have confirmed), the mod will allow only wifi hotspot through the sim card. All of the other AC Prime features will still be routed via the esim.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Donkihad
Did you request a voice SIM or a device SIM?

is this the only coding you plan on making?

" On the topic of using an external SIM card for data, there is an adaptation channel in 5F called "Internal SIM card; use" with the default setting of "always". Changing this to "automatic" extends the Data Connection Settings
menu and allows entering an APN, username and password. The MIB2 detected the required APN automatically based on the SIM card inserted just like older MMI head units."

Lastly,will this route all data through the TMobile SIM card or just the wifi?

If all, are you sure the Audi connect features will continue to work throught the SIm card rather than the eSIM?
A t-mobile voice SIM does work in the MMI (well, it did at least several months ago, I haven't tired it recently). If an external SIM is in the MMI then all data will route thought that SIM, so any data for AudiConnect (Google Earth, etc.) and the included WiFi hotspot data you are paying twice for (not a big deal with unlimited data but if over 2GB used you won't get the $10 kickback). The hack that enabled Google Earth for Canada may also work in the US but all the other AudiConnect features will stop working.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks. I suspected it was all or nothing through the same SIM. Thanks for confirming.

I am paying for Audi Connect, therefore would not want to use my T-Mobile data if I am already paying for 6GB from the eSIM.

Last edited by Donkihad; 03-05-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:18 PM
djm
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donkihad
I am paying for Audi Connect, therefore would not want to use my T-Mobile data if I am already paying for 6GB from the eSIM.
Indeed you shouldn't – until you use up the 6gb, which I must admit I did not initially realize was lifetime rather than monthly. If you're eligible for the promotion and think you might use it up eventually, it might be worth ordering the SIM now. Then again not everyone has any use or the hotspot at all.

I ordered a tablet SIM, will post if it works... They did claim they could switch the plan to a voice plan if necessary.

Last edited by djm; 03-05-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the T-Mobile sim in my car. It was working fine until a couple months ago. I no longer can connect to Audi connect to get addresses I sent to the car. Did something change? It's just a T-Mobile sim I have through my family plan. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rj12
I have the T-Mobile sim in my car. It was working fine until a couple months ago. I no longer can connect to Audi connect to get addresses I sent to the car. Did something change? It's just a T-Mobile sim I have through my family plan. Has anyone else had this problem?
Did the coding change? Did your AudiConnect subscription expire? Does the SIM work in a phone?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's not a real Audi connect subscription. This is essentially a T-Mobile sim for data/cell use. It was working for a while and just recently stopped. It seems like it still gets data for maps, but will not connect to Audi connect or retrieve address sent through Audi connect app.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What region are you in? What Audi model do you drive?

Quick Reply: T-mobile promotion