A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Turbo Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Engine Reliability

A friend of mine has an older BMW SUV. A technician at the BMW dealership told her that she was lucky her vehicle did not have the turbo engine. He sees quite a few vehicles with turbo engines come in for repairs. This had me concerned about buying a vehicle with a turbo engine.

Consumer Reports has an article on their website about reliability of turbo engines. Their survey data shows many turbo engines are reliable. But, some members reported problems with certain turbocharged engines compared to nonturbo engines. A few of those needed engine replacements. It said that automakers with more experience building turbo engines are more reliable. The article says that Audi has been building turbos since the 1980s and their survey data shows the 2.0 to be reliable. A graph shows reliability of automaker and different engines they offer. Their survey shows that among Audi, Lexus, Honda, Porsche, BMW and others scored better. Obviously, their survey could not included every vehicle in the US and it doesn't say how many respondents they have for each brand.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Car9
A friend of mine has an older BMW SUV. A technician at the BMW dealership told her that she was lucky her vehicle did not have the turbo engine. He sees quite a few vehicles with turbo engines come in for repairs. This had me concerned about buying a vehicle with a turbo engine.

Consumer Reports has an article on their website about reliability of turbo engines. Their survey data shows many turbo engines are reliable. But, some members reported problems with certain turbocharged engines compared to nonturbo engines. A few of those needed engine replacements. It said that automakers with more experience building turbo engines are more reliable. The article says that Audi has been building turbos since the 1980s and their survey data shows the 2.0 to be reliable. A graph shows reliability of automaker and different engines they offer. Their survey shows that among Audi, Lexus, Honda, Porsche, BMW and others scored better. Obviously, their survey could not included every vehicle in the US and it doesn't say how many respondents they have for each brand.
Me too........ was concern about turbo reliability but has grown comfortable with it, not sure i would do the Volvo super and turbo yet though.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

If you wan't a non-turbo Audi in the US you have to buy an R8 or an e-tron.

I think it's safe to say Audi wouldn't put turbos in 98% of the vehicles they sell here if a very large number of very smart engineers didn't believe them to be reliable.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 11-02-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That tech probably sees a lot of BMWs come in for repair. Did he have a warning about that too?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi has been doing small displacement turbo engines for decades. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Lots of turbo engines around. I think there are very few NA engines now compared to turbo engines. They’re fine. No use worrying about it. It’s like someone worrying about accidents. NA engines can fail too.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:12 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Car9

In the BMW case, I think there were significantly greater reliability issues with the first generation of turbo inline 6 and the first turbo V8. I'm not sure whether any of those issues are really related to the turbo, but certainly, in years when BMW gave you a choice between the old-fashioned naturally-aspirated 3.0L I6 and the new turbo I6, the turbo one was a much riskier reliability bet.

In the Audi case, the EA888 family is their bread and butter gasoline engine worldwide. Turbo direct-injected Audis have been around since... MY2006? Audi pioneered the idea of using a DI turbo engine as a substitute for a larger displacement naturally-aspirated engine, years before Ford (the next big adopter of the idea) and later the other Germans followed. Since the 3.2L naturally-aspirated V6 was discontinued for MY2010 in the A4, the 2.0T EA888 is the boring engine, the one that random posers buy if they want an Audi just for the badge. It is not a 'high-performance' option the way some domestic or BMW turbos were in some years. So, really, it's going to be as solid and reliable as anything else Audi builds.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The parts specific to turbocharged engines are generally reliable on VWs and Audis. Early B8 A4s had a problem with the wastegate flapper that was corrected and warranty was extended. Frequent oil changes (shorter than Audi's 10k intervals) are highly recommended with all turbos.

Even Audi's 1980s turbo engines are reliable. Plenty of them still on the road with the original turbo charger and rolling past 200k miles.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
If you wan't a non-turbo Audi in the US you have to buy an R8 or an e-tron.

I think it's safe to say Audi wouldn't put turbos in 98% of the vehicles they sell here if a very large number of very smart engineers didn't believe them to be reliable.
the turbo in my 2000 a6 2.7t was the opposite of reliable. It drove me to a NA BMW for 17 years. When I got my A4, the sales guys knew all about the 2000 and had all kinds of excuses about why that was just a one off design issue.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by insanefreak

the turbo in my 2000 a6 2.7t was the opposite of reliable. It drove me to a NA BMW for 17 years. When I got my A4, the sales guys knew all about the 2000 and had all kinds of excuses about why that was just a one off design issue.
I mean OK but that was 19 years ago. That’s like saying saying my kid shat his pants once when he was two so he’s not allowed to go to prom without a diaper on.

Things change man, lessons get learned and development happens. If Audi was dropping turbos left and right for 19 years they wouldn’t exist as a company anymore.

Quick Reply: Turbo Engine Reliability