A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Virtual Cockpit maps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Virtual Cockpit maps?

Is it the virtual cockpit using Google Earth?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Yes
Old 03-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Williams
Is it the virtual cockpit using Google Earth?
It uses both google and normal gps map. If you have mobile connection you can choose between google maps and normal map in 2d, 3d, overview and what not.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BananSWE
It uses both google and normal gps map. If you have mobile connection you can choose between google maps and normal map in 2d, 3d, overview and what not.
You mean you have to supply your own connection or is it included?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the US 2017 Audi A4 you have to subscribe to Audi Connect to get online data and services. In ROW you can provide (for now at least) your own data SIM for internet access.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that you can use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto by plugging in your phone, and this will use your existing phone data plan to display map information.

I have an iPhone, and I think the current version of CarPlay will not let me display Google Maps through the CarPlay system; that leaves me with Apple Maps as my navigation system.

Does anyone know if the maps pulled from the CarPlay system will display on the Virtual Cockpit display?

I have a sinking feeling that if I don't want to pay for Audi Connect I won't be looking at maps on the VC.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
In the US 2017 Audi A4 you have to subscribe to Audi Connect to get online data and services. In ROW you can provide (for now at least) your own data SIM for internet access.
Oh... looks like Audi Connect is not available in Canada. Which means no Google Earth/Maps for the virtual cockpit.

Well virtual cockpit is completely useless in Canada then.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drbooya
My understanding is that you can use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto by plugging in your phone, and this will use your existing phone data plan to display map information.

I have an iPhone, and I think the current version of CarPlay will not let me display Google Maps through the CarPlay system; that leaves me with Apple Maps as my navigation system.

Does anyone know if the maps pulled from the CarPlay system will display on the Virtual Cockpit display?

I have a sinking feeling that if I don't want to pay for Audi Connect I won't be looking at maps on the VC.
Think of CarPlay and AndroidAuto as Virtual Machine that runs on top of the MMI, there is no direct data exchange. The VC doesn't do CarPlay but CarPlay can be shown on the MMI center screen. The VC can show the MMI Nav while the MMI is in CarPlay mode (confusing but possible if I'm not mistaken). If you activate MMI route guidance on the VC (via steering wheel or before switching the MMI to CarPlay) you can still use CarPlay on the MMI screen.

The MMI allows in the US version to tether to a phone to get/share data instead of using the data from AudiConnect. However, Google Earth view is only mentioned as part of AudiConnect (free for 6 months, then $33/month or $199 for 18 months), the manual does not specify if AudiConnect features like GoogleEarth view are usable if the MMI is tethered to a phone. While the MMI head unit has a SIM card slot, there is no option mentioned in the US A4 manual to use a separate data SIM for AudiConnect - this option exists in ROW for now though, so it might be a coding that can be changed.

Even with AudiConnect, navigation will remain fully functional. You may just not get the pretty Google Earth view without AudiConnect.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Peter Williams
Oh... looks like Audi Connect is not available in Canada. Which means no Google Earth/Maps for the virtual cockpit.

Well virtual cockpit is completely useless in Canada then.
Try to take a look at the Canadian user manual, there may be the option to tether the MMI to a phone and get data and some services that way.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know the status of this in Canada? Does it tether to an iphone or android to get the google earth interface?

Quick Reply: Virtual Cockpit maps?