A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Text messages (SMS) announcement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Text messages (SMS) announcement

Does anybody know if it is possible to let the MMI for instance beep or give a pop up when a text message comes in? Now only a little envelope appears on the MMI, but no sound is made and that little thingie is hardly noticed..

Thx,
JST
Old 03-15-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jee-esteke
Does anybody know if it is possible to let the MMI for instance beep or give a pop up when a text message comes in? Now only a little envelope appears on the MMI, but no sound is made and that little thingie is hardly noticed..

Thx,
JST
US Manual page 165, Messages>Message Options>Read Out
Old 03-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave W
US Manual page 165, Messages>Message Options>Read Out
Sorry, but this is for reading out incoming messages. That's not what I want. I just want an announcement when a messages comes in. I don't want the message to be read by the female voice. There might be other people in my car and I don't want them to hear the messages. I just want a chime of some sort so that I can check on the phone itself (in case other people are in my car)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

I think you can. I understand that once the phone is paired to the MMI, itself is not going to make any "noise". I made the MMI (the car's speakers should I say) announce my iPhone's google map navigation guidance via blue tooth. I forgot the exact setting. I will find out when I get into car next time. I believe that way, the phone's chim will be heard.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Try page 234, Adjusting The System Volume>Message Volume

Not sure if your Euro manual has a different page for this info.

Last edited by Dave W; 03-15-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jee-esteke

Thx,
JST
Not exactly what you're looking for, but there's also an exclamation point that appears on the phone icon in the virtual cockpit while you have an unread text. Not sure if there is an equivalent for cars without the virtual cockpit.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In addition to the envelope and the exclamation point you can get the MMI to beep when you get a text message. It's deep in the tel settings. You can bring up a volume control for the beep. Even on the highest setting the beep is very low. If you have music on at a low volume you'll never hear it. That's all you can do to notify you when you get a text. There is no option for a pop up or visual notification on the MMI. Even if you do hear the beep getting to the text message to read it on the MMI it's four pages deep so it's totally useless if your driving. Audi dropped the ball big time with this one. I guess they don't want us reading text messages.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 03-15-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Up-n-Coming is right. It can be set to give a little ding when a text comes in. The volume is very low, but I have found it to be usually audible. I actually find the voice readout to be very helpful. Plus, if you disable VIM you can scroll through and read the entire text.

All that said, I find sending and receiving texts through Android Auto to be far superior to the MMI.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I hear a digital beep(along with my text sound on phone) when a message comes in. I usually have Pandora playing so Im not paying attention to the screen and the phone is helf on the vent covering the message indicator. If I miss the sound, Ill see the exclamation point in the dash.