A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Very annoying rear noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very annoying rear noise

Hey everyone,
I searched around a bit, but didn't find a specific match to my issue. On my new A4, 100 miles on it, there's a very light ticking/rattling sound that we think is coming from the rear shelf area. I put someone in the backseat and they thought it was coming from behind the rear cupholder, and my ear is telling me either behind the cupholder or the far rear driver's side of the parcel shelf. I found an audio clip in another thread that seemed like plastic on glass noise, but this is more like something plastic shaking? Does this sound like the TSB for the rear window clips? Trying to arm myself with some insight before I go into the dealership. Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had the exact same issue with my new A4. It ended up being a metal clip touching another surface. I believe they are used to align the rear window during installation, but aren’t really needed afterwards. They filed mine back and the VERY annoying noise was gone. They couldn’t find it at first but I told them to check the clips since it’s an issue that’s cropped up in A4s before. If you need it I can shoot you a picture of the paperwork for the repair to show the techs, just shoot me a PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Have the dealer check the fiber optic strip for the led lighting in the rear door panels as well, that's what mine turned out to be. I've also noticed the passenger side headrest rattles sometimes as well.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Just go in. Dealers are authorized to investigate and fix rattles under warranty. The only thing you need to arm yourself with is a way to reliably reproduce the issue. It might be the TSB, it might not, either way you're going to leave with a service loaner for a day or two while they pull some panels and apply felt tape wherever they think it belongs.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I dropped it off today, they're gonna take a look. Coming out of my BMW, I always avoided going in for service because they'd require an appointment and often not get to it for a couple days. Then they'd just say they couldn't replicate it, so I've gotten used to doing my due diligence before going in. Audi got me in without an appointment this morning, gave me a service loaner too.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: guy couldn't replicate the sound, so they called me to go on a test drive with him. He heard what I was talking about, and thinks it's coming from the seat, behind the cupholder or something? Trying to see if he can get warranty clearance to replace the seat, but I'm personally not sure if that'll fix it. Really appreciate how quickly they got onto working on my car though, the BMW dealership next door was so much worse.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Second update: they called saying "that noise is normal operation of the vehicle". God, that's annoying.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GlacierB9
Second update: they called saying "that noise is normal operation of the vehicle". God, that's annoying.
Sorry to hear that...make sure it's not the same problem as my vehicle. They may not know where to look. See my post and there are other posts on the S4 and A5 forums:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...lemon-2952951/
Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by traumeri
Sorry to hear that...make sure it's not the same problem as my vehicle. They may not know where to look. See my post and there are other posts on the S4 and A5 forums:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...lemon-2952951/
I just gave them a call and complained to the service manager, he says he’ll look into it. Mine sounds like a baby rattle or a little plastic part being shaken in a plastic toy, what did yours sound like specifically?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I apologize for the multiple posts, just trying to keep a journal here documenting the issue for the future reference of others. Might have tracked down the majority of the rattle down to the rear seat "locks" for raising/lowering the bench. Need to play some bass and go over rough patches of highway to confirm it's stopped, though. If this doesn't work, we're back to the drawing board lol.

Quick Reply: Very annoying rear noise